Julianna Peña: “I’d love to pull Ronda Out of Retirement”

Ah yes, just what we need. More fighter calling out people that have no business fighting for a title just because "money fight".

Let's just have Diaz, Conor, Brock and Ronda fighting back to back on every card against a lucky opponent.

tg179TX.gif

Unlock this thread!

- Sep 6, 2016
How Ronda Becomes Champ Again: It's Through Julianna Peña
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/how-ronda-becomes-champ-again-its-through-julianna-peña.3337525/

QUOTE:
Ronda can not beat most likely loses to Amanda Nunes...

Exemplifying the notion of "styles make fights"...
- Julianna will defeat Amanda
- Ronda will defeat Julianna

Amanda Nunes, Valentina Shevchenko, and Holly Holm all have the striking to defeat Ronda Rousey... while anyone who depends on clinching-up and/or grappling, gets out-classed by Ronda; that means Alexis Davis, Cat Zingano, Miesha Tate... and Julianna Peña.

Both Ronda and Julianna depend on clinching up and grappling however, with her quickness, durability, reach and grit, Julianna has a much better chance of defeating those high-level strikers than Ronda does.

Julianna Peña is the key to Ronda's return to the Title.
Agree?​

Unlock this thread!

- Sep 6, 2016
How Ronda Becomes Champ Again: It's Through Julianna Peña
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/how-ronda-becomes-champ-again-its-through-julianna-peña.3337525/

QUOTE:
Ronda can not beat most likely loses to Amanda Nunes...

Exemplifying the notion of "styles make fights"...
- Julianna will defeat Amanda
- Ronda will defeat Julianna

Amanda Nunes, Valentina Shevchenko, and Holly Holm all have the striking to defeat Ronda Rousey... while anyone who depends on clinching-up and/or grappling, gets out-classed by Ronda; that means Alexis Davis, Cat Zingano, Miesha Tate... and Julianna Peña.

Both Ronda and Julianna depend on clinching up and grappling however, with her quickness, durability, reach and grit, Julianna has a much better chance of defeating those high-level strikers than Ronda does.

Julianna Peña is the key to Ronda's return to the Title.
Agree?​
You made some good points but Pēna doesn’t depend on the clinch to win fights anymore. She’s learned patience and beat Amanda Nunes by outstriking her on the feet.

Against Olympic Silver Medalist, Sara McMann, Pēna only clinched her in the third round. She was striking with her in rounds 1 & 2.

Pēna has really improved her striking which is why she doesn’t look to clinch as much. Plus she rocked the best striker in the division in Germaine DeRandamie.

You made some good points but Pēna doesn’t depend on the clinch to win fights anymore. She’s learned patience and beat Amanda Nunes by outstriking her on the feet.

Against Olympic Silver Medalist, Sara McMann, Pēna only clinched her in the third round. She was striking with her in rounds 1 & 2.

Pēna has really improved her striking which is why she doesn’t look to clinch as much. Plus she rocked the best striker in the division in Germaine DeRandamie.

Lots of things have changed, true, but Julianna is still Ronda's best chance to get the Title (in theory).

Ronda's grappling threat still dictates the fight.

40 year old Sara McMann had Julianna on the ground 2 minutes into the fight, had her back, top control, and/or clinched-up for most of the 1st Round... had her on her back/clinched-up in Round 2... in the 3rd, Julianna initiated the grappling to get the win. She wouldn't survive that long vs Ronda.

Julianna relies on toughness to endure her speed and footwork disadvantage, she's not a super skilled striker. She's that quintessential 'jack of all trades, master of none'... and the type of fighter who... 'eats two punches to land one'. Julianna blitzed DeRandimie to get to the clinch and takedown... clinch up with Ronad once and it's likely over.

EDIT: Of course Julianna can beat Ronda. I could see one of her long, lurching jabs stun Ronda and then pour it on, but again Julianna would be Ronda's best chance.

Last edited:
Lots of things have changed, true, but Julianna is still Ronda's best chance to get the Title (in theory).

Ronda's grappling threat still dictates the fight.

40 year old Sara McMann had Julianna on the ground 2 minutes into the fight, had her back, top control, and/or clinched-up for most of the 1st Round... had her on her back/clinched-up in Round 2... in the 3rd, Julianna initiated the grappling to get the win. She wouldn't survive that long vs Ronda.

Julianna relies on toughness to endure her speed and footwork disadvantage, she's not a super skilled striker. She's that quintessential 'jack of all trades, master of none'... and the type of fighter who... 'eats two punches to land one'. Julianna blitzed DeRandimie to get to the clinch and takedown... clinch up with Ronad once and it's likely over.

EDIT: Of course Julianna can beat Ronda. I could see one of her long, lurching jabs stun Ronda and then pour it on, but again Julianna would be Ronda's best chance.
McMann can take people down far easier than Ronda can. She shoots for double legs which is what she did against Pena and Ronda can only take people down in the clinch.

If Julianna was to use some lateral movement against Ronda and stick and move; then I think she would be able to avoid being taken down by Ronda.

Yes, Julianna did blitz DeRandamie but I really don’t think she’s going to try and clinch Ronda. She was winning on the feet against McMann so she could have won the fight standing but she chose to take McMann down. Nobody should be clinching Ronda Rousey. You would have expected Pēna to immediately clinch Nunes but she didn’t. She beat her on the feet and then when she saw she was gassed, she clinched her and took her down.

I could see her doing the same thing against Ronda and I really can’t see Ronda being a threat off her back if she’s as gassed as she was against Holly.

If this was the old Julianna Pēna where she would bull rush to get the clinch then I would agree with you. However with her improved striking and patience, I think she beats Ronda on the feet, gasses her out, takes her down and finishes her on the ground.

Like Usman calling out GSP. Stop calling out long retired fighters champs…

That’s not a good example. GSP has come back to win a title before. GSP also didn’t leave getting KO’d twice. Look at Fedor. Usman calling out GSP was good move…just not to you because you don’t want to see him take an ass whippin

The only one that can get Ronda out of retirement is someone like Gina Carano.

McMann can take people down far easier than Ronda can. She shoots for double legs which is what she did against Pena and Ronda can only take people down in the clinch.

If Julianna was to use some lateral movement against Ronda and stick and move; then I think she would be able to avoid being taken down by Ronda.

Yes, Julianna did blitz DeRandamie but I really don’t think she’s going to try and clinch Ronda. She was winning on the feet against McMann so she could have won the fight standing but she chose to take McMann down. Nobody should be clinching Ronda Rousey. You would have expected Pēna to immediately clinch Nunes but she didn’t. She beat her on the feet and then when she saw she was gassed, she clinched her and took her down.

I could see her doing the same thing against Ronda and I really can’t see Ronda being a threat off her back if she’s as gassed as she was against Holly.

If this was the old Julianna Pēna where she would bull rush to get the clinch then I would agree with you. However with her improved striking and patience, I think she beats Ronda on the feet, gasses her out, takes her down and finishes her on the ground.

You have stats to back that up regarding takedowns, McMann compared to Ronda? I doubt your statement there. Ronda has throws and trips, in any case Julianna is not some TD defense wiz anyway.

Lots of "ifs"... but Julianna is plodding, not great footwork. She was slipping as she exchanged with Amanda... she "could" do the same to Ronda. But those long, reaching punches is what plays into Ronda's CLINCH GAME! Ronda wraps you up after you throw and she slips. Your arm extends over her back... she steps in, hip to hip... she's got you wrapped up.

Julianna's best chances would be "if" she could become a KICKboxer against Ronda.

Back