"Jump in" to close the distance

Sufice

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm doing boxing as a hobby together with a friend.
We started out with learning the basics in a boxing gym, so that we wouldnt be completly clueless.
At the moment I'm working at the usual boxing footwork.

But recently I went on a little trip with a few friends to another town and we saw 2 people getting in an argument.
Suddenly one of the guys kinda jumped in, instead of stepping and threw a jab and then a cross.
I don't know how to put it but it wasn't a normal jump.
The distance was about 3-4m I don't know exactly because I wasn't close enough.
Do you guys have any idea what kind of technique/movement that could be?

He hopped forward during his jab you mean?
That's a great way to set up a power 1-2 combo.
Hop forward with the jab and land a power cross right after.

It's prone to counters but in a street fight, the chances the guy will counter are very slim to none.

p.s. In before another "white belt street fight" thread.

he jumped 4m to close the distance?

was this crouching tiger hidden dragon?

@soul Rebel:
I didn't mean he jumped 4m.
They were 3-4m apart and he jumped in just as far so his fist could reach him.

@Lionidas:
Sorry for the street fight thread, but that movement really interests me.
Also its not like I go outside to fight.
Actually in my whole 19 years of life I never got into a real fight.

Sounds like a a "thrust step". Basic movement is somewhere between the push step that is normal in boxing and a Fencer's lunge. It can cover a good 6-8 feet in a single movement. down side though is you are really vulnerable to a counter hit.

I have jumed in with kicks to the midsection but its never my first strike. Im also a big fan of the kangaroo hook but again its something i add on usualy at the end of a combo.

You can spring off of the back foot instead of step-dragging forward, in order to close the distance...but that's not the same thing as "jumping".

lunging forward by pushing off the back leg is common, like others said it is open to counters. all boxers plant milliseconds before throwing the 1,2. key to what the guy did was explosiveness

lunging forward by pushing off the back leg is common, like others said it is open to counters. all boxers plant milliseconds before throwing the 1,2. key to what the guy did was explosiveness

Yeah I got taught this recently in Muay Thai, as a way to close distance. Lunge forward off the back foot, throw a strong jab. But it seems like if your opponent threw a counter you'd get rocked, just from the way you're throwing your body weight forward.

had something similar like that at muay thai tonight.
my mate came in from TKD and has only recently started to do muay thai as well so he just wanted to work on his hands. out of no where he just lept in, almost into clinch range and firing off short sharp shots. did it a couple of times, really took me off guard. it wasn't the normal boxing half step, a decent step or two.

guess you can learn a few good things from TKD after all :p

had something similar like that at muay thai tonight.
my mate came in from TKD and has only recently started to do muay thai as well so he just wanted to work on his hands. out of no where he just lept in, almost into clinch range and firing off short sharp shots. did it a couple of times, really took me off guard. it wasn't the normal boxing half step, a decent step or two.

guess you can learn a few good things from TKD after all :p

your timing must be off.
If a guy does that too u next time , throw your left hook and not a short one ....through him.

Send him nicely off balance.
u can also throw your OVH right, double jabs are great too, shit ..anything.

Leaping in n out is a dumb thing.

The only reason you dont see it coming is if u probably were concentrating too hard.....unless he was teleporting on your ass there is no reason why anybody should be able to close two steps on you with no reaction from you.

You can spring off of the back foot instead of step-dragging forward, in order to close the distance...but that's not the same thing as "jumping".

Exactly, you can definitely fire in or lunge in to close the distance and it can be very effective if done correctly....... But as noted above, there is a distinct difference between jumping in, and sliding, lunging or firing in off the back foot. A couple of ways I find effective are below. I think the ideal time to lunge in or crash in is when you got a guy backing out toward the ropes or corner. REALLY, YOU DON'T WANT TO THINK OF IT AS LUNGING "IN" YOUR REALLY TRYING TO LUNGE THROUGH THE OPPONENT AND CLOSE THE GAP BY GETTING A BODY ON HIM

1. If your opponent is backpedaling, use a feint and lunge in or fire in to close the gap (Feint right hand, lunge in with lead hook). Just make sure your lunging in to where he is going, not where he is at! Marvin Hagler was genius doing this.

2. If your going lunge in, you got to go all the way to your opponent and get a body on him, you dont want to lunge in right in front of him or right in his range, fire all the way in to him and get a body on him.... Ideally, knocking him off balance before you swing.

3. Defensively you can lunge in to close the gap, great tactic for a smaller fighter or a guy with a reach disadvantage. Use a feint or foot feint to get a reaction to time firing in and get your head off centerline or at least covered up on the way in. Personally, I think this is best done by firing in narrow, lunge in and aim the point of the lead shoulder at your opponents solar plexus area, makes you a smaller target on the way in. You get him pulling up or on his heels add a quick pivot once your in and let his ass have it! Bernard Hopkins is one of the best at doing this, watch the Pavlik fight, he took away Kelly's reach and big left cross by firing in every time he tried to set.

Other guys to watch who do this well, lunge in to close the gap.....

Pascal (watch his fight against Dawson), Sergio Martinez, Ricky Hatton, Marvin Hagler, Bernard Hopkins......

Sometimes I will throw a combo, back off, then lunge back in when my opponent drops his hands..

When fighters "jump" to close the distance, they're lifting a foot or both feet off the ground and more often than not, landing a strike before they even hit the ground; see Roy Jones Jr. or Prince Naseem, both of whom were exceptionally gifted. If you slide, or lunge, or spring off the back foot properly, you can still fall back on your footwork if things get hairy. You can't do that with a jump because it is a huge risk and commitment that will either yield success or utter failure.

When fighters "jump" to close the distance, they're lifting a foot or both feet off the ground and more often than not, landing a strike before they even hit the ground; see Roy Jones Jr. or Prince Naseem, both of whom were exceptionally gifted. If you slide, or lunge, or spring off the back foot properly, you can still fall back on your footwork if things get hairy. You can't do that with a jump because it is a huge risk and commitment that will either yield success or utter failure.

My boxing trainer used to do this a lot when we sparred. The fact that your feet are off the ground takes a lot out of the shot.

My boxing trainer used to do this a lot when we sparred. The fact that your feet are off the ground takes a lot out of the shot.

Which is why I tend to rip on people who misuse or misunderstand the "Superman punch". I've heard it described as a, "gravity assisted, distance closer" when nothing could be further from the truth.

Which is why I tend to rip on people who misuse or misunderstand the "Superman punch". I've heard it described as a, "gravity assisted, distance closer" when nothing could be further from the truth.

Where the hell would they get that idea from????

Where the hell would they get that idea from????

Not understanding striking maybe? I don't know, but I've seen it before.

Nah, its more of a fast distance closer with some "gravity assisted power" I would say. That might not be right either, but as far as a fake kick you are really leaning too far forward for a kick to really come from anywhere (unless your Tim Salmon).

ADDED: Plus it really does work sometimes simply because its a different angle. It can throw an opponent's distance and timing off if they are not used to seeing them.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/ever-seen-superman-punch-boxing-523278/

Back