News Junior middleweight Patrick Day undergoes emergency brain surgery after KO

Is weight cutting the reason for this? Does anyone know how much Patrick Day cut to make weight? This has been a dark year for boxing in this regard.

RIP.
boxing has always been dangerous, but i truly believe modern weight cutting is making it worse.

I could be wrong, but I believe same day weighs have been used in the past and were found to be even more dangerous because guys still cut the same amount of weight and then came in in worse condition.

Once a week or every few days could definitely be interesting or having to maintain a certain hydration level or something like that as well. I doubt there's a magic bullet though. You could see guys maintaining poor hydration for a long time in an attempt to carry as much LBM as they can at a given weight class.

No that's not right and as Ares said if they do that they're screwing themselves over ......... which is the point.

People do it for an advantage, if its same day weigh ins then there is no advantage to try and re-hydrate same day hence the idiots will stop doing it.

The guy who's maintained a healthy weight will be stronger and fitter because the bigger guy would of weaken'd himself so much he'll be completely drained, very shortly people will just stop doing it and fight at their natural weight.

In the old days with fighters like Marciano that's exactly what they did, they lost fat in the run up to a fight, these days people drop extreme water weight damaging their health and thinning the jelly barrier around the brain in their skull.

People have died or been hospitalized before the fight even started from extreme cutting.

Day before weigh ins only punish the guys who would rather do it the right way and be healthy because they have to copy the cheaters.

and that’s what would most likely happen cos same day check is a bit unrealistic but my point is that they shouldn’t need to rehydrate at all, there should be a camp culture around maintaining your natural weight or close to it so you don’t need to go through drastic shit to then make weight. It’s a radical change but it would be refreshing

I know it’s basically going against everything we’ve known for years but it would be better and fair for fighters I think

Its not unrealistic because the IBF already do it.

Weigh in day before then again day of fight and they give you a 10lb leeway from the weight limit......... and so far there's been no hitches apart from that guy who refused the same day weigh in against GGG and could of been disqualified, the only reason he wasn't is because GGG accepted to fight him regardless but the size difference was clear.

There's no reason that can't be dropped to 3lbs day of fight allowing for natural fluctuation, hell even 5lbs over would be better than nothing.

Its not unrealistic because the IBF already do it.

Weigh in day before then again day of fight and they give you a 10lb leeway from the weight limit......... and so far there's been no hitches apart from that guy who refused the same day weigh in against GGG and could of been disqualified, the only reason he wasn't is because GGG accepted to fight him regardless but the size difference was clear.

There's no reason that can't be dropped to 3lbs day of fight allowing for natural fluctuation, hell even 5lbs over would be better than nothing.
One can only hope

Back