News Junior middleweight Patrick Day undergoes emergency brain surgery after KO

Such sad news

Rest in peace

RIP Pat. This is one of the worst/saddest years in boxing/fighting history; to many are losing their lives in the ring. 2019, I will remember this year.

Is weight cutting the reason for this? Does anyone know how much Patrick Day cut to make weight? This has been a dark year for boxing in this regard.

RIP.

Is weight cutting the reason for this? Does anyone know how much Patrick Day cut to make weight? This has been a dark year for boxing in this regard.

RIP.

Not sure but he was back in the ring coming off a loss where he took a lot of big shots from a heavy handed boxer not even 4 months ago. No way he was sufficiently recovered to fight again so soon, and as we can see in this last fight, he was getting battered. Tragic development of events....

Ugh. Another. Very sad. RIP, Patrick. Godspeed.

RIP.

Has cutting been confirmed as a link to such events occurring?

As TheLastSpartan said, getting battered four months earlier would be more of a link.

Dealing with post concussion syndrome after two concussions this year ( not knocked out ) events like this really makes me think hard about my place in combat sports.

So sad. Rip

It was expected that it could lead to that. Seizures in the ambulance is a last minute sign. Sad day.

The problem in general is that a concussed brain needs a lot of time to heal. Everyone having had post concussive syndrome can attest to that. As a pro athlete you simply dont have the time to wait that long and that does not only count in fighting sports. People only think of that but concussions happen everywhere with high levels of head acceleration.

Motor sports, American Football, football, training regime for most soldiers in high level infantry units, handball (get hit with a handball its like a very very hard punch)...etc.

So dont start going around what sports to ban, doesnt make any sense. Death is sadly part of life and can happen.

We could regulate longer breaks from fighting after a tough fight but like I said that also screws with a boxers income.

Wish his family the best.

RIP.
or better steroids? fighters stronger than ever? idk, just thinking of different theories

Last edited:
It was expected that it could lead to that. Seizures in the ambulance is a last minute sign. Sad day.

The problem in general is that a concussed brain needs a lot of time to heal. Everyone having had post concussive syndrome can attest to that. As a pro athlete you simply dont have the time to wait that long and that does not only count in fighting sports. People only think of that but concussions happen everywhere with high levels of head acceleration.

Motor sports, American Football, football, training regime for most soldiers in high level infantry units, handball (get hit with a handball its like a very very hard punch)...etc.

So dont start going around what sports to ban, doesnt make any sense. Death is sadly part of life and can happen.

We could regulate longer breaks from fighting after a tough fight but like I said that also screws with a boxers income.

Wish his family the best.
i say regulate longer breaks. athletic commissions have to step up. no matter if it affects lower level boxers in a way that they need to get a part time job.
if it continues like this, it won't just affect the boxers themselves but also the popularity of the sport

not to mention, the standing 8 count. allows for a boxer to get concussive blows 3 times in a fight

Last edited:
i say regulate longer breaks. athletic commissions have to step up. no matter if it affects lower level boxers in a way that they need to get a part time job.
if it continues like this, it won't just affect the boxers themselves but also the popularity of the sport

not to mention, the standing 8 count. allows for a boxer to get concussive blows 3 times in a fight
Yeah but guys fight under one athletic commission while being suspended by another

There's no unifying body at any level of boxing. It'd apply to this.

Another dead boxer how many more will die for this shit fucking sickening I would say R.I.P. but I can't see how someone could ever rest in the afterlife dying this tragic death.

Has cutting been confirmed as a link to such events occurring?

As TheLastSpartan said, getting battered four months earlier would be more of a link.

If the brain is deprived of much needed fluid then blows to the head may be more destructive than if the brain is in a healthier state due to it being properly hydrated. 24 hours isn't enough time to properly re-hydrate after weigh ins.

Back