Jung VS Poirier was not remotely close.

But wasn't Rousey-Tate mostly consisting of Rousey going for the armbar and Tate defending until the last minute. Exciting? Sure. ROTY? Possibly. But I could definitely name 10 better fights. (Don't ask me, I'm at work lol)

No it most certainly wasn't. Miesha pushed Ronda with punches, did a lot of fighting in the clinch, and had Ronda's back for awhile searching for the RNC. The armbar at the beginning and then the one at the end were the HL though.

I had 50 quid on KZ and I remember being on edge the whole fight. I dont recall it being a one sided domination by any stretch.
It's definitely a FOTY contender. It had great action and excitement, both on the ground and on the feet. It's my pick for sure

I think the only area that was one sided was on the ground, but poirier stunned KZ a couple of times on the feet (from memomory, could be wrong, looking for the fight, can't find it). I think KZ/Poirier had almost everything you could ask for as a fan minus an incredible KO but we got a slick submission instead.

No it most certainly wasn't. Miesha pushed Ronda with punches, did a lot of fighting in the clinch, and had Ronda's back for awhile searching for the RNC. The armbar at the beginning and then the one at the end were the HL though.

Oh yeah, that's right. Still remains a bit shocking that you think that fight was better than KZ-Poirier.

I hope you realize that you do have an unpopular opinion

this fight was epic.
i was out of my seat quite a few times through out the exchanges.

KZ was beating him up. I didnt see the fight live, but read everyones reaction to it. When I did watch it, I didnt think it was as great as everyone said.

GSP/Condit, I watched live. It was nuts.

KZ was beating him up. I didnt see the fight live, but read everyones reaction to it. When I did watch it, I didnt think it was as great as everyone said.

Well, that just takes the steam out of watching it. All the reactions you read were from people who watched it live

You have the exact same opinions as a friend of mine, You're a big GSP fan aren't you?

Don't know how anyone gave Poirier rd 3. Florian was really trying to make it seem more competitive than it actually was.

lol at saying this fight was one sided and then continue to name off Tate/Rousey instead. Tate vs Kedzie was a MUCH better fight.

Now I'm not knocking Chan Sung Jung or Dustin Poirier so let's get that out of the way. I enjoyed the beat down greatly. I'm knocking the proposition that a one sided performance should be named "Fight of The Year".

Why is Jung VS Poirier thought of as Fight of The Year? I watched it countless times and I gave every round to Jung as he controlled the pace of the fight. Hurt Poirier on numerous of occassions, and put him in multiple bad positions. The only thing shocking was how easily Jung dominated Poirier. Beyond surviving what offense did Poirier put up to garner Fight of The Year?

Much better candidates are fights like Tate VS Rousey, Lauzon VS Varner, and Johnson VS Castillo. Back and forth fights with closely matched skill levels. I simply don't see how Jung VS Poirier garners "Fight of The Year" when it should be a runner for "Performance of The Year".

Thoughts and criticisms?

Johnson vs Castillo? Really? Solid fight, but I didn't even think it was FOTN. Varner vs Lauzon is legit, but Tate vs Kedzie was better than Rousey vs Tate.

Anyway, I think Poirier vs Jung was FOTY for a few reasons. Most people expected Poirier to thoroughly dominate KZ. He was a 3-1 favorite at one point. Then, KZ comes in and dominates. I gave him every round, but he was outclassing Poirier even though most people expected Poirier to come out on top. It went 4 rounds and had solid action throughout, and there was also a finish. I liked Lauzon vs Varner, but I never thought the fight was close to being stopped, until the actual submission finish. Either fight could easily be FOTY, but I'd cast my vote for Jung vs Poirier.

Fair enough but as I'm sure you know watching fights after the fact, is WAAAAAY less intense than watching them in real time. KZ/Poirer had me on the edge the whole fight, it had EVERYTHING that most anyone could possibly hope for in a fight, except maybe a KO but damn that sub was slick!!!

Don't know how anyone gave Poirier rd 3. Florian was really trying to make it seem more competitive than it actually was.

It was a close round. I remember KZ being aggressive and putting on constant pressure. But Poirier was landing the cleaner shots on the outside.

Tate/Kedzie would get my FOTY vote, as I'm sure it would by just about everybody if it weren't WMMA.

It was a close round. I remember KZ being aggressive and putting on constant pressure. But Poirier was landing the cleaner shots on the outside.

He landed some nice straights, but KZ landed more, rocked Poirier, and scored the only TD with about 10 unfettered elbows. I think the only reason anybody calls this round for Dustin is because it was the only round where he wasn't completely dominated.

How in the world did Jung win the 3rd when all he did was eat straight lefts the whole round?

Nate/Woodley was Fight of the year anyway.

kinda agree with op. KZ dominated from start to finish. dustin hung in there but it was all kz. that flying knee combo to the darce choke finisher was absolutly brilliant. it should win just for that lol.

It wasnt one sided, it was back and forth and KZ got the better of almost most of the exchanges, but even then poirier had his moments so it cant be that one sided

Back