Judo & Turnovers & Chokes

PikeKing

White Belt
Reaction score
At my judo class we always spend time each session drilling turnovers from either turtle or laying prone, thing is, i dont want to turn anyone over I just want to jump on and go for a choke/strangle.

Is this wrong? It seems more emphasis is placed on the pin but in competition does it really matter?

In a judo competition you're going to have between 5 and 20 seconds (depending upon the referee) to sink your choke in and tap him. Most competitors are good enough defending against chokes from the turtle that you're going to hear mate long before you get any result.

What the turnover does is give the referee a sign that you're making progress ... a good ref will let you continue on the ground so long as you're advancing the position. And of course, there are a lot of locks and chokes that work well as part of the turnover - the two most common turnovers in olympic judo lead to either sankaku jime (triangle) or juji gatame (cross body lock). It's not a question of emphasizing the pin, but in showing progress on the ground.

I don't like the quick standups, and your coach might not either, but he'd be a bad coach if he didn't recognize the way matches are called and train you accordingly.

thanks for that George, i see your point about being seen to make progress

plus i just realised that everytime i get turnover in these drill i'm either getting arm barred or choked too

i have plenty of faith in my coach, i'm new to judo and still learning

i guess its because, ultimately, i've taken up judo from watching mma for years and in mma, if someone gives there back you try and choke them

Its good to have faith in your instructor but don't ever stop asking yourself if there is the better way of doing something!

It's important.

You drill it a lot because when it counts - you have to do it quickly and accurately without thinking.

After a while, chokes and armbars will be integrated into the turnover.

i guess its because, ultimately, i've taken up judo from watching mma for years and in mma, if someone gives there back you try and choke them

You're not gonna just learn all that cool Karo-throwing shit straight out.

You'll have to lear the whole judo bag, baby - but it's all good in the end. You might be learning more turnovers now - but later you might focus on other things.

There is benefit to turnovers beyond just learning to turn them over - you learn to control a body from twisted and moving positions without leaving gaps and keeping everything tight while looking for an exposed neck or loose arm. Helps improve your base & f#ck up theirs..

At my judo class we always spend time each session drilling turnovers from either turtle or laying prone, thing is, i dont want to turn anyone over I just want to jump on and go for a choke/strangle.

Is this wrong? It seems more emphasis is placed on the pin but in competition does it really matter?

Do not let your opponent turtle if you can help it. If he's going there, attempt to get a hold(wia leg/arm) or gi grip where you are going to have an easier time with a sub or a turn.

We all wanna go for the choke or strangle.

I think you will learn some scrambling if you attempt the pin, and get good work in doing so. Thats up to you tho.

learn ur damn turnovers and turnover defense. just as important as anything especially in judo tournaments.

turnovers increase your options and also your overall grappling awareness.

Train what you sensi is teaching you then do that stuff in randori duh ..

It's difficult to sunk a choke to a good grappler if your not facking a Lock or a turnover or something else.

attemping chokes open opportunity to go for locks and turnover, attemping locks open for chokes and turnovers and turnovers open for chokes and locks.

You have to learn an hairi kata (opportunity attack) that let you able to go from one to the other.

Sankaku jime is a perfect examples of an attack that can be finished as pin, choke or armlock.

I like working for a choke and trying ot get an arm out at the same time, ofetne they decide to defend one of them

example

your right arm is wokring to slip in the rnc or get a lapel,

your left arm is trying ot get the (left ) wristfor a straight armbar agaisnt your stomach/chest, if you get a grip on his wrist you cna use your knee pusing on your arm to get it out

Back