News Junior middleweight Patrick Day undergoes emergency brain surgery after KO

If the brain is deprived of much needed fluid then blows to the head may be more destructive than if the brain is in a healthier state due to it being properly hydrated. 24 hours isn't enough time to properly re-hydrate after weigh ins.

Exactly what I just posted, that sort of depletion directly effects the protection of the brain.

Should be weighed in day of fight so fighters know they don't have enough time to cut and recover, too many athletes are forced into doing it to keep up with the cheaters trying to get a size advantage.

Same day weigh ins need to return, this will force people to fight at their natural weight, IBF already doing something akin to it.

Exactly what I just posted, that sort of depletion directly effects the protection of the brain.

Should be weighed in day of fight so fighters know they don't have enough time to cut and recover, too many athletes are forced into doing it to keep up with the cheaters trying to get a size advantage.

Same day weigh ins need to return, this will force people to fight at their natural weight, IBF already doing something akin to it.
I agree. Same day weigh ins and even better regular weigh ins a month out from the fight, once a week where they have to be within a certain % of their competition weight. It will cost more but what price do you put on fighters safety?

I agree. Same day weigh ins and even better regular weigh ins a month out from the fight, once a week where they have to be within a certain % of their competition weight. It will cost more but what price do you put on fighters safety?
What about still 36 hours but you have that weekly testing?

Wouldn't it be better to weigh in the day before or do you think that'd mess it up somehow?

What about still 36 hours but you have that weekly testing?

Wouldn't it be better to weigh in the day before or do you think that'd mess it up somehow?
If you allow weigh in the day before then you are allowing a whole 24 hours or even more, up to 36 hours for rehydration and we know that boxers and other athletes that weigh in can fuck that up with big problems or be much bigger than their opponent which obviously creates another problem. The weekly weigh ins would cure a lot of it imho. I suppose though those who really want to cheat the system could just cut weight weekly but they'd have to be really dedicated. But that's why I think you should have same day weigh ins for the fight. That would take away any advantage of cheating the weekly weigh ins. Amateurs do same day weigh ins and you don't hear of many deaths in the ring in their code. I think the Pros could learn a lesson from the Ammies here. Or even better same night weigh ins with no chance to rehydrate even a small amount.

I could be wrong, but I believe same day weighs have been used in the past and were found to be even more dangerous because guys still cut the same amount of weight and then came in in worse condition.

Once a week or every few days could definitely be interesting or having to maintain a certain hydration level or something like that as well. I doubt there's a magic bullet though. You could see guys maintaining poor hydration for a long time in an attempt to carry as much LBM as they can at a given weight class.

If you allow weigh in the day before then you are allowing a whole 24 hours or even more, up to 36 hours for rehydration and we know that boxers and other athletes that weigh in can fuck that up with big problems. The weekly weigh ins would cure a lot of it imho. I suppose though those who really want to cheat the system could just cut weight weekly but they'd have to be really dedicated. But that's why I think you should have same day weigh ins for the fight. That would take away any advantage of cheating the weekly weigh ins. Amateurs do same day weigh ins and you don't hear of many deaths in the ring in their code. I think the Pros could learn a lesson from the Ammies here. Or even better same night weigh ins with no chance to rehydrate even a small amount.
My line of questioning here isn't because i doubt what you're saying....so bear with me

My question would be this, then......

Is there a point we know of that actual science says a person can't gain their walking weight fully back....but....still be hydrated?

In other words, would you be as hydrated back up doing same day weigh ins than the day before?

Also would it even help to try to balloon back up? I think Roberto Duran did that in the 2nd Sugar Ray fight and the extra weight wore him down quicker because he had cut an extreme amount prior to the weigh ins

My knowledge of this is embarrassingly low, im sorry haha.

I could be wrong, but I believe same day weighs have been used in the past and were found to be even more dangerous because guys still cut the same amount of weight and then came in in worse condition.

Once a week or every few days could definitely be interesting or having to maintain a certain hydration level or something like that as well. I doubt there's a magic bullet though. You could see guys maintaining poor hydration for a long time in an attempt to carry as much LBM as they can at a given weight class.
Yeah same day weigh ins still give fighters time to rehydrate but same night weigh ins would give them almost no time to rehydrate. And weekly weigh ins could lead to some guys maintaining poor hydration but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot training in a state of constant dehydration. They'd feel like shit all the time and for what? Because they won't be able to rehydrate come fight night either.

Yeah same day weigh ins still give fighters time to rehydrate but same night weigh ins would give them almost no time to rehydrate. And weekly weigh ins could lead to some guys maintaining poor hydration but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot training in a state of constant dehydration. They'd feel like shit all the time and for what? Because they won't be able to rehydrate come fight night either.
from the second hand research I recall, a same day morning weighin is kind of day before-lite. Guys are better hydrated than if the weighin was right before but not as well as day-before.

There are definitely some promotional considerations to consider as well. No promoter wants to not know if a fight is a go until moments before the fight. Especially in a sport like MMA where the culture is so unprofessional that it seems like at least one fighter is missing on every card.

My line of questioning here isn't because i doubt what you're saying....so bear with me

Is there a point we know of that actual science says a person can't gain their walking weight fully back....but....still be hydrated?

In other words, would you be as hydrated back up doing same day weigh ins than the day before?

Also would it even help to try to balloon back up? I think Roberto Duran did that in the 2nd Sugar Ray fight and the extra weight wore him down quicker because he had cut an extreme amount prior to the weigh ins

If you had same day weigh ins you'd only have let's say 10 hours to rehydrate if your fight was on at 2200 and you weighed in at 1200. It's harder to rehydrate say 20lbs if you only have 10 hours to do it then if you have 36 hours. It's still possible though as fighters can typically dehydrate 10% of their bodyweight and then rehydrate that all back before their fight. They could do this with a same day weigh in if that gives them 10 hours to do it. The way to stop it is weigh ins a few hours before fight time. Add this to weekly weigh ins and I'm pretty sure you stop it entirely. It would stop fighters fighting in a dehydrated state and we wouldn't see such big size differences between fighters.

from the second hand research I recall, a same day morning weighin is kind of day before-lite. Guys are better hydrated than if the weighin was right before but not as well as day-before.

There are definitely some promotional considerations to consider as well. No promoter wants to not know if a fight is a go until moments before the fight. Especially in a sport like MMA where the culture is so unprofessional that it seems like at least one fighter is missing on every card.
Yeah that's why I'd advocate weekly weigh ins for a month out from a fight. Only crazy fighters would dehydrate to make weekly weigh ins. Then add the same night weigh in where you'd not be able to rehydrate much at all. There would be no advantage to it at all.

To your second point, the IBF had a rule where you had to be within 7 pounds of your weigh in weight. Danny Jacobs elected to miss this check weigh in so he forfeited his chance to win the IBF title agaisnt GGG. The fight still went ahead though. However the IBF were weak and got rid of this rule after this event. They caved to outside pressures. The orgs need to be stronger and put fighters safety first. The fights can still go ahead but their will be no title or increase in rankings if you win a fight after missing a weigh in.

If they wanted to go hardcore they could take points off a fighter before he even step through the ropes if he purposefully misses weight. An example of where this could have been used was when Salido cynically missed weight against Lomachenko. Salido couldn't win a title but he still had a big weight advantage against Loma. This shouldn't be allowed and fighters should be penalised more than they have been.

If you had same day weigh ins you'd only have let's say 10 hours to rehydrate if your fight was on at 2200 and you weighed in at 1200. It's harder to rehydrate say 20lbs if you only have 10 hours to do it then if you have 36 hours. It's still possible though as fighters can typically dehydrate 10% of their bodyweight and then rehydrate that all back before their fight. They could do this with a same day weigh in if that gives them 10 hours to do it. The way to stop it is weigh ins a few hours before fight time. Add this to weekly weigh ins and I'm pretty sure you stop it entirely. It would stop fighters fighting in a dehydrated state and we wouldn't see such big size differences between fighters.
I like the fact that this would force people to move divisions. It'd be almost impossible to cheat this system and still be as effective. It's addressing a few issues....it theoretically could work

Yeah that's why I'd advocate weekly weigh ins for a month out from a fight. Only crazy fighters would dehydrate to make weekly weigh ins. Then add the same night weigh in where you'd not be able to rehydrate much at all. There would be no advantage to it at all.

To your second point, the IBF had a rule where you had to be within 7 pounds of your weigh in weight. Danny Jacobs elected to miss this check weigh in so he forfeited his chance to win the IBF title agaisnt GGG. The fight still went ahead though. However the IBF were weak and got rid of this rule after this event. They caved to outside pressures. The orgs need to be stronger and put fighters safety first. The fights can still go ahead but their will be no title or increase in rankings if you win a fight after missing a weigh in.

If they wanted to go hardcore they could take points off a fighter before he even step through the ropes if he purposefully misses weight. An example of where this could have been used was when Salido cynically missed weight against Lomachenko. Salido couldn't win a title but he still had a big weight advantage against Loma. This shouldn't be allowed and fighters should be penalised more than they have been.
IMO fighter safety is the commissions’ responsibility entirely. The promoters, broadcast partners, and fighters and their teams are always going to have a vested interest in having all scheduled fights go forward.

unfortunately the graft that accompanies the commissions has lead to a situation where they too have a vested interest in having big events since they or the government that funds them gets a cut of the revenue. And that’s even before you toss in that a lot of these members are politically connected and not above a bit of palm greasing.

There should be a flat fee IMO based on the personnel needed to run an event of a given size. And there should be a way to tie liability to the commission (I don’t know how this currently works other than commissions requiring insurance in case something bad happens to a fighter).

I think you’re going to find a lot of people of the opinion that this poor guy should have received a longer medical suspension after his penultimate bout given the level of damage he sustained.l and just being real that could have saved his life. Obviously it would have for sure saved his life in this case, but it’s not fair to look at it retrospectively like that given we know the tragic outcome of the bout.

There should be a scale outside the ring before you enter. That’s the final weight. No rehydrating BS, no weight cutting.

with officials jumping in on camp without notice to monitor the weight of the fighter to see if it’s been maintained in a natural way. A fighter who fights at light heavyweight or middleweight but walks around at heavyweight numbers should be treated as a doper.

but ufc gives dopers multiple title shots so I don’t know

There should be a scale outside the ring before you enter. That’s the final weight. No rehydrating BS, no weight cutting.

with officials jumping in on camp without notice to monitor the weight of the fighter to see if it’s been maintained in a natural way. A fighter who fights at light heavyweight or middleweight but walks around at heavyweight numbers should be treated as a doper.

but ufc gives dopers multiple title shots so I don’t know

I'm pretty sure day-before is about the best middle-of-the road that still allows for proper re-hydration, and proper re-hydration helps the head/brain because a severely dehydrated fighter will have less cushion for his skull computer.

Best we stay "as-is". No knee-jerk reactions that might make things worse.
We've just had a couple/few unfortunate (and widely televised) deaths in the sport this year. It happens. Very sadly, it will happen again.

I'm pretty sure day-before is about the best middle-of-the road that still allows for proper re-hydration, and proper re-hydration helps the head/brain because a severely dehydrated fighter will have less cushion for his skull computer.

Best we stay "as-is". No knee-jerk reactions that might make things worse.
We've just had a couple/few unfortunate (and widely televised) deaths in the sport this year. It happens. Very sadly, it will happen again.

and that’s what would most likely happen cos same day check is a bit unrealistic but my point is that they shouldn’t need to rehydrate at all, there should be a camp culture around maintaining your natural weight or close to it so you don’t need to go through drastic shit to then make weight. It’s a radical change but it would be refreshing

I know it’s basically going against everything we’ve known for years but it would be better and fair for fighters I think

Patrick Day had a BRUTAL fight on ESPN just a little while ago

His handlers shouldve had him keep it easy.

i’m seeing this for the first time and i guess that could have been stopped but hundreds of fighters have taken more damage and been okay. other than banning the sport, i don’t know what anyone could have done to prevent this

edit: oh shit this is a different fight. yikes

And these morons here dont call boxing real fighting...

Rest in peace warrior.
You will be missed.

weight them 24 hours before and directly before stepping into the ring. it would eliminate cutting entirely.

i’m seeing this for the first time and i guess that could have been stopped but hundreds of fighters have taken more damage and been okay. other than banning the sport, i don’t know what anyone could have done to prevent this

edit: oh shit this is a different fight. yikes
ban weight cuts.

Back