Junior's standup is still better than Cains. Do you agree or disagree?

JDS's standup is better, but the threat of Cain's TD gives Cain a slight edge.
When the fight again, Cain will again need to capitalize on that edge by bombing JDS early.

JDS is a better striker and hits harder. Some people are confused by the last fight, but Cain used a relentless pace to tire JDS out before he started with the striking.

By the time Cain was throwing the leather JDS was already so tired and wary of takedowns that he wasn't keeping his hands up. Even after he got rocked he wouldn't keep his hands up.

Cain won by a landslide, but let's be real. JDS would win a pure striking match every time. Cain won by forcing JDS to gas and not letting him set up his strikes. Hell, the first couple minutes of the fight I thought Cain looked ridiculous as he wiped out on numerous takedown attempts. It was only towards the end of round 1 (when Joe pointed it out) that I could see how exhausted JDS was from defending the takedowns.

#1 mistake by JDS was not punishing Cain when he failed on a takedown. If he would have been comfortable punching the downed gain or dropping into a top position on the ground he might have won.

JDS would probably win a boxing match, Cain has better MMA striking.

How is this even a question? The only reason Cain outstruck Jds was cause he was completely focused on defending takedowns. In a strictly stand up fight Jds wins 10/10 times.

Cain worked very well with his jab doubled it often...His boxing is underrated in my opinion...he uses lots of tight good punches...JDS is more powerful and has more solutions of course.

Of course it's better. There's some bits of Cain's game that are superior to Cigano's (his hooks are fucking nasty) but overall JDS has a more well versed striking offense.

That means fuck all when you're backpedaling, getting attacked for 25 minutes and getting dropped when you're trying to stop the TD. Obviously.

i agree. my opinion on the fight the other night was that i agree with what JDS himself said, he was concentrating too much on stopping the TD and instead wasn't paying enough attention to cain's standup.

anyone can get caught and cain caught jds with a bomb early, which he never recovered from - the fight was effectively over from the first round on.

IMO jds can still outbox cain - however him doing it while still having to worry about the TDs is another story. 3rd fight will tell.

I think Junior would win a kickboxing match against Cain.

easily

i picked cain to win and he did out strike jds but it was his cardio and wrestling that did it

cain set an almost sprinting pace that we almost never see at HW knowing that even if he gassed himself that he would gas JDS in the process. it took like a minuted of constant pressure and you could see it was effecting JDS bad. it was the same thing that happened to brock vs cain but brock actually initiated the pace and faded himself after a minute or so. beating JDS up was a bonus but what cain did was set a pace so that it JDS was too tired to throw with that sick ko power

saying cain has better standup than jds is probably coming from the same people who think hughes vs bj 2 was hughes finding his groove and for the first only time in his career he was outstriking someone lol. not just anyone but bj lol

Worrying about grappling is part of standup. They aren't mutually exclusive. If you a great wrestler you can strike more freely, because of your defense, like Chuck. Or like JDS usually...all that great striking he has displayed is built on him having confidence in his TDD.

Cain took his confidence in his grappling away, his striking went away. It's all built on wrestling. Nobody has ever seen either of them in a pure striking match. You don't know what would happen, and its never going to happen, because they don't compete in it.

What we all saw was Cain obliterate him in striking during their match. And that is the bottom line.

Straight up striking JDS destroys Cain, but the fear of the takedown makes Cain slightly better in MMA terms.

I would think jds has better boxing but what the hell was he doing when he got knocked down his left hand was straight down and he left his chin right there for Cain to crack .

I agree JDS standup is slightly better than Cain's, but I also agree Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez & Floyd Mayweathers standup is better than JDS. But this isn't boxing, its MMA. And Cain's MMA skills are superior to JDS.

What a thread...really? Jds all day.

Overeem won the K-1 WGP (dont think he was the best guy but thats gotta mean something). Yet in large portions of their fight, under the threat of TDs he was outstruck by Werdum.

That did not mean that Werdum is better striker than Overeem. Neither does the fact that JDS under the threat of TDs forgot his striking/striking defense means he's the lesser striker.

Cain is more versatile, this is obvious. Every other aspect- speed, precision, power, effectiveness goes to JDS

Back