Law [Jussie Smollett Trial] Illinois Appellate Court Tossed Out Jussie’s Challenge, Upheld 150-Day Jail Sentence.

no I’m trying to point out how much extra work this hoax made. I think I agree with you? Like this caused more hours on top of their regular work

Ok. I thought you were saying the 3,000 hours was a lie because that many officers couldn’t do that much work in 1 or 2 weeks

Ok. I thought you were saying the 3,000 hours was a lie because that many officers couldn’t do that much work in 1 or 2 weeks
Oh no lol I was breaking it down to I guess see myself how much 3000 divided by 24 was and then like if they did it all in 1 week what did they work, etc.

I heard the judge yelled "this is MAGA country" before lunging at her.

@brackis1 in this thread. Dude just can’t admit that he wanted Jussie to be telling the truth and his world is now shattered

I wanted it to be true

hear me out though, I didn’t want to think anyone would fake an attack like this and similar attacks against LGBTQ+ have turned out to be even deadly. It wasn’t far fetched to believe a gay man could be a target like this.

I wanted it to be true

hear me out though, I didn’t want to think anyone would fake an attack like this and similar attacks against LGBTQ+ have turned out to be even deadly. It wasn’t far fetched to believe a gay man could be a target like this.
I mean maybe. It being during a cold snap though made it very unbelievable. It also came when there was a massive trend of fake crimes. Think the lesbian waitress who said her tip was “we don’t support your lifestyle “ started that trend

The reason you are so committed to this thread, despite your insistence that this issue doesn't matter, is because you realize that its a point of vulnerability for the progressive left. For them, the idea that white America is virulently and irremediably racially supremacist is a core tenet, the only problem being that it is not true.

And of course, you both insist that Smollet doesn't matter a whit and want to make the entire affair about him, despite me saying almost nothing about him. It's about the progressive media and politicians that rush to judgment in case after case based on their racial prejudice, crucifying people like Nick Sandmann solely because of their race, and again and again falling for silly hoaxes like Smollet's and using them as opportunities to hurl invectives at half the country based on crude racial stereotyping. It's gross, but here you are defending it.

Having explicitly abandoned any attempt at racial impartiality, it's no surprise that racial bigotry is burgeoning on the left.

This is the reason we don’t get 10-7 rounds.

Calm Reasoned Brutality.

Court rests in Jussie Smollett trial, possible jury deliberation to come on Dec. 6, judge says
Covered by: Edmund DeMarche , Tyler McCarthy and Julius Young

65cf85434fb613feb73f585998443b76.jpg

After a tense day of testimony, the court will rest until Monday, Dec. 6 or Tuesday, Dec. 7, judge Linn said on Thursday.

During defense testimony from Dr. Robert Torelli of Northwestern University, who treated Smollett following the alleged attack, the doctor said Smollett presented and appeared to have been the victim an assault.

He maintained that Smollett’s injuries were indeed real and that after examining Smollett for injuries described as a “sore face, scratches on cheeks, sore shoulders and ribs,” he ordered X-rays and a CT scan for the actor.

On cross-examination, prosecutors made it point to mention that while Dr. Torelli can determine if Smollett was injured, he is not able to necessarily identify the cause and that is should not be his intent to determine an exact cause for Smollett’s injuries.

Dr. Torelli pressed that he did not identify any major injuries to Smollett given the tests that were ran on Smollett.

Meanwhile, Smollett’s publicist, Pamela Sharp also took the stand for the defense and detailed Smollett’s earning history during his time on “Empire.”

Sharp indicated that Smollett earned $20-$30k per episode when he began as an actor on the show and that by Season 5, his pay had increased significantly to $100-$125k at 18 episodes per season – for a gross of $2.25 million.

Sharp said she partially negotiated the “Good Morning America” sit down interview Smollett would ultimately do with Robin Roberts – but said Smollett was reluctant to do press overall.

“They want to hear from you,” she recalled telling Smollett. “Please just do a one and done.”

Jussie Smollett’s former music manager, Brandon Z. Moore, takes the stand

Jussie Smollett’s former music manager, Brandon Z. Moore, was questioned by the Smollett defense team on Thursday and testified that he was on the phone with the actor during the alleged attack.

Moore testified that he heard a derogatory term for a gay male, in addition to the words “MAGA Country” and that Smollett then told him over the phone, “I just got jumped.”

Moore was then handed over to the prosecution for cross-examination.

While answering questions from prosecutors, Moore relayed that his professional relationship with Smollett began in 2017.

“We stopped working before Covid. Obviously things had slowed down,” he said, adding, “We parted ways.”

Moore said he considered Smollett to be one of his famous clients and explained that he had a direct hand in managing the former “Empire” actor and made 20% of anything Smollett did.

When asked if he would ever consider working with Smollett again, Moore said it would depend on the circumstance.

In 2018, Moore said Smollett released a music album, titled “Sum of My Music” in which both men donated the proceeds.

Prosecutors then show Moore an Instagram photo on Moore’s account posted the day Smollett was allegedly beaten.

Moore said it never crossed his mind that Smollett would stage a hate crime in Chicago.

Prosecutors pose the question: “Mr. Moore – do you believe Jussie Smollett staged a hate crime?” to which Moore responds, “No.”

Jussie Smollett’s defense attorney requests mistrial, accuses judge of lunging at her

The trial of Jussie Smollett had gone on without a hitch until Thursday when his defense attorney, Tamara Walker accused Cook County Judge James Linn of physically lunging at her.

Following a cross-examination witness Ola Osundario, Walker went on to request a mistrial which was denied by the judge.

In a very tense moment, the defense team for Smollett and lead Prosecutor Dan Webb migrated into the Judge’s chambers with Judge Linn while Attorney Walker, who broke down in tears and asked for a mistrial is across the hall composing herself.

Walker could be seen wiping tears as she told Judge Linn that he was basically hitting her defense by not allowing her to finish asking Olabinjo Osundairo about an alleged homophobic Tweet.

The jury was asked to leave the room while defense attorney Walker argued for a mistrial, in a very emotional moment before Judge Linn, taking umbrage with Linn calling her line of questioning “unfocused” and disallowing a sidebar with him to discuss his remarks.

Judge Linn also called her comments “collateral,” which the judge explained meant that she was talking about things outside the scope of the questioning.

The judge says, “There will be no mistrial.”

“I was shocked that you said those words,” Judge Linn said. “Your motion is respectfully denied.”

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/jussie-smollett-trial-day-4.amp

So wait, the defense attorney is accusing the judge of what exactly? Intimidation? Attempted assault?

From start to finish this case has been the gift that keeps on giving. Olabinjo bless.

This is absolutely bizarre, man! One minute they tried to convince the jury that Osundairo is "homophobic", then the very next moment they insenuates that he's been secretly banging Smollett. o_O

Shay Allen: “When did you and Jussie start dating?”

Abel Osundairo: “What? We were never dating!”

Shay Allen: “Were you using the sexual tension between you to progress your acting career?”

Abel Osundairo: “I didn’t know there was sexual tension!”

And here I thought White Supremacist Nigerians was already at the epitome of contradiction in this saga. My only regret is we can't watch this bullshit defense going down on live TV. :eek:

He just needss to puut his hand up and say he staged it. I hope he takes the stand...

What would be the cost of 24 detectives logging 3,000 hours of work?

Here are some previous headlines about the separate Federal Civil Lawsuit filed by the City of Chicago against Jussie Smollett to recoup their wasted investigation costs back.

A Guilty verdict from this case would make that lawsuit a slam-dunk, though I'm inclined to agree with @BAM that Jussie might already be broke since Hollywood avoided him like the plague these past 3 years.
----

City of Chicago to sue Jussie Smollett for refusing to pay $130K for investigation costs
By CNN | Aug 1, 2019

Thursday was the deadline for actor Jussie Smollett to pay the $130,106.15 bill sent to him by the city of Chicago, to cover the cost of the investigation into his claim he was the victim of a possible hate crime.

He didn’t pay.

“The Law Department is now drafting a civil complaint that will be filed in Circuit Court of Cook County,” Bill McCaffrey, a spokesman for the agency, said.

In a letter sent to the “Empire” actor on March 28, the city’s corporation counsel said that if he didn’t pay in the next seven days, he might be prosecuted using Chicago’s municipal code or other legal remedies.

“The city feels this is a reasonable and legally justifiable amount to collect to help offset the costs of the investigation,” McCaffrey said at the time.

The letter was sent after a prosecutor unexpectedly dropped 16 felony disorderly conduct charges against Smollett, who was accused of staging the attack on himself.

CNN has tried to reach the actor’s attorneys. Previously, they declined to comment on the letter and referred CNN to a statement that said outgoing Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson should apologize to Smollett.

Smollett, who is black and gay, had told police that two men attacked him on January 29, yelling racist and homophobic slurs while striking him, police said. Smollett also said the men placed a noose around his neck and poured bleach on him, according to police.

More than two dozen police personnel spent weeks working the case, the letter sent to Smollett said, diverting law enforcement resources that could have been used to investigate other crimes.

Police ultimately came to believe Smollett staged the attack to bolster his profile and career. The actor has insisted he told the truth about the attack.[/quote]

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/ill...cle_13b3feed-c606-5d24-b75e-955fb6374246.html
---

Jussie Smollett fails to persuade judge to drop Chicago lawsuit seeking $130,000 fine
MARIA PUENTE | USA TODAY | October 22, 2019

Chicago's effort to make former "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett pay a six-figure civil fine for allegedly wasting police time on an alleged hoax hate-crime claim survived Tuesday, after a federal judge denied Smollett's motion to dismiss, according to The Associated Press.

Smollett's lawyers sought to have the lawsuit thrown out on multiple grounds, including that Smollett himself did not direct Chicago police to spend weeks investigating his claim and could not have known how much time and money would be spent.

In ruling, U.S. District Judge Virginia Kendall said "it isn’t unreasonable to think" the Chicago police would make a strong effort to investigate a purported racist and homophobic attack, especially given Smollett's celebrity and the "volatile climate" of the city.

The ruling allows the lawsuit to proceed and the case moves to the discovery phase. It could go to a civil trial by 2020.

William Quinlan, Smollett's Chicago lawyer, said in an email to USA TODAY that the ruling means the case will be "decided on the facts and not the pleadings." He said he was not surprised at the decision given that it's a "very high bar" to get a case dismissed based on the pleadings.

"The pleadings are just the city’s side of the story. Now, Mr. Smollett will get to present his side of the case," Quinlan said. "Mr. Smollett has always maintained his innocence and is eager to have the complete facts of the case come out. He looks forward to taking depositions and otherwise bringing to light many of the facts that have been overlooked in the court of public opinion to date.

"Mr. Smollett is confident that once the full story is available he will be vindicated."

Smollett claimed he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in downtown Chicago in January. But after several weeks of investigation, Chicago police claimed that he made the whole thing up, hiring two brothers to pretend-attack him in order to boost his profile and paycheck on "Empire."

He was indicted on 16 felony counts of filing a false police report, but prosecutors in the Cook County State's Attorney's office abruptly dropped the charges, to the surprise and loud fury of practically everybody, including the city's mayor, police chief, police unions, judges, and other state prosecutors.

Smollett continues to insist he is innocent and was exonerated. Earlier this month, he posted a comment on Instagram responding after comparisons were made on social media between Smollett and a 12-year-old Virginia girl whose family admitted she made up her claim that white students held her down and cut her dreadlocks.

“With all due respect brother, y’all can clown me all you want but my story has actually never changed and I haven’t lied about a thing,” Smollett wrote on the post. “Y’all can continue to be misinformed, internalized sheep, who believe what actual proven liars feed you or you can read the actual docs. Either way, Imma be alright. I know me and what happened. You don’t. So carry on. All Love."

But State's Attorney Kim Foxx rejected Smollett's assertion he was exonerated. She said dismissing the charges and imposing a $10,000 fine on Smollett was in line with how similar cases involving first-time offenders had been handled in the past.

Foxx is now being investigated by an independent special prosecutor for her handling of the Smollett case. Depending on what the special prosecutor finds, there is a possibility that Smollett could be charged again with staging the attack.

Meanwhile, the city of Chicago went to state court in April to sue Smollett to recoup the cost in police overtime – set at $130,000 – in investigating his original claims.

The lawsuit was later moved to federal court after Smollett's attorneys argued that is the proper venue because Smollett, who lived in Chicago while filming "Empire," is actually a California resident.

"Empire" is in its sixth and final season, and Smollett lost his role on the show shortly after the scandal hit headlines.

The city sued Smollett in civil court under a municipal code that allows the city to impose fines on people who make "false statements" to authorities, thus wasting time and money. If it prevails, the city could collect up to three times the amount of damages the city sustains as a result of the violation – in Smollett’s case, that would be $390,000.

Smollett's lawyer, Mark Geragos, responded to the city's suit with defiance. In court documents, he called the city's stance "unconstitutional," "malicious," "false and defamatory," harassment and a violation of "double jeopardy" bans.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4000512002

Last edited:
I want to know how this idiot hasn’t plead to anything. He should have taken the first deal offered to him. His attorney is bilking him trying to take this to trial.

It has to be the delusion that pride instills inside of a man who has lived a consequence-free existence.

If he would have just told the truth all this would have been over by now. Instead he not only doubles down but starts making even more bullshit accusations.

I'm more concerned about those two awon omugo who are now accused of being sweet. If that rumor sticks they'll NEVER be able to go home again.

I personally think it wasn't a lovers quarrel. The only thing that would get a Nigerian to brave a polar vortex at 2am is money, not love.

I wanted it to be true

Well, now you know. Despite what the media has brainwashed you into believing, scum exists in all walks of life - even in your own circles of choice.

Yeah I just I mean I guess like people who cry rape, but this just seemed to unbelievable to not be true

Back