Judo ranks

cool read.

Rickson's part made me laugh a bit, makes sense he'd feel a bit shy walking into a Judo club. Does this mean he would've been a white belt? :)

j/k

I don't think anyone here is wearing blinders, but there definitely is a misunderstanding of each others abilities for those who don't cross train.

Well, actually Rickson learned Judo from Medhi who was also an old student of the Gracies.

Medhi is reknown for his remarks against the Gracies as well.

Ehh, my judo sensei subbed a 4 stripe blue when he visited. Probably easily choke other blues as well. He never trained BJJ and his ground is decent, he's good at what he does. His ground has gotten a lot better ever since I started training with him 2 years ago, when he watches me roll it motivates him to get better too. Some days he'll just play open guard and he'll sweep everyone with ease.

Another thing I found funny is one of his favorite techniques is what I called a reverse scissor sweep, i've never seen anyone do it 2 years ago. Then this month someone posted a video on here called "reverse scissor sweep" and everyone wowed as if it was something new. So comparing a judo black to a white/blue is ignorant, guys like Komuro and Canto sub BJJ blacks on regular basis. I take what I can from both arts, and some things you'll find in Judo not regularly seen in BJJ. You never know, one day you may be tapping to a judo black belt! :D

I thought Canto was a Judo and BJJ BB.

Now who is Komuro?

i dont know about judo guys sucking at bjj.

all the black belt judo dudes who start bjj as a white belt destroy whites and give high level blues tough problems just by having better base ,good top game, and a basic fundamental idea of grappling. and they develop really fast.

I thought Canto was a Judo and BJJ BB.

Now who is Komuro?

Canto is a Judo BB that never graded/trained in BJJ formally. He was subbing BJJ BB's and given a BJJ BB.

Same with Komuro. They are Judokas with a talent for Judo newaza.

Canto is a Judo BB that never graded/trained in BJJ formally. He was subbing BJJ BB's and given a BJJ BB.

Same with Komuro. They are Judokas with a talent for Judo newaza.

I'm pretty sure canto had been formally graded to blue and purple when younger. He trains a lot with Alliance in Brazil iirc.

Komuro is Koji Komuro akak "Komlock" (komlock is his signature hiza gatame submission iirc). I'm pretty sure he is a bjj black belt, he fought aoki in the japanese bjj championships back in 2004 (the one where aoki flying armbars him). He was a decent judoka back in the day: Koji Komuro - JudoInside.com

He has fought bibiano fernandes and others as well. I think he did the Budo challenge, maybe fought leozinho as well?

YouTube - Koji Komuro vs Bibiano Fernandes

YouTube - Koji Komuro vs Shinya Aoki

Komuro was givin a honorary BB for the same reason Canto was. Canto doesn't really cross train, but I believe one of his instructors is a BJJ BB.

I'm confused, given you are (according to your sig) a BJJ blue belt, why are you only a judo green belt (according to your sig) and not a judo brown belt?

Because they are different arts with different ranking systems. I don't have the points to get my brown yet. That should change as I am training for competition again, but it been a while.

In what regards? Explain even a little bit...

I've never played with a single BJJ guy that WASN"T a black belt that had NEAR the take down prowess of a Judoka.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/43316723-post29.html

I don't know why this thread turned into a BJJ vs. Judo thread. I think some people were saying a black belt in Judo takes about as long as it does to get a Purple in BJJ. But, they are really comparable as the belts signify very things in the different communities.

But I have seen some Judoka with good ground work and I have seen some BJJ guys with good throws. But, someones belt in Judo will tell you nothing about there ground game as someones belt in BJJ will not tell you much about there tachi-waza. Which one you train should entirely be dependent on which percentage of time you want to spend working on groundwork or throws. It's pretty simple.

Well, actually Rickson learned Judo from Medhi who was also an old student of the Gracies.

It says that in the report I posted and, that is what Auspex was talking about.

Medhi started training with the Gracies and didn't like what he saw so he opened up his own school in Brazil. The Gracies did a lot of challenge matches back in the day but never at Mehdi's dojo. They trained there. Look even the all mighty Rickson trained there. Someone of his caliber new in order to be the best he needed to be well rounded.

Train hard, stay safe.

Back