Judo vs. Wrestling question.

Rory McDonell

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I have a theory about Judoka vs. wrestlers, but I'm not that informed about judo. How long does an average match last? and what does an average judo class consist of? any help would be appreciated.

5 min in Judo usually. Depends sometimes on age/skill level though.

Although it would probably be much more helpfull for you to actually take Judo lessons and compete before you start making theories.

I agree. How did you make a theory about Judo and Wrestling, when you admit to knowing little about Judo?

a regular judo class at the school is about an hour long. ten minutes of warm up including rolls and slapouts (breakfalls). technique instruction and practice, usually three to four throws or counteres for about 30 minutes. At the end we match them up for rendori (or sparring). no time limits, three falls.

lol, ok my theory is admitedly very rudimentary. I watched a judo competition, and the matches all seemed to be ending very quickly. How often does a judo match go the full five minutes?
Judo seems interesting, but I hate gi's. I wrestle freestyle, and I was a greco national champ (in Canada). I like the submissions in judo, and some of the throws are pretty cool. It always interesting squaring off against a judoka in wrestling.
again, any info would be appreciated.

It depends on the difference in skill levels. If you go to a tournament, as the days goes on, the skill levels converge and the matches usually lengthen.

www.judoinfo.com is a good source of information. You might some good articles in this section especially http://judoinfo.com/article2.htm

Judo matches will end immediately if somebody gets thrown for Ippon once or for Wazari twice.

ok, well I've got another question, because my theory might be full of shit.
For anyone that has done both judo and wrestling, how do they compare in terms of difficulty in a match, and intensity of training at the gym?

I'll take Rory's theory for 500 Alex.

What is Rory's theory?

What is, a good wrestler can beat a good judoka?

yes, and you have the lead.

If you want to avoid flaming as a result of your inquiry, just ask a question such as, "Would a trained wrestler be more able bodied than a trained judoka," or " could a trained wrestler dominate a trained judoka?" Do this instead of "forming" some theory on the board. It goes a lot quicker and saves you time trying to make an informed hypothesis.

Judo and Greco-Roman wrestling are almost interchangable, one with gi one with no gi, although both have some techniques not used in the other style. Freestyle wrestling is better for learning shoot in takedowns and armdrags. Study whatever you enoy the most.

having done some judo and some wrestling, wrestling involves alot more ground control and strength but judo leaves you hurting a lot more from the throws and some throws can be pulled off without much strength if your technique is good.

also the average wrestler is more conditioned than the average judoka

Judo is often done on a recreational level aswell

Average mean time 3:31 at the 99 Worlds. Avg for worlds 95-01 3:30.(males)

Canadian judoka mean VO2 values 53.75 ml.kg Polish judoka at 59.0
Elite wrestlers mean averaged 51 to 62. Other findings at 60 -70.( dif maybe due to format of assessment)

Hand grip strength tests, right and left combined- Canadian judoka - 112.1 kg
-'varsity' wrestlers- 107.3 kg

Bench press 1rm -Canadian judoka- 100kg
-'varsity' wrestlers- 98.5 kg

Note: the difference of strength in the judo athletes and wrestlers is due to the level of competition and years of training.

From: The Sport Science of Elite Judo Athletes - a review and application of training.

rory_44 said:
ok, well I've got another question, because my theory might be full of shit.
For anyone that has done both judo and wrestling, how do they compare in terms of difficulty in a match, and intensity of training at the gym?

I've done both. 4 minutes into either felt sick. Training at the clubs were the same also, as far as intensity. Always felt that we didn't do enough throwing drills at wrestling but it was freestyle and I was judo.

Actually, I entered wrestling as a crosstrainer for judo. Of my coaches - 2 were World level in judo AND wrestling. Another was National 3rd in both as well. My best friend was fighting nats in freestyle the same time I was in judo. Same age, same weight. Fought it out plenty. No-gi.:)

Q-mystic, where do you train, and what are your coaches names?

rory_44 said:
Q-mystic, where do you train, and what are your coaches names?

PM me. Older now and just a rec going club 2 club. If you might try judo, there is a good club in Kitchener. Close to you.

Are you going to the Canadian Open in Nov? Hamilton. Went to watch last year and in -83kg advanced no-gi there was a group of 25. 1st place- A 46 year old judoka, going 6-0 to win the gold and the championship belt. Mind you, he was one of Canadas elite judoka. 46 :eek:

Whats your theory regarding comparison?

Mine is... you take 3 fit guys...#1 wrestles 100o/o...
#2 wrestles 80o/o and subs 20o/o...
#3 wrestles 30o/o and subs 70o/o...
...very generally,...and all push to submaximal levels of fitness. That is how I find their training.

When I watch judo it looks like judo, same with wrestling and bjj, and have been watching for a long time. But when I go to grappling tounys, quite often, I find it surprisingly difficult to determine styles.

Superbeast said:
Judo and Greco-Roman wrestling are almost interchangable, one with gi one with no gi, although both have some techniques not used in the other style. Freestyle wrestling is better for learning shoot in takedowns and armdrags. Study whatever you enoy the most.

having done some judo and some wrestling, wrestling involves alot more ground control and strength but judo leaves you hurting a lot more from the throws and some throws can be pulled off without much strength if your technique is good.

Greco and judo are very, very different....mostly because of the fact that in judo, you use the legs to help you make throws. Obviously, in Greco, any inclusion of the legs in a technique--save of the indirect sort--is barred.

Q mystic said:
PM me. Older now and just a rec going club 2 club. If you might try judo, there is a good club in Kitchener. Close to you.

Are you going to the Canadian Open in Nov? Hamilton. Went to watch last year and in -83kg advanced no-gi there was a group of 25. 1st place- A 46 year old judoka, going 6-0 to win the gold and the championship belt.
When I watch judo it looks like judo, same with wrestling and bjj, and have been watching for a long time. But when I go to grappling tounys, quite often, I find it surprisingly difficult to determine styles.

yeah, I'm going in no-gi division, I'm pretty excited about it. I've done some sambo and about a year of bjj, but I'm mostly just a wrestler.

my theory was as follows: from my personal experiecne I can tell the nature of wrestling is such that an extremly well conditioned athlete can be successful without a great deal of talent or technique. Judo on the other hand seems to rely much more heavily on technique than athleticism.
There was more to it than that initially

Back