Julius Maddox “Breaks” Bench Press ATWR

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by deadshot138, Sep 1, 2019.

1. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

The most weight lifted in a particular weight class on the specified lift in any federation

Example.

A lifter sets SPF bench press world record for 308b class of 600lbs

B lifter sets all time world record in USPA meet at 308lbs with a 625b bench

B lifter sets the all time world record regardless of federation. Pretty simple. Hes lifted the most weight for his weight class no matter who lifted what in any federation.

ASUThermo likes this.
  2. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    "But lifter B competes in an untested/loosely judged/ insert excuse federation so it doesn't count because atwrs should be judged to a higher standard!"

ASUThermo likes this.
  3. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Yes thank you that's the point I'm trying to make

ASUThermo likes this.
  4. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

An umpire makes a bad call in the World Series but there isnt an asterisk next to the winning team's name

And lets not even pretend anyone who gives a shit about powerlifting actually compares drug tested comps to untested.

ASUThermo likes this.
  5. dissectingaorticaneurysm

dissectingaorticaneurysm Night King Top Team

It counts because the judge called the rack command. The fault lies in the judge who gave it despite the lack of control on lockout. All the judging at this meet was fucked up. All three of Yury Belkin's lifts were mad suspect-

Lotta complaints about the judging being lenient for the "celebrity" lifters.

Miiiiiiighty likes this.
  6. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Btw, the title of that video is "(OFFICIAL) ATWR BENCHPRESS"

7. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

And i said that in response to you talking about having multiple world records because of different federations, not this specific video showing an all time world record.

8. RS86

RS86 White Belt

Yeah that seems to be the main thing people are questioning, did he have it controlled at lockout. Nonetheless it was given and was ridiculous strength from Maddox. Fair play to him

9. boingyman

boingyman If can, can. If no can, no can.

Personally I think the rack command was given too soon, but he is a strong mf'er and as long as he stays healthy he will probably surpass that anyways. I know someone that competed at that meet who bombed on the squat on depth (video looked like it go either way), but many were saying higher squats were being passed so the inconsistencies of the judging was not the best. Some impressive lifting though. The 148er Estrella is a beast, especially given the fact that he seem to have more left in the tank and has shown he's capable of doing more in the gym. Would be fun if he decided to compete in USAPL (if he's clean) and go against all those up and comers at 72kg, maybe even testing Taylor Atwood.

Also those fucking spotters man. I remember at one meet I did I couldn't lockout on the left side and the bar went back and hit the uprights and came down. Spotter wasn't even paying attention. My training partner ran up super quick and grabbed the bar. Luckily with all the adrenalin I was able to hold it againt the upright long enough and my forearm kind of blocked it from landing on my head. I thought my training partner was going to bodyslam that spotter on the floor.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  10. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

There's a horrible video from a Russian meet; the lifter fails 180 and loses control of the bar. The spotters do nothing and it hits him on the chest. He died a few hours later in hospital from damage to this sternum and heart.

11. boingyman

boingyman If can, can. If no can, no can.

Damn, that sucks, RIP. I thought Mike Womack incident was the worse, but at least he lived.

12. Oliver Clothesoff

Oliver Clothesoff Brown Belt Platinum Member

I guess it depends on how long you have to "lock it out" for. It seemed to me it was for about one millisecond before the bar started tipping. Does that constitute a lockout? Seems 'iffy" to me.... not sure he had that bad boy under control, but is "under control" one of the criteria or is it simply to extend your elbows for even the tiniest amount of time? I dunno, but it seems to me that the powers that be are calling it a fair lift and they make the rules, so there you go.

<{hughesimpress}>

13. JSN

JSN Bitch Lasagna

Lol it took five whiteboys to spot one Brother and they still couldn’t manage.

14. Miiiiiiighty

Miiiiiiighty Silver Belt

100% agree with you.
    Never had it locked or he wouldn't have had to following issues as soon.
    By the way people need to stop giving commands faster than a 100m dash Olympic final's start.
    Reminds me of the friendly ( to say the least ) " press " command from Ed Coan on Mendy's world record back then.

15. Jack Handy jr

Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

meh...how much can he curl?

16. deadshot138

deadshot138 Red Belt

My guess would be....a lot.

He just posted a video that said “Road to 800lbs Bench Press.” He’s insane.

Jack Handy jr likes this.
  17. Halge

Halge Silver Belt

Good stuff. Sarychev seemingly sort of lost his drive after setting his world record, and tried to capitalize on his fame instead of improving. Nice to see Maddox is still hungry.

18. Terminator0611

Terminator0611 White Belt

At least he didnt arch like some yoga teaching pussy in the lightweight divisions.