Jump to guard?

jiujitzurero

White Belt
Reaction score
I just started trianing in bjj recently and in one of our classes I jumped to guard and misfired, landed painfully on my back. Anyone have advice on the basics on how to properly grab, timing etc, jumping technique and appropriate distance to go for it?

get good grips, jump so your legs are going up, and you wanna get your legs high under the armpits, or just put your foot on their hip and sit down.

get good grips, jump so your legs are going up, and you wanna get your legs high under the armpits, or just put your foot on their hip and sit down.

cool thanks. when do i know if im too far or too near? and where should i be gripping for best results? i usually grip on one sleeve and on the same side lapel.

Also, as an alternative to jumping to guard, you can step on the feet and just sit to your guard.

why wilingly go to an inferior position?

Ask your instructor to show you.

P.S.: Pulling guard is the eqivalent of taking your ugly sister to the prom.

i know, pulling half guard was so inferior that i was only able to do it through all my matches at the pan ams. it put me in such a crappy position that i only walked away with a silver in the medium heavy blue belt masters and a gold in the blue belt masters absolute. imagine how much better i would have done if i had fought tirelessly for that two point takedown. get over yourselves and realize there are a lot of styles and games played by other people(as in not you) that are all part of the game of grappling.

as far as the op goes, get control of his sleeves or a grip on a lapel so when you pull guard you can really control the guy and pull him into your guard. just sitting down gives him plenty of room to run around you and give you all kinds of problems.

before the flaming and bs ensues, think of this guys. i'm not saying that my way is the only way. i'm just reiterating that you have your style and i have mine. that's why we get out on the mat and bring the two together and see who has the better one on that day. for me whatever happens, he takes me down, i take him down, someone pulls guard, that's the game and i am ready to play it. good luck in bashing me, as i hope it's at least humorous.

^^^

It's all good. I think in training or in a match it is a valid strategy.

Much preferable to 2 guys gunning for the TD for 3 minutes who both don't know what they are doing.

However, as you have mentioned, it comes down to style and preference.
I want to try to become a complete fighter and to me that means being good at takedowns. I think BJJ and Judo are a perfect match and I can't wait to be able to committ more time to Judo.

I see it like this:

If your goal is to be a good BJJ player, playing to your strengths (e.g.: guard) is a great strategy.

If you want to be a good fighter, you have to learn it all.

Same for Gi and no Gi. If you want to be a fighter, you gotta train both.

Lol pulling guard inferior in a grappling competition? Maybe if you are a fat fuck with no skills. Stupid closed guard noobs.

it is all in jest, I loved how Nog pulled Sylvia into his guard

I acctually pulled guard in one game at a newaza comp I attended (:)

we did start from the knees thou

I like to pull butterfly guard because pulling closed guard sets you up for slams ... I hate that.

butterfly guard= just one foot inside or does it have to be both?

Jumping or pulling guard works fine on people with poor standing technique, and if that's what you're facing there's no reason not to use it in tournaments. Eventually you'll end up running across guys with good standing, who will easily avoid jumping and pulling guard, so it's good to practice other takedowns in the meantime so you'll have them when you need them.

Jumping or pulling guard works fine on people with poor standing technique, and if that's what you're facing there's no reason not to use it in tournaments. Eventually you'll end up running across guys with good standing, who will easily avoid jumping and pulling guard, so it's good to practice other takedowns in the meantime so you'll have them when you need them.
People pull guard frequently in the Mundials as well as Abu Dhabi. Those competitors might not all be olympic caliber judoka or wrestlers, but I'm sure they have some pretty damn good standing skills for the most part.

No matter how good you are standing, it's impossible to stop a guard pull. Jumping guard, yes this is very possible to stop. But if someone wants to pull guard on you, he WILL. It's not difficult to grab a sleeve, foot on the hip and simply lay back.

Back