Junior really needs a better team.

Merciless18

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The fight played out exactly like the 2nd one. He needed a better gameplan. This was his fight # 2 gameplan (avoid td by keeping hands low), and like fight # 2, he got blasted standing up and against the cage. He also didn't seem to improve his conditioning a great deal. Also, he looked lost whenever his back was against the cage, like he didn't know how to get out of there.

His current team either don't push him enough or don't have good enough coaches, in either case he needs to switch teams. Watching him get pummeled for 10 rounds like that against Cain was dreadful to watch as a huge JDS fan.

Finally, huge props to Cain. He clearly is the best HW in the world.

Well, I can think of some different approaches I might have taken, the overwhelming factor is that Cain consistently outjabbed JDS, no matter the outlook of the exchange. That's huge. As I've stated before this many, many times, JDS isn't a very multi-faceted boxer. He can't deal with all situations. That cost him.

Gymkata all the way

gymkata7.jpg

Well, I can think of some different approaches I might have taken, the overwhelming factor is that Cain consistently outjabbed JDS, no matter the outlook of the exchange. That's huge. As I've stated before this many, many times, JDS isn't a very multi-faceted boxer. He can't deal with all situations. That cost him.

Could be he got outjabbed because his hands were too low, which isn't ideal position to be jabbing from. And I do kind of agree that JDS isn't too multi-faceted with is boxing, but that again is something his team should fix (and should've fixed so far into his UFC career I might add).

I think a visit to Stary Oskol would serve him well...

I think a visit to Stary Oskol would serve him well...

I thought that was the name of some trainer I hadn't heard of Lol. Googled it and turns out its a Russian city. Would you mind explaining ?

Edit: Never mind. Just found out its where the Last Emperor lives. Training with him would certainly help.

Could be he got outjabbed because his hands were too low, which isn't ideal position to be jabbing from. And I do kind of agree that JDS isn't too multi-faceted with is boxing, but that again is something his team should fix (and should've fixed so far into his UFC career I might add).

It isn't necessarily about his hands being too low. Look at Larry Holmes and a WW Tommy Hearns (as two quick examples off of the top of my head). Very low lead hands and absolutely dominant jabs. JDS has a lot of talent and his boxing can certainly improve. He is confident in the pocket and he can take real shots which is often an obstacle people have to overcome which JDS has already passed. More movement, more coordinated head movement while punching and so on could really help JDS. I mean, there are much better qualified people than myself that can make proper adjustments for JDS in MMA, but I think there are rather subtle things that would make a big difference.

I don't think Brazilian camps focus on gameplans as much as American camps. As TS said, JDS appeared to have the same strategy in mind for Cain III as he did for Cain II, despite the fact that it had already failed. He did more or less the same things, with slightly more success at first, possibly because he trained better and didn't get caught with that huge overhand right in round 1 again. If he had a better gameplan, he at least wouldn't have been beaten in pretty much the same way.

I think if JDS works with Freddie Roach and learns to get punches off a split second quicker he could KO Cain again, he has the edge in power but didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

JDS has a lot of talent and his boxing can certainly improve. He is confident in the pocket and he can take real shots which is often an obstacle people have to overcome which JDS has already passed. More movement, more coordinated head movement while punching and so on could really help JDS.

He definitely needs to improve his lateral footwork. He showed decent head movement a couple of times against the cage, but threw no punches, which is something he needs to work on. With his physical gifts (iron chin and dynamite hands), improving his technical boxing will make his standup so much more devastating. But again, that reverts back to his team.

I thought he was improving in the right direction, but did not show the desperation.

Both his will and body did not seem to bend until very late. It looked like he was frustrated quicker last time, and as Rogan continued to scream, his arm endurance was looking better. He continued to show poise when hurt, but imo, not enough desperation. It seemed like he thought Cain would wilt by his own pace.

What he needs is more lateral movement and a greater variety of punches. Honestly, I think he'd benefit from training with Gustafsson.

He definitely needs to improve his lateral footwork. He showed decent head movement a couple of times against the cage, but threw no punches, which is something he needs to work on. With his physical gifts (iron chin and dynamite hands), improving his technical boxing will make his standup so much more devastating. But again, that reverts back to his team.

It does, and there are limits to every athlete. Part of me feels he should pursue boxing exclusively for a few years while going with a real boxing trainer. Then again, I'm drunk, now.

He certainly needs more positional strategy and coaching.

agree, not knowing what to do on the clinch the first time is a surprise... but second time around, hello, team's fault... coach's fault

He would have done so much better if he would have just attempted to make space and circle out from the cage regularly, What I don't understand is how his corner wasn't hounding him about that, Didn't hear 1 word about it from his coaches.

I don't think Brazilian camps focus on gameplans as much as American camps. As TS said, JDS appeared to have the same strategy in mind for Cain III as he did for Cain II, despite the fact that it had already failed. He did more or less the same things, with slightly more success at first, possibly because he trained better and didn't get caught with that huge overhand right in round 1 again. If he had a better gameplan, he at least wouldn't have been beaten in pretty much the same way.

That's kinda what I think too.

Man, I noticed Cain ducking a lot when Junior was swinging in the later rounds. I was thinking why not when he throws the right hook, uppercut hard with the left when Cain ducks? Seems Junior was just so distracted with Cain mixing up everything that he didn't know what to do. I did think that a while back that Cain would win via confusing Junior with his mixing of strikes and wrestling and it seems that's how it went.

JDS should take a page out of Gus' book and head to AKA. The likelihood of JDS-Cain IV is slim, at least in the near future, so he should go train with him. Or maybe he could head to Jacksons' or ATT.

The truth is that this match was made way too early and JDS and Cain should both have been given more time to make this match different.

Back