July Conditioning Challenge - Burpee Run

If I can find a way to measure my miles run on a track, and this 100+ heat goes away ill try this.

Last edited:
If I can find a way to measure my miles run on a track, and this 100+ heat ill try this.

A standard track is 400m. Which means 4 laps is one mile. Or you can just use google maps, or number of sites that will map your running route.

I was first time I done them but I was doing including a pushup each one.. Its pretty good how effective the burpees are I now do them each morning my neighbours must thinkg whats he doing seeing my head pop over fence each morning (Cant do them indoors too tall and low ceilings)

The burpees in this challenge do include a pushup lest anyway think otherwise.

It says right in the first post that the burpess must include full push-up and jump. Besides, doing otherwise would be lame.

Yep.. the most accurate would be to use a track and run 4 laps for every mile. Treadmill is a little easier I think since you are indoors. When I did it the 2nd time it was 98 degrees I looked like I just got out of a pool when I was done.

Keep working those burpees, they are the key to this challenge. And yes, to be called a burpee you have to include a pushup and a jump.

I might do this once a week during my conditioning block. I found biking and swimming the next day to be a good rest for the joints while still remaining active.

I've honestly failed this the last two times I've tried it. Seriously. Did not finish. LOL it's been sooo hot here on the east coast. We're not used to this shit!

By far the hardest part is pushing through the first 40-50 seconds of running after the burpees. Damn, I hate burpees.

August's Conditioning Challenge is going to have a hard time competing with this one.

August's Conditioning Challenge is going to have a hard time competing with this one.

Any idea for next month? I was thinking maybe we'll do the 1-2 sprawls revisited. Eventually, I want to do a challenge that actually involves reasonably heavy lifting. Maybe something with deadlift singles, pullups, and burpees. It's tough to do something like that with the varying strength levels of participants.

I like the idea of including pull-ups but it would have to factor in bodyweight. I also like the idea of including heavy deads in a conditioning challenge. Maybe follow them up with a run, sprints, or jump rope.

I like the idea of including pull-ups but it would have to factor in bodyweight. I also like the idea of including heavy deads in a conditioning challenge. Maybe follow them up with a run, sprints, or jump rope.

sprints after deadlifts? Why don't you just come over here and whack me in the hamstrings with a baseball bat.

While I do like the idea of combining some heavy lifting with conditioning for a challenge, I think a big issue would be what's practical for most people. Heavy sled drags or farmer's walks would be great, except they aren't an option for most people. Similarly, I don't know how many people are in a position to do sprints immediately after deadlifts.

I'm not overly concerned with factoring in bodyweight, since it's going to be a factor in pretty much and conditioning challenge. Although people could include their bodyweight with their results, just to put things in perspective.

Any idea for next month? I was thinking maybe we'll do the 1-2 sprawls revisited. Eventually, I want to do a challenge that actually involves reasonably heavy lifting. Maybe something with deadlift singles, pullups, and burpees. It's tough to do something like that with the varying strength levels of participants.

I personally love doing Burpee Pullups and Sledgehammer swings so if you can incorporate those that would be fun.

first post.. anyways, this took me 29 minutes, I used the treadmill and I really had to hustle to get that time.

first attempt outside, not smart to do this at 12:00 in Florida, but I did.

57 minutes 45 seconds.

Muscles didn't really bother me but I almost fell over from heat stress. The first set of burpees and mile run my time was just under 12 minutes, half way through the second mile shit went down hill real fast. Gonna try again at a more thought out time of day at some point.

36:10

Did it on the treadmill this time instead of 90 degree heat outdoors. It definitely helped, but most of my improvement is on the burpees. I did 25 straight the first two sets, third set broke into 20 then 5, then fourth set 15 then 10.

Oh, and I clearly didn't think through that heavy deads followed by sprints idea. Nonetheless, I think mixing strength training with cardio for the next challenge is a good idea. Maybe chins and jump rope. 5 bodyweight chins followed by 200 jumps, rinse and repeat 5 times?

Did it on the treadmill this time instead of 90 degree heat outdoors. It definitely helped, but most of my improvement is on the burpees. I did 25 straight the first two sets, third set broke into 20 then 5, then fourth set 15 then 10.

Oh, and I clearly didn't think through that heavy deads followed by sprints idea. Nonetheless, I think mixing strength training with cardio for the next challenge is a good idea. Maybe chins and jump rope. 5 bodyweight chins followed by 200 jumps, rinse and repeat 5 times?

5 chins? Maybe 20...

Hmm.. my quads were burning during the jump portion of the burpee, shoulders were fine. Might have been because I squatted the day before though.

i'm relatively fine during the burpees (relatively since i've learned to pace myself and burpees are a regular part of my routine. As is running) But it's doing running in between burpee sets where my shoulders and upper arms would get tired. Kind of how your arms start to feel leaden during standup and your hands slowly drop. More of a muscle endurance slow-burn type of feeling, rather than the acute distress from fatigued, recovering muscles.

you're a fucking beast. legs feed the wolf. i'll be happy if i can get this below 35 minutes.

I like the idea, but dont think the numbers add up either.

Hows about 10 chins or the 20 Gary suggested, with either 400m runs(for those that cant skip) or 500 or 1000 skips x 5 sets.

Back