Judoka Vs. Wrestler?

GuardGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
OK, lets say we have two (2) grapplers, one is a Judo guy and the other is a wrestler, they both have been studying their grappling style for exactly 5 years...Who is more likely to get the takedown? In other words, which style is "better" and more "affective" ? Answers from both wrestlers and people who are Judokas or studying Judo would be much appreciated. :)

I would say the wrestler because they have a stronger base and of course I do wrestling so i have to favour it, although once on the ground I think the Judoka would take control

If the wrestler is wearing a gi, im guessing the judo player will win and vice versa.

This is pointless and will only start opinionated arguments.

Soulfly said:
This is pointless and will only start opinionated arguments.

Well, if you dont like it, dont post on this thread, easy and as simple as that. I just wanna gather some opinions thats all. :p

being that i was a wrestler and now am a grappler..... i'd have to go with the wrestler no matter what ive taken down many judoka in my time gi or not... however once it hit the ground, until i learned jiujitsu, that was all judoka

alot proabably depends on wether they are waering Gi's or not. But that said I think wrestlers can generaally avoid throws better than judokas can acoid double and single legs.

alot of factors though.

5 years of wrestling is way more than 2-3 times a week judo, you do realize...

plus the conditioning.

you are better off comparing national level fighters.

It depends. Greco-Roman or Freestyle?

I would find it exceptionally interesting to see a national caliber judoka and Greco-Roman wrestler go at it.

With the gi the judoka has a pretty good chance of controlling the wrestler and preventing him from getting the shoot and then can work for sweeps, without the gi the judoka is screwed and will get taken down. My answer to this problem: train both.

Wild Dan Hibiki said:
LOL goddamn @ this thread. it's wrong on so many levels

Then exit the thread and dont post in it? Easy right?

Freestyle wrestler would get the takedown if both are equal ability in the respective side.

Wrestler every time. Harder training. Unless he wears a gi then it is a bit closer.

I dunno, even if the wrestler was in gi they still will fight for grips. If the judoka doesn't get grips a lot of his throws can't be done. If the wrestler doesn't get grips it doesn't matter.

I would go for wrestler gets top. Judoka transitions to guard and goes for subs all day.

GuardGame, if you are in this situation, go at it and film it. Post it here and you will get props even if you lose.

Gothic_Coop said:
Wrestler every time. Harder training. Unless he wears a gi then it is a bit closer.

WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!

Let me tell you about REAL JUDO PRACTICES. I was an English teacher at a school in Japan that had won the national championship- Okinawa Shougaku in Naha, Okinawa.

I lived in the Judo dorm (it was an apartment building with extra rooms), although I was only a teacher. These guys trained HARDER than any highe school wrestling program I had ever participated in, and yes, I placed 3rd in the state of Florida for both freestyle and High School (Class 4A- 1994, State Tourney, 135 lbs.). We practiced from 2:30-5:30pm 5 days a week, with short pratices on Saturday, only during the wrestlings seasons. So, yes, I know what I am talking about.

These students trained, lived and slept Judo. They woke up at 5:30am, had breakfast, then practiced from 6am til 7:30am. they went to school, then they have practice again from 2:30-6pm.

Their routine consisted of Stretch/Cardio 2:30-3pm, newaza (ground work) and drills from 3-4pm. Stand up drill from 4pm-4:30ish. Then followed by 1.5 of INTENSE sparring with not only other team members, but the Okinawa SWAT team and various adult expert Judoka.

Those Japanese Judoka dedicate themselves at the high school level at the same level as college wrestlers do. So, to say that Judo practices are not as diificult and intense as wrestling is just plain wrong.

Maybe you are referring to the YMCA Judo schools that you may have seen, but real judo practices are as intense, if not more intense, than the average high school wrestling practice.

John O'Brien said:
Freestyle wrestler would get the takedown if both are equal ability in the respective side.

I think you are assuming this is happening in a no-gi match. WIth a gi, obviously, it goes to the judoka if they are equally experienced.

And as most street fights are fought with clothes on, the judoka has the edge. It is easy to stuff a takedown if someone has a shirt or jacket on.

It really comes down to whether or not they are wearing a gi.

tequilaman said:
WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!

Let me tell you about REAL JUDO PRACTICES. I was an English teacher at a school in Japan that had won the national championship- Okinawa Shougaku in Naha, Okinawa.

I lived in the Judo dorm (it was an apartment building with extra rooms), although I was only a teacher. These guys trained HARDER than any highe school wrestling program I had ever participated in, and yes, I placed 3rd in the state of Florida for both freestyle and High School (Class 4A- 1994, State Tourney, 135 lbs.). We practiced from 2:30-5:30pm 5 days a week, with short pratices on Saturday, only during the wrestlings seasons. So, yes, I know what I am talking about.

These students trained, lived and slept Judo. They woke up at 5:30am, had breakfast, then practiced from 6am til 7:30am. they went to school, then they have practice again from 2:30-6pm.

Their routine consisted of Stretch/Cardio 2:30-3pm, newaza (ground work) and drills from 3-4pm. Stand up drill from 4pm-4:30ish. Then followed by 1.5 of INTENSE sparring with not only other team members, but the Okinawa SWAT team and various adult expert Judoka.

Those Japanese Judoka dedicate themselves at the high school level at the same level as college wrestlers do. So, to say that Judo practices are not as diificult and intense as wrestling is just plain wrong.

Maybe you are referring to the YMCA Judo schools that you may have seen, but real judo practices are as intense, if not more intense, than the average high school wrestling practice.

japan and some uropean countries have great judo programs. They take the kids from grade schol into college on this stuff. A judoka in the USA on average isn't going to be able to be trained like that.

If thy're wearing clothes, I give it to the judoka. In singlets or trunks, the wrestler gets the advantage, especially in the folkstyle/colegiate style.

A greco-roman vs judoka match would be great to see.

tequilaman said:
WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!

Well all the Judo I have seen has been here in the states and I can tell you I never seen anything close to that. BTW That training cycle sounds about what I did in high school.

Karelin go up against any Olympic level heavyweight Judoka.

Back