Junior dos Santos disagrees with coaches who advise rest, targets May return

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Back home after a disappointing defeat that dropped his record to 6-5 since losing the UFC heavyweight championship in 2012, “Cigano” spoke with MMA Fighting about exactly what went wrong in the fight.

“I was physically well, feeling strong despite the difficulties we had, but man, I couldn’t find my timing,” dos Santos said. “I was prepared to defend the takedown attempts, and that’s all I did in the fight. That’s what I felt. I entered the fight to defend the takedowns and forgot to attack. I ended up giving him too much space to attack and paid a big price. I defended all of his takedowns but gave nothing in response, so that made him comfortable to got out and fight, and one hand landed.

“It’s not about being disrespectful, but you don’t have to consider your opponent’s strengths too much, you have to impose yours. That’s what I always say, but that’s exactly what I didn’t do this time. The strikes I threw didn’t land because I was too distant from him to avoid his takedowns. I wasn’t landing anything and giving him freedom to move and keep attacking. That’s what broke me. It’s his merit, he did his best and got the knockout.”

Dos Santos’ coaches at American Top Team advised the heavyweight veteran to take some time off after the defeat, his second knockout in a row, but “Cigano”, who turned 36 on Friday, is not a fan of taking time off on the sidelines.

“They wanted me to take a break and rest, but the problem is, I won’t rest,” said dos Santos, who signed a new eight-fight deal with the company prior to UFC Raleigh. “I will only rest when I get things right again and fix my mistakes. To me, the best option is to get another fight right away. I wanted to fight soon after my injury because that’s the best medicine to me. My life is good when I’m active, when I have a goal.”

The UFC has a Fight Night card booked for Brazil on March 14, and will return on May 9 for a pay-per-view event in Sao Paulo. “Cigano” won’t commit to any specific date or opponent right now, but sees “a lot of options” for a potential bout at UFC 250.

“I haven’t fought in Brazil since I entered the UFC, so that would be great for my career, to fight for my people,” said dos Santos, who was only scheduled to fight in Brazil once, but was forced out of a fight with Stipe Miocic with a broken hand in 2014. “I can get ready for a fight in May, no problem. That sounds good to me. In case they offer me something for that card, I can fight in Brazil in May.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

<6><{CMPALM}><{cruzshake}><{hughesimpress}><{nope}>

Listen to your coaches man....

I mean, did he mention at any point that he tried a lead uppercut about 7 times and finally got countered on one?

He was trying to attack but he is and always has been very predictable. Now he just isn’t as fast or dangerous so there’s less to respect and he got clocked.

400k just to show in his last fight

I agree with him

Get that money, cuzzy

He’s just a shell of his former self. Sadly that’s still good enough to be top 5-7. How about an overeem rematch?

Time to retire imo.

His chin is gone as is his speed and he never learned how to keep his hands up. This hole in his defense is getting exposed more and more the slower and weak chin he becomes.

Dudes got kids to think about. He’s being very irresponsible. I’d hate to see him godown that path...

{<jordan}

JDS brain gonna be jello by the end of the year. He clearly has no desire to remember his kids names...(or his ex wifes face)

I feel for these guys because none of them can admit when they’re out of their prime so they tend to make excuses on what went wrong.

They’re still good fighters but timing is off, and injuries happen more often but how do you stop that from happening? You don’t.

This is all they know (most of them).

JDS needs a long break. Like retirement length. I’m a fan but don’t think he’s got it any more. The wars with Cain took it out of him.

He looks so slow lately, even for Heavyweight.

I remembered when he KOd Werdum he looked lightning fast.

and I never ever saw his BB in Jiu Jitsu.

You referenced his family

He's on a fat contract

They're better off if he keeps fighting

Plenty of guys outside the top 5 JDS can whoop

You ain't gotta be champ to be successful
It ain’t about success brotha. He’s already made some good money. I genuinely believe 5 more is about his limit before he needs to think about how this will effect him at 60+

Sherdog calling for retirement just coz he doesn't show championship qualities

You know these guy are only in it to get paid, right?

It ain’t about success brotha. He’s already made some good money. I genuinely believe 5 more is about his limit before he needs to think about how this will effect him at 60+
He needs to fight until that 400k to show money runs out

Imagine leaving that money on the table

You can knock me out for 400k too

He ain't gonna get someone like Nguyo next

Imagine refusing 400k to show when you next opponent is someone like Oleinek

Vegas when Junior fights

FarShyJackrabbit-size_restricted.gif

Werdum rematch would make sense. Maybe Rumble, if Rumble will have his Usada waiting period expired.

Back