Jump Rope Training

I usually do 10 rounds of 3 minutes for skipping for a good calorie burning cardio workout. It is hard on my knees though. Ross recommends to do it on padding and with cushioned shoes as opposed to boxing shoes or barefoot on cement. As far as his recommendation for 6 x 3min. rounds, I think that is a warmup for before a boxing workout.

I suck at rope jumping... Not only it makes me gas really fast, but my calves become really tired after a few minutes.

i jump rope a lot. it's fun and easy comepared to everything else i do.

having shin pains and having your calves, shoulders, and forearms getting tired is pretty normal. calves more if you use a speed rope, shoulders and forearms more if using a heavy rope w heavy handes because it goes around slower and you dont have to jump as fast. you can use these as reasons not to use them, or ways to build weaknesses and mix things up.

My kickboxing coach used to make us mob jump rope, 3 minutes for 3 rounds with half a minute break inbetween each round. We did this before and after class. How long do you guys break for inbetween each round? 30 seconds? 40 seconds? a full minute?

most people use a minute your coach is ruining you guys you're overtraining leave that gym ASAP! jk

i think very few people take less than a minute break. most people would rather just add more rounds on. when you're strapped for time though that just makes it more intense and effecient

I started a new routine over winter break.

5 x 2 minute rounds

Each round =
30 seconds burpees (with pushup and jump)
30 seconds rope
30 seconds burpees
30 seconds rope

1 minute rest in between rounds

It's been working tremendously for me, I love it. Trying to decrease the rest time to 45 seconds today, we'll see how it goes.

is it okay to contiune if the ropes hit your legs and then contiune with the 1 min

eazy_mas said:
is it okay to contiune if the ropes hit your legs and then contiune with the 1 min

the amount of time you spend not jumping after you mess up is usually only a few seconds. I know I always go over the time limit when I'm jumping either because I forget to look over at the clock or whatever.

Unless you are messing up after every few turns and your total down time is greater then the time you spent jumping, I wouldn't worry about it.

I LOVE jump roping, that and Elliptical machines are my primary sources of cardio, jumping rope at a fast pace for 10 minutes equalls the same benefits as running 5 miles, that has been proven in numerous studies. Plus jump rope gives you more agility wrist and shoulder strength plus it activates those typeII fast twitch fibers in the calves, a necessary workout for everyone. With all of the different rythms out there you can jumo forever and never get bored.

I tried it after catching that rossboxing clip a few weeks ago. I think the jump rope I have sucks though, because I can't use it for more than a minute without screwing up. It is a rope made of hollow plastic, its light, but it also has semi-perm kinks in it that don't straighten unless you are moving it at a high rate of speed. And it is frustrating to keep restarting. Plus, every time I mess up, it takes a few seconds to get back in sync, and that provides a micro-rest break, so I can't get my heart rate up to snuff.

Eventually, I just got so pissed about it, I just did sets of fast bodyweight squats which was a lot more intense (but boring as hell).

Anyone recommend a good place online to get a good weighted rope? Would that mean a leather one? Key thing is I want one at least 10' long. They seem hard to find. I'm 6'3" and the damn 9' ropes sold all over the place are a little too short for me.

Also - what about the beaded ropes, are they better?

CowboyPete said:
Any advice for us apparently uncoordinated bums who can't jump 10 times without slapping the rope into our legs?

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice,Practice, Practice,

Grady said:
Anyone recommend a good place online to get a good weighted rope? Would that mean a leather one? Key thing is I want one at least 10' long. They seem hard to find. I'm 6'3" and the damn 9' ropes sold all over the place are a little too short for me.

Also - what about the beaded ropes, are they better?

I have seen weight jump ropes that don't have leather. Not sure where you can get them though.

I have seen beaded ropes used by those crazy double dutch people who do insane stuff while jumping. They come in 10"+ so it might be worth it for you to check their effectiveness compared to normal ropes.

It took me 4 hours of solid hard work to learn how to jump rope, but that was fueled by the fact they did it at my MT class just about every week.
I dont agree that the whole "jump rope for _____ = ____ miles" cause I can jump like a mad man but Im only decent at running.

FYI: World record for most jumps in 10 seconds =126 skips
World record for a minute = around 420

Im trying to beat this one day.

Spoonman7 said:
I LOVE jump roping, that and Elliptical machines are my primary sources of cardio, jumping rope at a fast pace for 10 minutes equalls the same benefits as running 5 miles, that has been proven in numerous studies.

Hey Spoonman, could you provide some references to a few of those studies? I want to believe what you're saying, but it's difficult for me to grasp how that could be the case.

Just a personal anecdote on my jump roping experiences:

I live in New York city, where it's been really cold and running outdoors is not really an option (unless you're ultra hardcore about running, which I'm not).

For the past 3 weeks, I've been jumping rope, doing burpees, and doing Tabata thrusters as my sole forms of cardio. My routine is as follows:

5-6 rounds of 2 minutes
30 seconds burpees, 30 seconds jump rope, 30 seconds burpees, 30 seconds jump rope
45 seconds of rest in between rounds
I try to do this three times a week

Tabata thrusters
4 minutes total, comprised of 8 x 30 second intervals
20 seconds Thrusters, 10 seconds rest
Thrusters are basically squat + shoulder press with DBs. I've been using 25lb DBs.
I try to do this twice a week

I have noticed a significant improvement in my conditioning because of this regimen. My body composition has also improved remarkably. Just wanted to throw this out there, in case anybody's looking for something new.

what kind of jump rope would be good for a beginner/novice? I'm currently using a leather rope, I can go about a minute before I mess up.

I got more speed out of those ropes with the hollow plastic on it and feel a bit more comfortable, but I seriously think I'm just jumping too fast and not using any real rhythm. Any suggestions?

Basic little plastic ones are great.
I find them very easy because you can go as fast or slow as you want. They sell the leather ropes at my school but they are not to good, I would go to walmart and get a $5 plastic one.

deadlyshaolin said:
Just a personal anecdote on my jump roping experiences:

I live in New York city, where it's been really cold and running outdoors is not really an option (unless you're ultra hardcore about running, which I'm not).

For the past 3 weeks, I've been jumping rope, doing burpees, and doing Tabata thrusters as my sole forms of cardio. My routine is as follows:

5-6 rounds of 2 minutes
30 seconds burpees, 30 seconds jump rope, 30 seconds burpees, 30 seconds jump rope
45 seconds of rest in between rounds
I try to do this three times a week

Tabata thrusters
4 minutes total, comprised of 8 x 30 second intervals
20 seconds Thrusters, 10 seconds rest
Thrusters are basically squat + shoulder press with DBs. I've been using 25lb DBs.
I try to do this twice a week

I have noticed a significant improvement in my conditioning because of this regimen. My body composition has also improved remarkably. Just wanted to throw this out there, in case anybody's looking for something new.

Thanks mate, looks nice!

I love this exercise. My workout isn't too structured, skip while listening to music until I mess up, rest for a few seconds, then start up again. I've definiitely improved my cardio and overall conditioning because of it. BTW, Ross rules!!!

for the guy having trouble with rope jumping...

look straight ahead and focus on one thing. my coordination improved immensly.

Back