Judo - still the only Grappling style that works against multiple attackers

BTW, for whatever it is worth, there is a story that a young Funaki and Suzuki got into a fight with a group of Yakuza and Funaki ended things by breaking a guy's arm with a swiftly executed armbar. Grappling certainly seemed to take out multiple attackers in that case.

If you really know what you are doing and are fast in your execution, I don't see that multiple attackers pose some impossible obstacle to a grappler. A guy bearhugs you from behind, you break his shoulder and arm with a rolling Kimura executed with intent to injure, that doesn't take long and the guy might even be KO'd by his inability to fall properly.

BTW, for whatever it is worth, there is a story that a young Funaki and Suzuki got into a fight with a group of Yakuza and Funaki ended things by breaking a guy's arm with a swiftly executed armbar. Grappling certainly seemed to take out multiple attackers in that case.

If you really know what you are doing and are fast in your execution, I don't see that multiple attackers pose some impossible obstacle to a grappler. A guy bearhugs you from behind, you break his shoulder and arm with a rolling Kimura executed with intent to injure, that doesn't take long and the guy might even be KO'd by his inability to fall properly.

While true, most grapplers lack this instinct and mind set. Funaki also is a fighter not a pure grappler, and a pioneer of his time. Naturally he will be a savage.

Amazing this simple fact is overlooked by almost everyone.
Shows how some of the over emphasis in mma rules leads to idiocy when considering grappling in real life or self defence.

And I dont care if 'our BJJ club does some Judo throws' etc. I mean the core style.

So wrestler are conditioned to go to the ground and pin.
Most BJJers are usually conditioned start on tne ground and roll (lol) or the few that train takedowns, to pull guard or do some singe leg to allow a good ground position.

Judo is the only style that creates habits and emphasizes an Ippon by throwing or sweeping the opponent onto the ground and remaining standing yourself.

A possible disadvantage in sport mma, and an absolute advantage on hard surfaces (to keep your knees) and against multiple opponents with the ingrained habit of remaining standing.

Judo vs multiple attackers basic formula:

Foot sweep/Throw - then soccer kick/stomp; move, rinse, repeat

Add some open palm strikes as needed

The more I appreciate Kodokan Judo the more awesome I realise it is. And not to memtion Kano's newaza syllabus spawned basically 3 new arts and a new sport by mistake in BJJ, Sambo and folkstyle amateur wrestling + submissions to MMA.

Judo is the ultimate fountainhead of modern MMA and is still more effective for real life grappling situations

Praise to Kano and the Yamato-damashii Way
View attachment 722037

I have the same thoughts

TS needs to stop watching you tube videos and actually go train Judo.
While Judo is really good for its tachiwaza (sparring for takedown).
There is a major problem which is ingrained due to their sport rules.
The judoka would just go flat as a pancake when he fails a takedow or when he refuses to continue in newaza.
That habit could get you in serious problem in a street fight.
Which stupid will do this in fighting? Even Rickson said he wouldn't go to the ground if he was engaging in any street figth.

Back