Judo - still the only Grappling style that works against multiple attackers

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by TheMaster, Feb 3, 2020.

1. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality

Amazing this simple fact is overlooked by almost everyone.
    Shows how some of the over emphasis in mma rules leads to idiocy when considering grappling in real life or self defence.

And I dont care if 'our BJJ club does some Judo throws' etc. I mean the core style.

So wrestler are conditioned to go to the ground and pin.
    Most BJJers are usually conditioned start on tne ground and roll (lol) or the few that train takedowns, to pull guard or do some singe leg to allow a good ground position.

Judo is the only style that creates habits and emphasizes an Ippon by throwing or sweeping the opponent onto the ground and remaining standing yourself.

A possible disadvantage in sport mma, and an absolute advantage on hard surfaces (to keep your knees) and against multiple opponents with the ingrained habit of remaining standing.

Judo vs multiple attackers basic formula:

Foot sweep/Throw - then soccer kick/stomp; move, rinse, repeat

Add some open palm strikes as needed

The more I appreciate Kodokan Judo the more awesome I realise it is. And not to memtion Kano's newaza syllabus spawned basically 3 new arts and a new sport by mistake in BJJ, Sambo and folkstyle amateur wrestling + submissions to MMA.

Judo is the ultimate fountainhead of modern MMA and is still more effective for real life grappling situations

Praise to Kano and the Yamato-damashii Way
    Kodokan_Jigoro_Kano_Statue.jpg

2. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

Says the guy with 1 year of grappling lol... try throwing someone when 2 guys are swinging at you

3. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality

Many years of Judo and more grappling since then, but now in the context of fighting with strikes not just rolling around doing 'brazilian yoga' lol.

Yes, it is very possible to throw or sweep a guy with two or more people swinging at you.

But I guess you wouldnt know that since you start every 'match' on your ass or with a guy between your legs....

4. meauneau Brown Belt

The assumption here is that you will be able to get your grips. What if you are at a nightclub and everyone is wearing tight shirts/tshirts and you have to fight 3 guys? Judo doesn't teach you to close distance when strikes are involved. Any grappling from Judo and Sambo to BJJ and Wrestling is better than nothing.

5. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

Many years as 2? Right... it is possible, anything is possible, not very likely...

6. biscuitsbrah Red Belt

I’ve never seen a video of a judoka taking out multiple attackers lmao

7. meauneau Brown Belt

They call it Aikido.

8. biscuitsbrah Red Belt

Haha. But I have seen 2-3 people get doubled and slammed by one guy back to back to back.
    They weren’t injured or rendered unconscious though

9. QingTian Brown Belt

Only problem is that Judo is high risk high reward, so it takes a long while before it's clearly your best option. Also let's not forget you don't have to shoot for the legs in wrestling....that's more a high school American wrestling thing.

10. CFGroup Purple Belt

Who let the trolls out, who let the trolls out.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To post so many nonsense threads in 24hrs?

11. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality

Wow, someone on here since 2013 and doesnt understand what 'trolling' is:
    This is grappling forum
    Award:
    250px-Dennydimwit.jpg

Actually not true.
    Another common misperception, you do not need good grips or clothing to do alot of Judo techniques.

Simple breaking of balance with a push/pull on arm or body will enable a footsweep. In fact if their not trained and off balance/ coming forward a footsweep alone will probably work without arm contact.

For throws, plenty work with body or head control I dont know why people get obsesed with the gi.

12. meauneau Brown Belt

I agree with this. You can use Greco grips and all that. The point is getting through the punches. Also, the follow up after the throw and what if they pull you down or get pushed down?

13. EGDM Green Belt

I'm a reformed third dan in aikido in addition to BJJ brown. Quite honestly, Aikido randori practice is about the only thing I know that would be useful in a multiple attacker scenario. Am I going to beat them all up? No. Do I have a few things burned in my muscle memory about getting off the line of attack and disengaging from a clinch? Yes. Slip, move, GTFO.

Is that still only marginally useful? Yes. Don't get in 1 v More fights, kids.

14. meauneau Brown Belt

This is why you've got to learn boxing if you are care about self defense. The same movements you use to get out of the line is used in boxing but countering at the same time.

15. EGDM Green Belt

I don't think that's quite true. Boxing footwork is clearly not designed around multiple opponents trying to clinch with you. Many-on-one fights are just a clusterfuck no matter how you cut it. Just watch some of those Russian team MMA matches. Nothing works. When I said the aikido randori practice would help, that's in the "barely measurable" sense. The best tactic is situational awareness and/or track shoes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  16. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

this is so true, you can really see from those fights that N1 in brawls, size matters the most as well as numbers. 2. Fast and powerful hands> footwork. Period your not going to be dancing around using footwork to avoid multiple opponents, there are plenty videos of guys punching the living shit out of.multiple opponents, but normally they are the agressors and go 1 by 1 through his oppoents... except that sayaying
    Dude that fucked up like 10 Turks, that was goku hanging around earth

17. EGDM Green Belt

Also, their opponents are invariably drunk and/or completely inept. I'm not worried about multiple attackers who are grossly incompetent. It's just that much easier for me to GTFO.

18. Normot Brown Belt

Judo is the ultimate middle school tool. In middle school I could throw multiple attackers. Judo gave me some highlight movie like bully defense moments. As an adult I don't think I would have the same success against multiple adults. Adult fights are too serious, someone would smash your head in with a rock.

19. lechien Gold Belt

TS needs to stop watching you tube videos and actually go train Judo.
    While Judo is really good for its tachiwaza (sparring for takedown).
    There is a major problem which is ingrained due to their sport rules.
    The judoka would just go flat as a pancake when he fails a takedow or when he refuses to continue in newaza.
    That habit could get you in serious problem in a street fight.

20. Foxflechette57 Blue Belt

All grappling sports are great,
    If only we had more time in our days