Junior dos Santos: "The heavyweight division is at its best moment, but lacks Fedor"

The HW division is clearly at its strongest.

Cain, JDS, Werdum, Cormier, Barnett, Overeem, Mir, Browne, Bigfoot, Nelson, Miocic and Hunt. Then you still have guys like Nog, Rothwell, Schaub, Struve, Jordan, Duffee and Gonzaga.

When has it ever been as strong as that? it will always be a divison lacking depth for obvious reasons but I cant remember it being that strong before.

A prime Fedor against Cain would be awesome, I'd slightly favour Fedor.
A prime Fedor against JDS, I think JDS takes it.
Either against him now would most likely beat him.

Prime Fedor was much, much faster than JDS. Especially in the transition department. Fedor was a judothrowing madman in his prime and changed from punching to throwing people faster than anyone.

JDS has fast hands, but Fedor was FAST PERIOD. His entry speed and aggression + strength in the clinch would probably end up taking the 238lb JDS down more times than not.

Id take the Fedor who fought Mirko over JDS any day of the week.

Prime Fedor was much, much faster than JDS. Especially in the transition department. Fedor was a judothrowing madman in his prime and changed from punching to throwing people faster than anyone.

JDS has fast hands, but Fedor was FAST PERIOD. His entry speed and aggression + strength in the clinch would probably end up taking the 238lb JDS down more times than not.

Id take the Fedor who fought Mirko over JDS any day of the week.

Yep.

And Fedor would clobber Cain like he did Tim Sylvia.

those two fights would be amazing.
i'd like to see jds vs a prime andrei or a prime kharitonov...
dem hands

What I love about the current HW division is that the two best guys are also the two most humble and respectable guys. Not going to root this time, just gonna sit back and watch them go to war. May the best HW win!

Have always lacked... truth that everyone knows, including Dana. But he'll never admit, obviously.

It's nice to see Fedor get the respect he deserves.

Guys like Cain and JDS wouldn't be what they are without Fedor. When they started fighting they likely looked up to him as the pinnacle of what a fighter can be.

He is the benchmark for the modern heavyweight to emulate. Without Fedor we wouldn't have the level of heavyweight fighter we have today. He set the bar. No wonder he's universally praised and respected.

Cool interview.

Interesting comparison

Cain
JDS
DC
Werdum
Barney
Browne
Bigfoot
Reem
Hunt
Mir
Stipe

In Fedors era u had

Fedor
Big Nog
Cro Cop
Barney
Randy
Coleman
Igor
Sergei
Arlovski
Semmy
Sylvia
Rizzo
Randleman
Herring
Werdum
Hunt

Guys like Cain and JDS wouldn't be what they are without Fedor. When they started fighting they likely looked up to him as the pinnacle of what a fighter can be.

He is the benchmark for the modern heavyweight to emulate. Without Fedor we wouldn't have the level of heavyweight fighter we have today. He set the bar. No wonder he's universally praised and respected.

Cool interview.

Well said.

Back