Judo vs Tai-Chi Master (so fake)

They are showing a Chinese martial art against a Japanese martial art on Chinese television. Of course the Chinese martial art is going to come out looking superior. This is just nonsense propaganda.

They are showing a Chinese martial art against a Japanese martial art on Chinese television. Of course the Chinese martial art is going to come out looking superior. This is just nonsense propaganda.
Yeah it's all political man.

LOL would a powerlifter look like that? Would he be in a gym like that doing bicep curls?

Also no way is that guy 6'7" and 286 or whatever they list his weight as.

That's it, I'm dropping judo and starting Taiji right away.
You would be hard pressed to find full contact competitive Tai-Chi training and sparring in the US, and even if you did there are far more full-contact competitive Judo practitioners and tournaments so it's usefulness is overlooked as a grappling art.

LOL would a powerlifter look like that? Would he be in a gym like that doing bicep curls?

Also no way is that guy 6'7" and 286 or whatever they list his weight as.
LOL, maybe I've seen some funky looking powerlifters man. He looked to me like he was warming up with no sweat on him and looking very calm. An American powerlifter is a different game, but yeah it was a weak attempt to showcase Tai-Chi.

You would be hard pressed to find full contact competitive Tai-Chi training and sparring in the US, and even if you did there are far more full-contact competitive Judo practitioners and tournaments so it's usefulness is overlooked as a grappling art.

But why would I even need full contact anything if learning taiji will apparently give me such amazing balance and spacial awareness, that I would be able to easily fend off halfassed o soto gari from bigger, stronger, and younger martial artists?

But why would I even need full contact anything if learning taiji will apparently give me such amazing balance and spacial awareness, that I would be able to easily fend off halfassed o soto gari from bigger, stronger, and younger martial artists?
All your smart-assery aside, if you want to truly find out how effective it is you actually need to find a tai-chi fighter in your weight division and @ a similar experience level and have a match at full force, or at the very least study the science behind it and come up with an answer instead of just being a clown with a Judo tattoo on your forehead.

All your smart-assery aside, if you want to truly find out how effective it is you actually need to find a tai-chi fighter in your weight division and @ a similar experience level and have a match at full force, or at the very least study the science behind it and come up with an answer instead of just being a clown with a Judo tattoo on your forehead.
It's hard keeping the sarcasm from spewing forth when I see such blatant propaganda.

Also, there are no taijiquan fighters in my weight class, in my area, that would be feasible for me to spar against. The closest equivalent is sanshou, and I'd sooner fall back on my Thai boxing before trying to deal with strikes+grappling with pure judo. It might as well be an MMA match. Plus, I've seen plenty in these vids. Having a strong base to defend against throws is far easier than actually attempting throws yourself. You learn that quickly in any grappling art. It's not unique to taiji.

Edit: I just realized that you're the TS of this thread. You yourself called the first video fake, and have surely watched the others. Have you changed your own position?

Last edited:
No, I said the tiny old man who is being used to showcase tai-chi would get ruined IRL. The video is not a real fight, it's not even a real "match". He's way out of his weight class.

I recommend getting some videos or finding an instructor and trying the techniques while rolling. It really is a wicked system.

What do you mean? That Taiji guy did pretty well.

Yeah he did pretty well in the hand/grip fighting game. Obviously once on the floor he was gonna get grapple raped, but I don't think it was "too" embarrassing as far as the stand up went.

Yeah he did pretty well in the hand/grip fighting game. Obviously once on the floor he was gonna get grapple raped, but I don't think it was "too" embarrassing as far as the stand up went.

Im impressed that a 50 year old Chinese guy who practices Taijiquan was even willing to grapple/roll with a Luta Livre guy who was clearly younger.

Much hespekt.

One of my colleagues studies taichi. Being a nice guy, I constantly take the piss.

Her teacher is obviously a bit dodgy. He told her that taichi masters don't need to fight to know who's tougher. They shake hands and can tell the chi energy of their opponent. They shake hands and the opponent leaves knowing from the hand shake that they would of lost.

I don't think it would make for an entertaining kung fu movie.

Im impressed that a 50 year old Chinese guy who practices Taijiquan was even willing to grapple/roll with a Luta Livre guy who was clearly younger.

Much hespekt.

well, the level of insanity of these people believing in super powers is what you should be impressed by... you look at the video and the taiji man was still trying to grapple the LL dude on the ground, probably thinking, "ok I got this headlock tight"... Flavio was playing the other guy was there to prove something...I do think theres some valuable stuff to that could be learnt in taiji, grappling isnt one of them...

One of my colleagues studies taichi. Being a nice guy, I constantly take the piss.

Her teacher is obviously a bit dodgy. He told her that taichi masters don't need to fight to know who's tougher. They shake hands and can tell the chi energy of their opponent. They shake hands and the opponent leaves knowing from the hand shake that they would of lost.

havent you ever asked what does it matter if someone has a better "chi" than the other one? are taichi masters throwing chi balls at each other now?

Sounds like the finals of a major BJJ tournament.

Back