Judo throws and sweeps in BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by YeahBee, May 8, 2008.

1. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

Judo throws and sweeps in BJJ

Just thought it be interesting, in Gi BJJ which throws and sweeps are taught the most?

As with grading in judo you have to have quite a proficient grasp of plenty of throws and sweeps, even if they are kata-ish and archaic, with BJJ's mindset of spending most time on the ground and little in the takedown game what takedowns have you guys found most useable?

As I have never really done BJJ my uneducated guess would be

Osotogari

[​IMG]

Hiza Guruma
    [​IMG]

Kosoto GAri
    [​IMG]

HArai Goshi
    [​IMG]

Uchi Mata
    [​IMG]

Ippon Seonagi
    [​IMG]

SAcrifice throws
    Tomeo Nage
    http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/tomoenage.gif
    (plenty of versions of this and differnt names depending on where you palce your pushing foot)

A little bit of everything, do you stay away from those that might end up in the other dudes guard?

Is it mainly double and single legs?

2. Mohawk79

Mohawk79 Orange Belt

There are times when you have to keep in mind that you might land in someone's guard after a throw. You have to make slight adjustments depending on the situation, if it is a judo or JJ tournament, a real fight, mma, etc.

3. 350 lbs fist

350 lbs fist Black Belt

I personally use uchi matas, double legs and foot sweeps the most. I've started going for some sacrifice throws where you grip the belt. ( Don't know most names in Japanese though...:( )

However, sacrifice throws can be very perilous for the thrower in BJJ as many have a very low crouching stance and many also spazz in the standup and get all defensive. This makes it easy to miss the more technical throws and it makes you end up in bottom sidemount.

4. sunnycoastbjj

sunnycoastbjj Yellow Belt

Takedowns & Throws:
    Double and single legs mainly, with a few different ways to finish them and a few different way to defend and counter them. We do work a very small amount of judo throws (which always seem too be much more technical) but unforturnatly i don't know the names of them and its rare that we do them.

Sweeps
    We work alot of different sweeps but i really like the 'hip bump' of the kimura when people posture out/up, half and full butterfly sweeps and 2 open gaurd sweeps (tripod?). I'm not good with names!

5. NinjaKilla187

NinjaKilla187 Blue Belt

Tai Otoshi?

Hoping to enter my first BJJ tourny in the next few months and have mostly been working Osoto Gari, Tai Otoshi, and Seo. Would like to work in my Uchi Mata but it sort of sucks.

6. YeahBee

but if the sacrifice throw fails then you are half way to a guardpull, no?

7. YeahBee

Kinda redundant IMO for both Tao Otoshi and Ippon Seo

but are done in similar situations

I should have worked on another foot sweep instead

8. IChinaManI

IChinaManI Green Belt

He meant like footsweeps lol

9. NinjaKilla187

NinjaKilla187 Blue Belt

I've been working Ouchi Gari some to, mostly to combo with my Tai Otoshi and be able to attack to both sides.

10. YeahBee

^^^^ check the jud o thread I made a post about that combo jsut recently before this thread

attack/faint with tao otoshi, they step over you ouchigari or kouchigari them

11. georgejjr

georgejjr Black Belt

Interestingly enough, you'll very rarely see the classical form of osoto gari shown above in a judo competition ... to get an idea of a competition osoto gari, do a youtube search on Yamashita, you'll see how its done by arguably the best osoto gari player in history.

12. YeahBee

I mostly hit it from a combo, hipthrow or ippon seo entry givers you the oppurtunity to do it as devastating as that,

I don't watch much int judo do they realy hit it like Yamashita even now? you mean that long reaching kinda hoping thing with little chest/shoulder shrug?

13. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

with the hunched over jiu-jitsu stance and no-one throwing in combinations i have never seen a osoto gari in jiu-jitsu comp... the most common my guess would be.
    1. Double leg takedown
    2. Kosoto Gari
    3. Really bad looking uchi mata's with the thrower ending up face down with the other guy on his back

14. YeahBee

you did JJJ before BJJ IIRC codemonkey

any throws you kept?

15. georgejjr

georgejjr Black Belt

Yup, that's the osoto you'll get if you watch international level judo, or even national level. There's almost no way to get into position for the traditional osoto, by the time you step forward your opponent has either moved back, or countered with something like o-ouchi or ko-uchi gari on your forward foot. The traditional osoto gari is great against people who've never grappled, but not useful against someone who's experienced. You see it alot when beginners fight, and then never again.

One point: the reaching osoto gari (some actually say its really more of an osoto otoshi, though I think naming becomes pretty arbitrary at that point) is mainly used cross grip ... ie when left handers fight right handers. It doesn't work as well against right-right or left-left gripers. Same thing is true for tai-otoshi btw.

16. Throatpoker

Throatpoker Black Belt

I was taught the Osotogari last week, and I gotta say that it's extremely fun to do. My instructor focuses on no-gi throws, even during our gi days, but the 'Gari just clicked for me.

17. Q mystic

Q mystic Silver Belt

I wanna see a bjjer that has well rounded nice throws that didn't do official judo.

Like Thales Leites?

There is a system that judo should offer that makes you a base out fighter for throws.

18. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Did Saulo and Xande do Judo?

I know Jacare did, and I thoguth the 2 brothers did, but I'm not sure...

Anyone know?

19. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Shinya Aoki nails Osoto often in Gi and No-Gi. And he actually does it fairly textbook. He's one of the only guys that I've seen do Osoto consistently without the gi. He even did a huge one in ADCC 2005.

20. IChinaManI

IChinaManI Green Belt

The over shoulder grip+uchi mata will launch guys in that stance man.