Julianna Pena: If I don't get a title shot then I quit. Accuses Holly of ducking her.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
"I'm not happy about this fight and it has absolutely nothing to do with Valentina and everything to do with me acquiring more of a resume than any female in the 135-pound division. I have beaten everybody that they've put in front of me. I've yet to lose. I've still not been able to fight for a title. These girls coming off of knockouts and they get to fight for the title again. Girls that I've beaten, girls that didn't get past me on The Ultimate Fighter getting to fight for the title. I still have yet to wrap my brain around the fact that I have beaten everybody and still can't sniff a title shot. I don't understand why that is.

"In this case I was offered a main event spot with a little bit of a more sweetened deal and that made me realize that this is the fight that I need to take now. Once I get past this one I can set my sights on the title shot which is what I've been gunning for this whole entire time."

"That's the notion that I picked up and if not this time I will raise hell. I think Dana knows that I'm a firecracker, and I definitely don't think that he wants see the wrath that will come if I don't get a title shot after this. I would be shocked. I won't say that it couldn't happen because anything can happen, especially in this sport. But I think that he definitely knows that I'm the clear cut answer for getting a title shot. So I don't want to even put that in the universe. If I don't get a title shot, I quit."

However there is certainly the potential that Peña may get passed over even with a win. After all, the UFC announced this week that former champion and Rousey slayer Holly Holm would be fighting Germaine de Randamie for the inaugural women's featherweight championship at UFC 208 in February. Should Holm and Rousey both prove victorious, a rematch between the two with both belts on the line is likely one of the biggest possible events the UFC could put together in 2017. But don't get Peña started on that topic. She's not a fan of Holm getting the opportunity to fight for a title coming off back-to-back losses.

"That's BS. It's ridiculous. I asked to fight Holly. I asked to fight that girl and then she gets another title shot again. It's comical and whatever. That's what I think about that. It's bullshit but whatever. What am I gonna do? I've called them all out. I've asked to fight them. Harmless Holly is not going to be the end all be all to me and my career. I would love to fight her. I feel like I'm talking to a wall sometimes."

And therein lies the rub of being Julianna Peña: she wants to fight these contenders but the risk vs. reward isn't enticing enough compared to other opportunities for the big names. It's a problem of marketing, something Peña says the UFC doesn't do a good job of when it comes to her.

"Absolutely not. I'm the first female to win The Ultimate Fighter, ever, in the history. That's marketing enough in itself. I beat all those girls and I finished them and all the girls I've fought and beat currently. Cat Zingano is still one of the toughest girls in the division in my opinion. I just feel like they definitely haven't marketed me in the way like I feel I should be marketed. And that's unfortunate and it drives me nuts but what am I gonna do?

"I feel like I keep complaining and people are tired of hearing me complain. I'm tired of hearing myself complain. It's like put up or shut up. Just go in there and fight and do your job and let the rest handle itself. Like Dana said, trust the timing of your life."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/12/...anna-pena-will-raise-hell-if-she-doesnt-get-a

2016, the year of Salty Brazillians....

hope 2017 will be better for them....

Its rare for me to actaully hate a fighter, but i hate Pena lol

giphy.gif

Maybe the multiple assault charges has something to do with it? A criminal isn't a marketable champion to the UFC. Ask Jon Jones.

Dana better don't underestimate the kick to the groin.

source.gif

me acquiring more of a resume than any female in the 135-pound division.

Girls that I've beaten, girls that didn't get past me on The Ultimate Fighter getting to fight for the title.

Holly and GDR lost on TUF to Pena?

Holly and GDR were on TUF?

Pena has a better resume than Nunes, Ronda or even Cat (despite beating Cat)?

lol

2016 is definitely the year of, 'If I don't get my way and get a title shot, I am going to quit/retire/sit out...its a trend I was sick of the first time I saw it.

Pena, Valentina is ranked higher than you, why "you no understand this?" if she wins this fight she deserves her TS yes

winning streaks mean nothing if you don't beat legit guys in the division

Let Pena fight Cyborg for the inaugural 150 lb championship.

I fucking hope this chick gets KTFO badly, but sadly we are talking about WMMA so it`s pretty rare.

I bet she will decline the offer to fight Holm at 145 for the FW belt if Holm wins.

So.....

Also, RRR deserves it more than Pena cuz she is still higher ranked and RRR sells more.

Pena, you just not marketable.

Back