Judo Workout, PHASE 3, Brown to Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the classes where we limp out all sweaty and tired.....crawl into our beds.....and have judo dreams. :D

I know where you are coming from. I think we should make the round robin a must for the end of each class. WAR VV JUDO CLUB

03-07-2006

ordean said:
I like the classes where we limp out all sweaty and tired.....crawl into our beds.....and have judo dreams. :D

I know where you are coming from. I think we should make the round robin a must for the end of each class. WAR VV JUDO CLUB

JUDO

Ok. Much better tonight. We did grip work (breaking, dominate gripping, transitions to throws, standing arm bars, etc) for at least a half an hour. Then we did "one step" to seoi nage (when the opponent pushes) uchikomi stuff. Then to the crash pad. I'd say ALL of us were nailing this throw big time tonight. Nice work Mr. Ordean! Left and right side throws. At the end we did a little kata randori but no throw, just hoisting the guy up on the hips. If they went over so be it. Focus on seoi nage. Good class.

Did I mention we tried out flying arm bars the last class? Now that was fun!

LEGS

Earlier in the day I did some ultra-light leg work. I've been reading all of the stickies over in Power and Strength, and I'm starting to get some good ideas. Anyway, I started my leg routine today, very, very light.

Squats: Body weight only. 3 x 8.
Machine leg extensions: 3 x 8. setting 1.
Machine leg curls: 3 x 8. setting 1.
Sit ups: 3 x 8. Full on decline bench.

Seriously. I want to start real easy and work up over several months to some decent squats. With me knee injury I'm in no hurry (yes I mis-typed me. But I liked the way it sounds kind of Irish. Ya wee lads).

03-09-2006

PUSH

10 minute stationary bike warm up.
Flat bench: 135 lbs, 3 sets, 8 reps
Barbell military press: 45 lb bar, 3 sets, 8 reps
Tricep cable press downs: 40 lbs, 3 sets, 8 reps

Again, super easy. Building up VERY gradually.

JUDO

Me = unfocused and cranky. CRANKY.
Went over sangaku jime (commonly known as the triangle) before class, with some good sub grappling tips thrown in by Ordean.
Then we went into ashi gatame:
Ashi-gatame.jpg

and eventually jigoku (the hell strangle):
jigokujime.png

Some taking the back stuff was thrown in (going for jigoku and single wing).
We added more and more resistance and effort as we went along, but man I just felt totally not into it and out of sorts.
Weird night for me, but a solid class.

03-10-2006

HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE

Watching it right now. Funniest movie ever. Humor is good for the body, mind, and soul.

HIKE

30 minute brisk hike with hills. Soft core? Sure. But my knee still needs some time. Speaking of which...

KNEE

MRI today. Why didn't anyone tell me that machine was so fucking loud and clastrophobic seizure inducing. Results on Tuesday.

I've had a few brewski's btw. :) Woot!

PULLS

Super light weights, just trying to work on correct form. Been spending a lot of time over in the Strength and Power forum.
Again, I'm not concerned with the amount I'm lifting in the slightest bit right now. I've got my sites on a solid dead lift by 6 months from now. I'll probably have to face the music and post video footage of myself performing the bench, squat, and dead lift over in the Strength forum to get feedback. However, I've noticed that those guys give pretty good advice and get guys lifting correctly, and with A LOT of poundage.

"Dead lift": dumbells in each hand (20 lbs?) 3 sets x 12 reps.
Good mornings with a broom stick across my shoulders: 3 sets x 12 reps
Saxon bends with broom stick: 3 sets x 12
Bent over rows (found a heavy bucket filled with liguid): 3 sets times 8

This is what my "Pull" day is gonna' pretty much look like for the next 6 weeks, adding weight each week. There will be variations on the theme.

HIKE:

Easy 30 minutes, some hills. Again, nothing strenous until after the MRI results ok it (or not).

03-13-2006

Bubble Boy said:
03-05-2006

Steel, dude, you seriously need a cool av.

Niiiiice. Wowzer.

PUSH

Bench 135 lbs: 12, 9, 8
Overhead Barbell Press 45 lbs: 12, 12, 9
Tricep Cable Pushdowns 40 lbs: 12, 12, 12
Situps, full, incline, 10 lb plate: 12, 12, 12

Bubble Boy said:
03-13-2006

Niiiiice. Wowzer.

PUSH

Bench 135 lbs: 12, 9, 8
Overhead Barbell Press 45 lbs: 12, 12, 9
Tricep Cable Pushdowns 40 lbs: 12, 12, 12
Situps, full, incline, 10 lb plate: 12, 12, 12
i think my avitar is a little spicy :-D

give working in some incline and decline benching a go if you're bored, i think it'd be a good functional strength maker. I find them a little more beneficial in judo as you tend to be pushing down alot while on the ground or bridging and pushing people off with the incline.

Steeltwo said:
i think my avitar is a little spicy :-D

Makes me feel patriotic......

Rob hit me up when you hear about your MRI......WAR Rob's Knee!!!!!!:icon_twis :icon_twis :icon_twis

03-14-2006

Got my MRI results today:
Hairline fracture (or micro-fracture of the tibia) and sprained collateral lateral ligament.
The "fracture" is right on the ball of the tibia, on the outside of my knee. The spot on my femur just above the fracture on my tibia was bruised.
Minisci, ACL, and MCL all fine.

Obviously no surgery or anything, but I'm supposed to rest it for 6-8 weeks.

I'm going to have to figure out what kind of leg workout is safe to do. I think keeping it light like I've been doing should be good for the 6-8 weeks. Then...

Ordean said:
WAR Rob's Knee!!!!!!

LMAO! More like Economic Sanctions with UN approval Rob's Knee!!!!!!!

See ya at Judo.

Steel. Never, ever, change your av.

Hey, BubbleBoy, just thought I'd let you know that I got raped in bjj class today by THIS guy:

http://starjiujitsu.com/instructors.htm (the second guy, Sina Haddad)

"Sina Haddad is a recognized World Champion specializing in Judo and has trained at the Kodokan in Japan.
- Third Degree Black Belt in Judo - Silver Medalist (Kier Bulgaria)
- 20 years experience in Judo - Bronze Medalist (Central China)
- 10 years experience in coaching Judo - Silver Medalist (Iranian Armed Forces in Italy)
- Over 150 gold medals Judo - Gold Medalist (Dallas Invitational Judo Championship)
- Iranian National Judo Team Member - Six Years - 2 time Gold Medalist (Lonestar Championship)
- Gold Medalist (Turkish / Iranian Championship) - Silver Medalist Texas All Star Judo Tournament "

I thought you might find it a little amusing seeing this guy spank a white belt like me, ahahaaa. Have you heard of him or trained with him before??? just wondering

any judoka who has trained in japan at the kodokan, you should run away from
and quickly :)

as for your knee

good to hear no tendon/ligement damage.
keep to low impact items. So you might not want to do any treadmill or hill runs for a while.

03-15-2006

SQUATS

Squats, 45 lb bar: 3 x 12. Having trouble getting past parallel.
Leg Press, 90 lbs: 3 x 12.
Leg extensions, lightest weight: 3 x 12
Leg curls, lightest weight: 3 x 12
Calf raises, 50 lbs: 3 x 12

Recumbant Stationary Bike, easy pace: 15 minutes

Yoga: 15 minutes

Diligent, that guy looks like the real deal. No, I've never heard of him, but that doesn't mean jack. He's obviously 100% legit.
I'm familiar with Joe Garcia, your Muay Thai guy, if it's the guy I'm thinking of. I almost trained at his school in Casa Grande, Arizona when I was going to a 4 month Ranger academy in that town. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to leave the campus. His wife worked on the campus and was very cool and I talked UFC / Pride stuff with her quite a bit.
Small world eh?

Yeah Steel, for the next couple months or so it'll be recumbant stationary bike stuff and swimming for cardio. I think the micro fracture may have been precipitated by a small stress fracture to the same area from running.

Bubble Boy said:
03-15-2006

SQUATS

Squats, 45 lb bar: 3 x 12. Having trouble getting past parallel.
Leg Press, 90 lbs: 3 x 12.
Leg extensions, lightest weight: 3 x 12
Leg curls, lightest weight: 3 x 12
Calf raises, 50 lbs: 3 x 12

Recumbant Stationary Bike, easy pace: 15 minutes

Yoga: 15 minutes

Diligent, that guy looks like the real deal. No, I've never heard of him, but that doesn't mean jack. He's obviously 100% legit.
I'm familiar with Joe Garcia, your Muay Thai guy, if it's the guy I'm thinking of. I almost trained at his school in Casa Grande, Arizona when I was going to a 4 month Ranger academy in that town. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to leave the campus. His wife worked on the campus and was very cool and I talked UFC / Pride stuff with her quite a bit.
Small world eh?

Yeah Steel, for the next couple months or so it'll be recumbant stationary bike stuff and swimming for cardio. I think the micro fracture may have been precipitated by a small stress fracture to the same area from running.

Oh, ok, just wondering. Yeah, I saw Joe Garcia giving some private lesson before my bjj class ... he works his students hard.

03-16-2006

JUDO

Some ground work drills: egg beater legs, baseball slide around the guard, knee in crotch
guard slip through...that kind of stuff. Some guard sweeps. We worked on the guard pass/ stack/ choke that I drew the pictures of a few months back. Painful.
After a while we switched to this drill where one guy holds on to his own belt and wrestles with the other guy who can use his hands. The idea is to roll out, sit out, switch, Granby roll, regain guard, etc, all without the use of your hands. Interesting drill, but it was evil all the same. Next we were allowed to use our hands but still focused just on rolling out, switching, etc, no subs.
At this moment in class Ordean jumped up and rushed to the bathroom. He said something about having "a little problem." Randy and I worked a little more and then Ordean came back, his forehead beaded with sweat, green tint to his skin, and for some reason topless.
He mumbled something about his stomach and needing to leave, "NOW", and suddenly left.

I think the poor guy pooped himself. That's my theory.

:)

Bubble Boy said:
03-16-2006

JUDO

Some ground work drills: egg beater legs, baseball slide around the guard, knee in crotch
guard slip through...that kind of stuff. Some guard sweeps. We worked on the guard pass/ stack/ choke that I drew the pictures of a few months back. Painful.
After a while we switched to this drill where one guy holds on to his own belt and wrestles with the other guy who can use his hands. The idea is to roll out, sit out, switch, Granby roll, regain guard, etc, all without the use of your hands. Interesting drill, but it was evil all the same. Next we were allowed to use our hands but still focused just on rolling out, switching, etc, no subs.
At this moment in class Ordean jumped up and rushed to the bathroom. He said something about having "a little problem." Randy and I worked a little more and then Ordean came back, his forehead beaded with sweat, green tint to his skin, and for some reason topless.
He mumbled something about his stomach and needing to leave, "NOW", and suddenly left.

I think the poor guy pooped himself. That's my theory.

:)

You know that sickening stomach drop feeling.......:eek: :eek:
The mens bathroom was sick.....so I had to pop into the womens... anyway long story short I think the Olive Garden took some revenge on my poor tummy. :redface:
I went home and finshed off the job in a non county fairground facility. Didn't poop my panties but it was DAMN close.

03-17-2006

PUSH

10 minute stationary bike warm-up
Bench Press, 135 lbs: 12, 10, 9, 4
Military Press, 45 lb bar: 12, 12, 12, 8
Tate Presses. 10 lbs x 12, 15 x 12, 15 x 12

I think I'm doing some things wrong with the reps, so I need to go check out Urban's beginners workout (basically the stuff I'm following) over at Strength & Power.

ordean said:
You know that sickening stomach drop feeling.......:eek: :eek:
The mens bathroom was sick.....so I had to pop into the womens... anyway long story short I think the Olive Garden took some revenge on my poor tummy. :redface:
I went home and finshed off the job in a non county fairground facility. Didn't poop my panties but it was DAMN close.

LMAO dude! Sorry, but this was serious razzing material. I keep a detailed log.
Funny, but my stomach was tossing and turning too. At one point Randy was doing a brutal knee on belly thing that was excrutiating. He had no idea how close he was to complete human methane annilhilation.
We only rolled for 5 minutes after you left anyway.

Ok, here's the weight room routine I'm following. It's 90% Urban and 10% Carnal. I'll be strictly following this routine, plus whatever knee-friendly cardio I can come up with. I'm also going to incorporate some yoga into this mix. I'll probably have a high rep, circuit training bit thrown into this plan also.

Anyway, here's the plan, directly from Strength and Power:

Day one:
Deadlift – 3x 8-12
Weighted Pull-ups Or Bent over row
Stiff legged Deadlifts Or Romanian Deadlifts
Ab Wheel rollouts

Day two:
Barbell Flat Bench press
Military press or Dumbbell incline Bench press
Tate press
Some other pressing assistance.

Day three:
Power squats
Box squats or Front squats
Good Mornings or Romanian Deadlifts
Saxon side bends

Day one:
Deadlifts 5X5
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 3-4X5-8
Bent Over Barbell Rows 4X6
Shrugs 3-4X6-12

Day Two:
Bench Press 5X5
Skull Crushers 3-4X6-8
Overhead Press (seated, standing, dumbbells or barbells) 3-4X6-8
DB Bench Press 3X8-12
Add in an assistance lift for what you consider your weakest area

Day Three:
Squats 5X5
Front Squats 3-4X6
Whatever ham/lowback/quad assistance you’d like, but keep it limited

As a general rule for 8 weeks I would have you just do 3 sets of 8-12 on most exercises and rest for 90 seconds or so in between sets. Then add a set (week 9), two weeks later (week 11) add another set. By your 12th week you should be doing 5x8-12 for each exercise.

Now that you have your sets up to 5, for the next 8 weeks you're going to reduce reps. Start with 8 reps on all your exercises, and each week do one less (with more weight you ninny).

Three weeks into when you began reducing reps, you're going to be doing 5 reps on everything. Keep your assistance exercises around the 4-6 rep range and keep knocking off reps on your main lifts (Bench, Squat and Deadlift) until you're down to 1 rep. Now you can go to failure. This is going to be your max. Go down to 80% of this and keep doing 5x5 for three weeks, then start knocking off reps for the last 5 weeks. Repeat until you’re a strong mother fucker. This is called linear periodization.

Just remember.

More is not better in this case and take a week off every 4 or 5 weeks.

I can't say I like those routine much, but it can't hurt to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back