jump roundhouse

Dedicado

Machetero
Reaction score
I first learned this kick in TKD, but I stopped practicing it cuz guys at my new club, MMA, were razzing me about it. Two days ago I watched James Martinez, k-1 vet, k.o. a 63-13 fighter with it in cALGARY ALTA. So I thought, maybe this is a good kick after all!
Does anybody here have good tips for it? I'm not afraid of going to the ground, so I think it's okay for MMA if it lands right.
I'm not tall, and I'm not flexible enough yet to kick a tall man in the head, so maybe this kick will be an equalizer.
Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Like any move the key to it is the set up. Do you have video of it being used by Martinez? Look at what his opponent was doing when he threw it. Was he backing away? Moving forward? Probably a good move to have in your bag of tricks, but you have to know when to throw it. And the best way to do that is to study the times it has been used successfully...

I use it to throw my opponents off, if I am having problems hitting them with contact I will throw a jump roundhouse by setting it up with punches.

My first suggestion is to try it a few times during your sparring to see if it works for you, don t even think about the funny comments from the other club members. I m sure if you connect a few times they ll stop teasing you!
As for my personal experience, for me jumping kicks has not been an effective tool. Since the opponent steps back or moves latteraly as soon as he sees your feet are off the ground. I ve noticed this even when stepping into a front kick, and I don t mean step then kick, but simultaneous feet action.
Finally, kicking a taller guy in the head exposes you to a sweep or a counter. Make use of of what you have to your advantage, as a smaller person you have quickness and your TKD experience has taught you to throw mean back-kicks! so throw a few hard to the body a la David Loiseau your fellow canadian fighter. Good luck.

aaron_mag said:
. Do you have video of it being used by Martinez? Look at what his opponent was doing when he threw it.
Yes. Martinez timed the opponent when buddy attempted a spinning back-kick. By the time the guys face came around, Martinez's foot was saying "hello" to his face.

Thrown at the apex of a 3-4 kick combo where you have forward momentum and your oppnent is defensive, they can be highly effective. applied improperly, your opponent will see it coming a mile away and hammer you.

Much like some guys will make the colossal rookie mistake of leading into an attack with, say, a spinning back kick as the first shot, don't make that mistake with any spinning kick.

Dedicado said:
Yes. Martinez timed the opponent when buddy attempted a spinning back-kick. By the time the guys face came around, Martinez's foot was saying "hello" to his face.

Damn. That sounds like an exciting finish.

Why don't you just come out and say you want massive style points when you get the KO...

:D

Even though techniques like this are getting more popular right now, mark my words they will be the death of someone eventually. People are going to catch on to this foolishness and start dumping people when they pull this shit like they did in the first few UFCs. Granted with some setup and lots of practice it can be effective to some point but I still think any flying or spinning technique is just unneccessary. If you cant kick to the head, DON'T. Your hands are closer and you can throw them in combination.

Good advice. You should be Crocop's trainer and tell him not to kick to the head anymore.

;)

aaron_mag said:

Why don't you just come out and say you want massive style points when you get the KO...

I jumped up and down for like 30 seconds! If I can figure out how to put vhs onto my comp, I'll post it here.

Style points rock. It's true that alot of these, "flashy kicks" for lack of a better term, may put you in a more dangerous situation, but they also can be very effective and insanely power full. As mentioned it is all about timing and knowing when to use it and also reflex/muscle memory. I'd say practice this kick till you have it mastered. Try it sparring, in the air and on the bag. Keep working on it. You might have 10 fights, and only once in those 10 will you have the perfect set up to use it and have everyone on their feet. Remember tho, the basics wins fight, all the power in the world to you if you have a great jumping round but if you can throw a basic round house or right cross, buddy you won't last long at all.

zaner said:
Even though techniques like this are getting more popular right now, mark my words they will be the death of someone eventually. People are going to catch on to this foolishness and start dumping people when they pull this shit like they did in the first few UFCs. Granted with some setup and lots of practice it can be effective to some point but I still think any flying or spinning technique is just unneccessary. If you cant kick to the head, DON'T. Your hands are closer and you can throw them in combination.

Your hands might be closer but every time you punch you leave one side exposed, if you kick you can hit from further away and hold both hands up to protect your head.

True. Hey what does sohei mean? It's Chinese and has something to do with your rank in Gung-fu right?

i think that it has a lot to do with timing and proper technique. it can do a lot of damage... to your opponent but most likely to yourself.

Shogun uses it. Sort of. When he came and did a seminar with Ninja at my MMA gym he showed the jump roundhouse that he did against Rampage (I think that's when he used it). You fake a left roundhouse, then jump right roundhouse.

Shogun can fricken jump! I've seen tapes of him doing that kick in training as well. Awesome. We do that same kick in TKD as well.

Many people mistake the reason why training jumping kicks are good. When I spar kickboxing style I don't use jumping kicks. I don't use the funky spinning hook kick you see in the TKD vs MT video posted. I guess if I was really dominating someone, like Shogun was, I'd do it. What the heck.

But the main thing is that it is an agility and conditioning drill. You do updowns for conditioning, right? That is awesome condition. So are jumping kicks. You're getting off the ground and doing complicated moves. It isn't long before your sucking wind.

Perfect drill for improving stamina and agility. Just because you train it doesn't mean you have to use it. But it is good for improving your gas tank. I mean look at guys like Shogun, Wanderlei, and Ninja. They might not ever throw the kick in a match. But they clearly train in this kick. They are known for having good stamina, right? Why do you think that is?

aaron_mag said:
Shogun can fricken jump! I've seen tapes of him doing that kick in training as well. Awesome. We do that same kick in TKD as well.

Many people mistake the reason why training jumping kicks are good. When I spar kickboxing style I don't use jumping kicks. I don't use the funky spinning hook kick you see in the TKD vs MT video posted. I guess if I was really dominating someone, like Shogun was, I'd do it. What the heck.

But the main thing is that it is an agility and conditioning drill. You do updowns for conditioning, right? That is awesome condition. So are jumping kicks. You're getting off the ground and doing complicated moves. It isn't long before your sucking wind.

Perfect drill for improving stamina and agility. Just because you train it doesn't mean you have to use it. But it is good for improving your gas tank. I mean look at guys like Shogun, Wanderlei, and Ninja. They might not ever throw the kick in a match. But they clearly train in this kick. They are known for having good stamina, right? Why do you think that is?

I see what you're getting at, and I have read that in TKD sometimes they drill each kick with a jump just to make it more difficult. Personally though, as good as a one-kick KO would be, I think it's more realistic to train to KO through attrition. You should try to put all of your power into each strike, but be able to throw a lot of them. I think time better spent would be to practice throwing full power and perfect form into each strike for an entire round than to start adding jumps. Not saying it wouldn't help, but I think for MMA purposes, what I mentioned might be a little better.

Still, it's always good to have some tricks up your sleeve.

if it works for you then use it.

Doesnt work for me =/ or perhaps im just not very good with it. But apparently some people have used it in success but i would not set myself up like that in the air.

I usually throw jab-cross-jab-fake cross to the head to get their hands up, then fire the jump roundhouse to the ribs. The fake cross is key. The hip movement is similar to the prep for the kick, and they usually expect another cross.

I'm not afraid of the takedown either, but I don't risk anything higher than the chest 99% of the time at least.

aaron_mag said:

In that case follow the kick up with a spinning backfist just in case.

Back