Judo schools competing in BJJ

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
Hi all,
I moved to a city where I'm concentrating on judo as my main sport.
I would like to eventually convince my new dojo to take part in BJJ competitions "as an extra", on top of judo competitions.

How does this usually go in your experience ? I feel that judo teams usually aren't so keen on the idea, and that it's relatively rare, and I think it's really too bad.

It's a pretty small team with a very decent green and a couple of browns, which I guess could do ok until blue category in BJJ comps.

Thoughts ? Experience ? Advice ?

Txs.

Unfortunately, it is rare that a judo school would blend with BJJ here in America. I don't know any club who does both competitions in the Chicago area other than my club. You might consider just to cross train in different schools. Good luck.

Hi all,
I moved to a city where I'm concentrating on judo as my main sport.
I would like to eventually convince my new dojo to take part in BJJ competitions "as an extra", on top of judo competitions.

How does this usually go in your experience ? I feel that judo teams usually aren't so keen on the idea, and that it's relatively rare, and I think it's really too bad.

It's a pretty small team with a very decent green and a couple of browns, which I guess could do ok until blue category in BJJ comps.

Thoughts ? Experience ? Advice ?

Txs.

.....Sorry,

i guess it depends on the school if its fairly sport oriented then most would be fairly open to competing in bjj,however the judo traditionalists seem to not like having much to do with other sports/arts.

we have 2 adult classes that run at our school ours wich is competition focused and another more traditional class where they do kata and train a hundred different throws each night no conditioning,little randori.

our coach ran a submission grappling tournament earlier in the year inviting teams from bjj,mma,and judo academies.
we got an invitation from a wrestling club to compete in a fila grappling tournament so our coach ut the flyer on the notice board.

some people from the other class were complaining about it being up beause its "nothing to do with judo"

I just can't understand anyone turning their nose up at a chance to be exposed to new challenges and become better. Who care's if you end up losing, it'll just point out the holes in your game.

I don't formally take BJJ but host an "Open Mat" session on the weekends where I roll and randori with some great technical BJJ guys. We both learn and are happy about it. It's my belief that that's exactly what Kano Sensei would want me to do

i guess it depends on the school if its fairly sport oriented then most would be fairly open to competing in bjj,however the judo traditionalists seem to not like having much to do with other sports/arts.

we have 2 adult classes that run at our school ours wich is competition focused and another more traditional class where they do kata and train a hundred different throws each night no conditioning,little randori.

our coach ran a submission grappling tournament earlier in the year inviting teams from bjj,mma,and judo academies.
we got an invitation from a wrestling club to compete in a fila grappling tournament so our coach ut the flyer on the notice board.

some people from the other class were complaining about it being up beause its "nothing to do with judo"

I think it's unfortunate that "traditionalists" don't want to blend with other arts, and I totally see what you mean.

I believe that it's beneficial for any type of grappling to get exposure to other types of grappling.

You are lucky to have an open-minded coach. People at my new dojo seem pretty open. For example, they invited a BJJ BB for a seminar soon.

I guess it's possible that they will be interested by the idea.

So how did the preparation go for the grappling tourney you mentioned ? Did you guys just add a couple of classes per week without the gi with some kind of submission only emphasis ?

I don't see why you would not want to, it only expands your experience.

Not to mention, a judoka has a better chance in a beginners division of BJJ, Than a BJJ'er has in a beginner's Judo division IMO, especially when limited on newaza time.

Tampa is a hot bed for BJJ and I have been told by a few sources that a Judo club now and again competes at there events and makes a good account of themselves when they do. Of course this club APPEARS to have some time dedicated to just "KOSEN JUDO/JIU JITSU" and I know at least one brown belt in BJJ that cross trains in Judo there.

Mambi Judo - Judo

Out of curiosity, it is frown upon for Judokas to "fight"/compete outside Judo competition by their peers?
Is it because Kano's point of view on Judo?

Out of curiosity, it is frown upon for Judokas to "fight"/compete outside Judo competition by their peers?
Is it because Kano's point of view on Judo?

All the judoka I have spoken with encourage cross training and even training at other Judo schools to see a different "style" of Judo.

I goofed around at a Judo club for a bit and there were state champ wrestlers, guys cross training in BJJ/MMA under a BJJ BB and guys dropping in from other clubs.

Unfortunately, it is rare that a judo school would blend with BJJ here in America. I don't know any club who does both competitions in the Chicago area other than my club.

Cahill's in the bay area does as well.

Tampa is a hot bed for BJJ and I have been told by a few sources that a Judo club now and again competes at there events and makes a good account of themselves when they do. Of course this club APPEARS to have some time dedicated to just "KOSEN JUDO/JIU JITSU" and I know at least one brown belt in BJJ that cross trains in Judo there.

Mambi Judo - Judo

And here I am stuck in Gainesville, no Judo sensei and the highest ranked BJJ guy I know of in town is a purple belt. Too far away to regularly come in to train yet so close that it burns me up with frustration.

And here I am stuck in Gainesville, no Judo sensei and the highest ranked BJJ guy I know of in town is a purple belt. Too far away to regularly come in to train yet so close that it burns me up with frustration.

Club Name: University of Florida Judo Club

Address:
P.O. Box 112760
Gainesville, FL 32611
Phone: -

Head Instructor -
Point Of Contact Carlos F. Miranda
Home: 352-262-0915 Fax: -
Work: - Mobile: -
Email: [email protected]
Club Homepage:

Chikarakogeki Karate & Judo Kai
516 NE 2nd Ave
Gainesville, FL 32601
352-222-0161

Club Name: University of Florida Judo Club

Address:
P.O. Box 112760
Gainesville, FL 32611
Phone: -

Head Instructor -
Point Of Contact Carlos F. Miranda
Home: 352-262-0915 Fax: -
Work: - Mobile: -
Email: [email protected]
Club Homepage:

Great club, great folks. I know and have trained with the student president several times. TI's a student only organization, unfortunately for adult me. Although the pres. recently did say he might be able to get me in as a "guest instructor". I am good at teaching the lower belts...

Chikarakogeki Karate & Judo Kai
516 NE 2nd Ave
Gainesville, FL 32601
352-222-0161

That's me. One Sankyu and one Nikyu left trying to keep the club alive and fill the whole left by a 7th dan sensei who moved to Georgia in March. This doesn't leave me with a lot of time to work on my own technique, just 2 hours twice a month at an "Open Mat" session I host, and then it's with some BJJ guys and the other brown belt.

My thread on Judoforum on the situation

Great club, great folks. I know and have trained with the student president several times. TI's a student only organization, unfortunately for adult me. Although the pres. recently did say he might be able to get me in as a "guest instructor". I am good at teaching the lower belts...

That's me. One Sankyu and one Nikyu left trying to keep the club alive and fill the whole left by a 7th dan sensei who moved to Georgia in March. This doesn't leave me with a lot of time to work on my own technique, just 2 hours twice a month at an "Open Mat" session I host, and then it's with some BJJ guys and the other brown belt.

My thread on Judoforum on the situation

Man that sucks! There has to be a market for that!

I know you dont get to learn as much as you'd like but teaching has it's merits and you can learn alot from it. Perhaps it is time to try to expand the class and do some guerrilla marketing!

There are alot of talented kids wrestling in your area and after HS many of them stay local and find jobs others may just continue school there and look for an outlet like Judo.

Back