Judo - still the only Grappling style that works against multiple attackers

I want you to think of how hard it is to ko someone with a punch, let alone multiple people whilst moving/they are moving. Now try da'ashi for a ko....ffs lol

I just know that thread with a title like that it's going to turn into a shitshow cause of triggered BJJ snowflakes who aren't in their padded safe space.

"Triggered BJJ snowflakes who aren't in their padded safe space."

Epic quote, Lol lol so true. They get triggered big time the fear is tangible so they get majorly defensive. Lets just toast to the relevance of Judo outside of the 'padded safety zone'.<45>

<GinJuice>

What belt are you in Judo and how long ago was that?

It was quite a while ago. 6-7 years experience and I was preparing for brown at the time.
Since then however I have kept in touch with grappling and have sparred blackbelts as well as incorporated other elements so I know my game has come along since then.
Pretty sure I could get a blackbelt in about 18 months if trained most days it just depends on committments and if more Judo is the right art at this point to expand my skillset

I want you to think of how hard it is to ko someone with a punch, let alone multiple people whilst moving/they are moving. Now try da'ashi for a ko....ffs lol

Yes it can be hard to KO someone depends who and on their aibilities. Especially against more than one guy. So what happens if you get tied up by one guy and cant punch while the others are coming at you? If u only have boxing or striking you are fucked. If you can sweep/throw you can free yourself and hurt or finish them. Your odds against multiples dramatically increase if you have Judo.

Let's be honest, what is your success rate for footsweeps in Judo? And after that, what percentage of your footsweeps result in knockout power? If it's anything over 50% I'd say you are like 4th or 5th dan level. Never assume it'll be easier on someone untrained.

So yeah, after 20 years I will still choose an osoto gari over a footsweep. Not even in the same ballpark, when I can choose a technique that will give me almost a sure thing with a high knockout rate.

I get the point, sometimes footsweeps are there and you don't have many other options. But it isn't the selling point of Judo for multiple attackers, IMO.

Well I was including Osoto gari as a kind of foot sweep as it translates as a leg reaping technique. Yes it is the Judo KO move par excellance.
For standard footsweeps as I mentioned it is about being prepared. If you get clinched you need to throw or footsweep immediately.
The selling point of Judo vs multiple attackers is the range of options it gives you in different situations you might get into as well as complementing any striking you do.
To be prepared against multiples it is a must to have some of these skills.

Last edited:
"Triggered BJJ snowflakes who aren't in their padded safe space."

Epic quote, Lol lol so true. They get triggered big time the fear is tangible so they get majorly defensive. Lets just toast to the relevance of Judo outside of the 'padded safety zone'.<45>

<GinJuice>

It was quite a while ago. I was preparing for brown at the time.
Since then however I have kept in touch with grappling and have sparred blackbelts as well as incorporated other elements so I know my game has come along since then.
Pretty sure I could get a blackbelt in about 18 months if trained most days it just depends on committments and if more Judo is the right art at this point to expand my skillset

Yes it can be hard to KO someone depends who and on their aibilities. Especially against more than one guy. So what happens if you get tied up by one guy and cant punch while the others are coming at you? If u only have boxing or striking you are fucked. If you can sweep/throw you can free yourself and hurt or finish them. Your odds against multiples dramatically increase if you have Judo.

Well I was including Osoto gari as a kind of foot sweep as it translates as a leg reaping technique. Yes it is the Judo KO move par excellance.
For standard footsweeps as I mentioned it is about being prepared. If you get clinched you need to throw or footsweep immediately.
The selling point of Judo vs multiple attackers is the range of options it gives you in different situations you might get into as well as complementing any striking you do.
To be prepared against multiples it is a must to have some of these skills.

you sound like the most epitome of a larper, theorizing múltiple opponents lmfao...

you sound like the most epitome of a larper, theorizing múltiple opponents lmfao...

No, you sound like the epitome of butthurt snowflake who deepthroated the Gracies so bad you cant even talk now without their bs coming out of your ass.

You spend your whole life rolling 1 vs 1 in a padded environment and think you can talk about real fighting?
Who is the larper tell me.

If you cant see how osoto gari and numerous footsweeps or throws could be beneficial especially to aid striking vs multiple attackers your an absolute moron or more likely as I said, so used to deepthroating the Gracies that common sense is no longer available to you.

Says the guy with 1 year of grappling lol... try throwing someone when 2 guys are swinging at you
So...sambo, freestyle wrestling, shuai jiao, sumo and all the other tons and tons of grappling styles don't work even though their practitioners also become masters at throwing people and often use the same techniques as judoka, even if under different names?
funny how a guy like you whos a complete beginner thinks he can tell actual black belts here anything about grappling if thats not narcism idk what is
This. Im a judo bluebbelt, wrestled in hs and bjj blue, do mt,...we have done mock scenarios for self defense where its on vs one or a free for all, it doesnt work out with multiple attackers. True irl they likely arent trained, but a heavy punch to your temple or back of your head, kick to the nads or back while others might jump in will fuck your shit up.

What if the guy you throw hangs on, is decently tough and still active? Even in a 2 on 1 scenario OP, you are most likely fudged if you cant distance manage or throw strikes, let alone 3 or 4. Grappling multi opponents is asking to be fed by straws for a month.

This is the same guy who got laughed off F12 years ago for saying the guard is useless, because you can just grab someone’s balls:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...idiculous-for-self-defence-grappling.1557869/

Then, Draculino, made a video about this clown:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/video-draculino-vs-ball-grabbers.1560623/

He’s got an agenda against BJJ. He’s still salty about being made to look like the fool that he is.

This is the same guy who got laughed off F12 years ago for saying the guard is useless, because you can just grab someone’s balls:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...idiculous-for-self-defence-grappling.1557869/

He’s got an agenda against BJJ. He’s still salty about being made to look like the fool that he is.

He's half right though. The delusional narcissism of the BJJ community doesn't match the performance. He's trolling a bit, but it's a good art with a marketing campaign promoting it as the one true art.

When did this turn into being about BJJ? Why is it BJJ guys are so salty about Judo having applications against multiple people?

Re: the old guard thread and dracs response.

Yes there are situations where you may end up in guard so cannot always be avoided...but grappling positions in general not just guard but scrambles etc do leave openings for dangerous strikes or grab to vulnerable targets. The threat is legit and drac did not deny it but emphasized need for wrist control.

The debate was pretty good and a decent video response was made.

In self defence situatuations if on your back you want to scramble and sweep immediately not stay in guard in case a bystander kicks you in the head. Multiple opponents its obvious if you end up on the ground top or bottom u have to try to get up immediately.

Lets see what catch wrestling legend Billy Robinson had to say on the issue which is remarkably similar in alot of ways to my view:

Billy Robinson said:
"I’ve been screaming in America about learning how to stand up. You don’t want to fight underneath, get into the Gracie guard situation, which to me is totally ridiculous for fighting and for a catch man."

https://m.sherdog.com/news/articles/Sherdog-Rewind-An-Interview-with-Billy-Robinson-66305

Funny how he also described the guard as 'ridiculous' (altho I accept there are a few aplications from there but you are vulnerable and best option is to try to get out immediately or shift position if you can, not stay and try and work from there)

Seems not every legit elite grappler is so enamoured of the guard...

Last edited:
IMO Judo technique can be useful but also boxing. Personally when it comes to multiple attackers I believe decisiveness and violence of action is your best friend.

Agreed, it was a good thread, and for what it's worth I do think that some martial arts are better at surviving multiple attackers than others (particularly boxing and Judo)...however I think it needs to be pointed out how dangerous it is to have confidence in fighting multiple opponents. You should never have any degree of confidence in your ability to safely defend yourself against multiple opponents, and if you trick yourself into believing that you can confidently and safely defend yourself in that situation, that is the very definition of Bullshido - believing your art will work when it doesn't.

Even the very best fighters in the world stand a very real chance of getting seriously injured when facing multiple random aggressors. To be confident in your ability to face multiple attackers is pure idiocy - you are in a fight for survival when attacked by multiple people and your main goal is escape. I actually thing the best "martial art" is just situational awareness, aggression, and physical size/strength in that situation.

giphy.gif

drac took the time t make a vid about a nobody? wow

why not use wreslting for self defense it would be better than judo faster safer dont have to turn your back snatch a leg and high crotch lift them and slam or tree top and kick their leg out as a a warning t fuck off if they try to get back up do something nastier

this.. iv been boxing with good pro boxers since i was 12 and even as a boxer its hard to knock someone out no gloves and cardio issues and plus trying to do it to multiple people when not being a boxer lol good luck

not saying you cant knock someone out but its funny how easy people think it is to just knock random people out unless they are a good pro striker if the guys not a pussy its much harder to do than you think reliably

When did this turn into being about BJJ? Why is it BJJ guys are so salty about Judo having applications against multiple people?

Re: the old guard thread and dracs response.

Yes there are situations where you may end up in guard so cannot always be avoided...but grappling positions in general not just guard but scrambles etc do leave openings for dangerous strikes or grab to vulnerable targets. The threat is legit and drac did not deny it but emphasized need for wrist control.

In self defence situatuations if on your back you want to scramble and sweep immediately not stay in guard in case a bystander kicks you in the head. Multiple opponents its obvious if you end up on the ground top or bottom u have to try to get up immediately.

Lets see what catch wrestling legend Billy Robinson had to say on the issue which is remarkably similar in alot of ways to my view:

https://m.sherdog.com/news/articles/Sherdog-Rewind-An-Interview-with-Billy-Robinson-66305

Funny how he also described the guard as 'ridiculous' (altho I accept there are a few aplications from there but you are vulnerable and best option is to try to get out immediately or shift position if you can, not stay and try and work from there)

Seems not every legit elite grappler is so enamoured of the guard...

I wonder how many mma champs has catch produced? How many mma champs have bjj produce? Once again, stfu troll

Pretty much.

The biggest concern is the way he just makes fun of the Gracies.

The Gracies went out there and prove their style.

I mean that they are not perfect but at least they did something and proved that it work or not.

I doubt that debating that Judo is more suitable for multi attackers gonna do much apart making fantasy assumptions

I wonder how many mma champs has catch produced? How many mma champs have bjj produce? Once again, stfu troll
Yeah. Waiting on all the judokas that paved the way in MMA or vale tudo.

I wonder how many mma champs has catch produced?

Tons, of course. And essentially all the champs from the late 80's to early 90's except Royce Gracie. The idea that catch-wrestlers hate the guard is obviously mostly hyperbole anyway and most of the legendary figures with catch backgrounds or backgrounds that heavily involved catch incorporated guard work to some extent. In fact, a lot of their legwork and entries would be called guard work by some. Simply watching old-school professional wrestling or scholastic wrestling in its early years you will see plenty of action that could be characterized as guard work.

The anti-guard thing is more from the people marketing catch-wrestling such as Cecchine, Jake Shannon, etc. and whole "revivalist" movement in catch that wants to ignore history and reinvent it as they think it was decades upon decades ago. The actual competitors were almost always using what can be characterized as the guard in one way or another.

Last edited:
Tons, of course. And essentially all the champs from the late 80's to early 90's except Royce Gracie. The idea that catch-wrestlers hate the guard is obviously mostly hyperbole anyway and most of the legendary figures with catch backgrounds or backgrounds that heavily involved catch incorporated guard work to some extent. In fact, a lot of their legwork and entries would be called guard work by some. Simply watching old-school professional wrestling or scholastic wrestling in its early years you will see plenty of action that could be characterized as guard work.

The anti-guard thing is more from the people marketing catch-wrestling such as Cecchine, Jake Shannon, etc. and whole "revivalist" movement in catch that wants to ignore history and reinvent it as they think it was decades upon decades ago. The actual competitors were almost always using what can be characterized as the guard in one way or another.

Wonder who you are talking about the 80s 90s, shootwrestling? Saku and Josh were the only successful catch wrestlers from the late 90s 2000s i can think of to have success, Not to take a shot at Japanese catch, which I deeeply respect, hell I wish there were more daisukes nakamuras over claide guidas, but to be honest, catch hasn’t produced a lot champs...

Wonder who you are talking about the 80s 90s, shootwrestling? Saku and Josh were the only successful catch wrestlers from the late 90s 2000s i can think of to have success, Not to take a shot at Japanese catch, which I deeeply respect, hell I wish there were more daisukes nakamuras over claide guidas, but to be honest, catch hasn’t produced a lot champs...

In the early days of modern MMA, all the champions of Shooto and Pancrase were catch guys. I don't really have to name anyone, because it was basically everybody but Enson Inoue, who still probably had some training that way. Between Shooto, Pancrase and the UFC, the UFC had Royce and everyone else had a catch-wrestling background. During the huge Pride 160-pound GP and the simultaneous Hero's 155-pound GP, all of the finalists were from Kiguchi Dojo (Sudo, Sakurai, Yamamoto, Gomi). Kid Yamamoto, I'm guessing, had more of a purely amateur wrestling connection to Noriaki Kiguchi rather than the other three, especially based on his style, but still its a powerful statement to have 4 people who consider themselves your students in the finals of Japan and at the time, the world's, two biggest lighter weight MMA tournament.

At a certain point in the early to mid-90's BJJ started to take over, undeniably. But when the Gracies came to Japan in the first three Vale Tudo events, it was as invaders. No doubt after that opened up the floodgates to BJJ coming and they were immensely successful. And of course, MMA spread like wildfire in the Western hemisphere and basically everything changed. Still, even after that you still saw champions with a catch background in ZST, DEEP, Shooto, Pancrase and memorably in Sengoku, with Kitaoka, however briefly.

As much gold as BJJ went onto accumulate? No, but they've had their share.

Anyway, this is a side trek and obviously your point, that BJJ has more than proven the value of guard work, is obviously true.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back