Junior really needs a better team.

I disagree with that part. Being a bad stylistic matchup doesn't mean the person with the disadvantage has no chance. If JDS had better lateral movement, he might have been able to avoid the clinch and the cage. Better technical boxing (not just winging overhand rights) might have allowed him to put some good combinations on Cain, making Cain more careful (instead Cain just did as he damn well pleased as long as he avoided the big right). Better cardio would have allowed him to last longer. Finally a better gameplan would have allowed him to tie all this together.

If JDS ever beats Cain (and I still believe he can, with the right tools and gameplan), it will have to be by KO because (1) He can't outlast Cain and so won't be getting a decision and (2) Cain does have a somewhat suspect chin. He just needs to put some things together to have a higher possibility of getting the KO.

We might be talking about kind of different things then

I thought you meant with the skills he has now, simply a better game-plan would have worked. I don't think nearly enough time has gone by since their last fight for JDS to make the kind of improvements you are talking about. He may have worked on that stuff in his camp (or may not have) but it takes a decent amount of time to become a significantly better technical boxer with better movement.

But I do agree JDS needs to win by KO and that Cain's chin is questionable. He was hurt early in this fight. And Congo dropped him multiple times. If they ever fight again it will be at least a few years. I would guess JDS is going to be a much more complete and technical fighter at that point. I know he has his black-belt. But basically he is a striker. And since he knocked everybody out other than Nelson who he just beat on from bell to bell, he was not forced to adapt. But after this second loss, I expect him to be working on and tightening up all aspects of his game.

JDS needs to learn how to get off the cage or reverse that position.
Needs to learn to circle circle circle. He just stood there barely moving and let Cain pressure him into the cage.

Completely agree, he needs to let go of the chumps he had as a amateur or his career is a waste.

Another point he should fire this camp is the attitude of them: let their fighter bear all the onslaught without throwing the towel. It seems they didnt feel a pity for their fighter and hoped for a lucky shot in a hopeless situation => blindness and greedy. A greed coach is a bad coach

I agree, Junior is good enough to go into wrestling mode with Cain, he even reversed a few take downs and had successful take downs himself.

All while Junior's corner kept telling him to throw more combinations. WTF? It clearly wasn't working against Cain.

I agree. Terrible gameplan of leaning back against the cage to avoid takedown but eat punches elbows and knees contantly with Cains head in his face.

I noticed he hurt Cain with an uppercut at one stage but then backed off instead of putting together a combo to follow and potentially knock Cain down.

JDS also looked slow and heavy in the 1st round. Don't know if his conditioning training is very good. Needs to cut down on the strength training and work cardio for a year. If he loses some strength and weight who cares, he needs speed and quicker footwork. Also needs better stamina so punches he lands later in fights land with the same power.

he's gonna take you down ,throw your hands then

sounds like an awesome gameplan...

Yeah While Cain seemed stronger and more powerful for this fight, JDS just came in with the same "I can knock him out" gameplan. He pretty much backed himself up to the cage every time, no trying to circle, no foot work. Not to take anything away from Cain I think he did everything well but as a fan it would have been nice to see JDS try something different for this fight after all it's their third fight.

he was a better fighter before he got divorced, maybe he funneled his emotion into his sport.

he definitely needs to get back with his first wife or call it a career

His feeling of position is terrible, easily be cornered on a straight line, wtf? Who is his coach? Playing a same game and hoping for a different result? JDS has a very good chin, explosive hand, heart, he has potential be a beast but Brazilians seem very bad on strategy/ gameplan. They need a head to think for them. Everything at high level is won by strategy. Strategy is much more important than techniques.

He did decently when the fight is in the middle of the octagon, what he needed is to return to the center as soon as possible, e.g circle around Cain when he was near the edge, but he just move slowly and let Cain push him to the fence easily.

What he needs:
1 Jabs, train real boxing with high level coach like Freddie Roach
2 Footwork
3 Gameplan

Going to Jackson will be a good move

I just had to quote you man. Totally agree. The Brazilians never seem to gameplan but are surprised when an opponent uses one. Junior came in with the same gameplan as last time and expected a different result.

I'm really surprised that JDS doesn't know how to properly circle away with all his talk of being a "boxing guy".

In all his fights he backs straight into the fence whenever someone is coming forward.

He kept stumbling and falling into it in the Hunt and Cain II fighs too.

We might be talking about kind of different things then

I thought you meant with the skills he has now, simply a better game-plan would have worked. I don't think nearly enough time has gone by since their last fight for JDS to make the kind of improvements you are talking about. He may have worked on that stuff in his camp (or may not have) but it takes a decent amount of time to become a significantly better technical boxer with better movement.

But I do agree JDS needs to win by KO and that Cain's chin is questionable. He was hurt early in this fight. And Congo dropped him multiple times. If they ever fight again it will be at least a few years. I would guess JDS is going to be a much more complete and technical fighter at that point. I know he has his black-belt. But basically he is a striker. And since he knocked everybody out other than Nelson who he just beat on from bell to bell, he was not forced to adapt. But after this second loss, I expect him to be working on and tightening up all aspects of his game.

That is what I meant in the OP. I was just responding to some guy who said no matter what JDS did, the fight would have gone the same way because of a bad stylistic matchup. I was discussing a hypothetical situation in which he would have stood a better chance despite the styles.

A better gameplan, with his existing skill set would have given him a much better chance. At least we wouldn't have gotten to see a repeat of the second fight.

Gymkata all the way

gymkata7.jpg

For some reason that movie used to really creep me out.

If you're facing a v.g. wrestler, and you're not a wrestler, the first thing you need to learn is how to stay away from the fence! CIRCLE! a. Silva is a master of circling.

JDS shouldn't need a team to tell him this. Or anyone to tell him to keep his hands up.

I assume we didn't see anyone like Anderson because he's concentrating on his own training camp. But where was the Nog's, neither of them in JDS's corner for this fight.

Back