Judo ranks

How fast can one get to the black belt level?
It took me 10 years. I could have made it in 7. I just didn't care for the belt, my thing was to be the highest on the podium and the black belts under me. My friends who had started with me and were already black belts pushed me to test for the black belt because I was making them look bad! :0) I loved my brown belt! t had a lot of character!

7th dan is a pretty serious rank! That usually entails some work with national clubs and such doesn't it?

I mean, 7th dan is usually almost a political rank, isn't it?

Depends on the Organization and your tournament record. For example the USJA goes by points giving 1/10 of a point for a class vs. 1 or more points for doing a tournament (more for winning). That is why due to my BJJ background I run the Ne-Waza class at my Judo school, but due to the fact it has been 5 years since I did a tournament, I am only a Green Belt in Judo.

http://usja-judo.org/Docs2004/National Judo Rank System.pdf

It took me about 4 years of training seriously, although i had been training for another 6 before that. The first six years was mainly in kids classes, only once per week and never entered competitions or did randori, then i moved and joined a strong club were i started to take it seriously.
Honestly, in most western countries a black belt in judo is a high grade. If you go into a judo club in a european country and someone is wearing a black belt they should really be able to throw lower grades around if they want to, they should have decent newaza and they should certainly be technically sound and know all the common throws. Its not as low a rank as is sometimes sounds reading online forums. I personly see my judo black belt as a much much higher achievement than my bjj blue belt. Perhaps in terms of absolute skill a purple belt would be a better equivalent.
Its just my personal opinion but I believe it should take atleast 4 or 5 years of hard training and competing to reach the level of black belt.

On a side note, with the system in my country (UK) being what it is everything 5.dan or above is basically the same in my books. 5.dan is the highest belt you can fight for and win in contest here (along with doing technique demonstrations) and everything above it is entirely political.

Technically, you don't even achieve the rank of "Sensei" till you hit the Kohaku ranks, 5th dan and up. Very few ever get there and of those who do, it's very rare to get there before age 50, no matter how young you started.

i'm not sure that is necessarily true, there are probably many 4th and even 5th dans still only in their 30's and i know of some 6th dans in their 40's.

i'm sure each national org will vary but generally the 'fighting' dans go up to 5th dan (i.e. promotion through demonstrated skill in contest and technical ability) then from there it is generally about political/sporting contributions.

The BJA for example details the differing promotion routes and general minimum age/time at level needed for promotion. Have a read of this example promotion framework, very interesting stuff.

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/technical/documents/DanGradingSyllabusSept09.pdf

I know someone who did it in 1 year, but he was a collegiate greco-roman champion.

I guess it's not really the same when you're rag-dolling everyone from the day you step in the dojo.

It took me about 4 years of training seriously, although i had been training for another 6 before that. The first six years was mainly in kids classes, only once per week and never entered competitions or did randori, then i moved and joined a strong club were i started to take it seriously.
Honestly, in most western countries a black belt in judo is a high grade. If you go into a judo club in a european country and someone is wearing a black belt they should really be able to throw lower grades around if they want to, they should have decent newaza and they should certainly be technically sound and know all the common throws. Its not as low a rank as is sometimes sounds reading online forums. I personly see my judo black belt as a much much higher achievement than my bjj blue belt. Perhaps in terms of absolute skill a purple belt would be a better equivalent.
Its just my personal opinion but I believe it should take atleast 4 or 5 years of hard training and competing to reach the level of black belt.

On a side note, with the system in my country (UK) being what it is everything 5.dan or above is basically the same in my books. 5.dan is the highest belt you can fight for and win in contest here (along with doing technique demonstrations) and everything above it is entirely political.

I agree.

BJJ Blue == Judo Brown

BJJ Purple == Judo Black

In my BJJ club, my instructor gives you the option to wear a blue belt if you are a Judo BB.

In my BJJ club, my instructor gives you the option to wear a blue belt if you are a Judo BB.

See my comparison is more about time in grade and experience level. BJJ Purple is the first true instructor rank same with a Judo Black Belt. While I think Judo BB should get their Blue Belt quicker than average, it shouldn't be an automatic thing. Especially for those school that rarely practice Ne-Waza. While related, they are unique arts now with different emphasis.

please don't compare belts. Your bjj skills make you a Judo white belt still.

There's no need to bring into question the quality of a Judo BB by anyone.

A traditional Judoka has better ground game tha a BJJer has throws.

Last edited:
See my comparison is more about time in grade and experience level. BJJ Purple is the first true instructor rank same with a Judo Black Belt. While I think Judo BB should get their Blue Belt quicker than average, it shouldn't be an automatic thing. Especially for those school that rarely practice Ne-Waza. While related, they are unique arts now with different emphasis.

It is a fair offer. It is about respecting someone that achieved a BB in Judo.

It is not about saying that his level is at blue belt but more about the fact that they can wear a blue belt instead of a white.

But I still have to see a person that accept it.

They are happy wearing a white belt and stay at the back of the class.

A traditional Judoka has better ground game that a BJJer has throws.

that a massive generalisation and not true in thousands of cases

true.

unless the BJJ player is practicing traditional BJJ

.... which for obvious reasons looks alot like Judo.

This is the "No true Scotsman" fallacy. If I were to show you an example of an accomplished Judoka with a terrible ground game, you would simply retort that he is not a "traditional" Judoka, denying the example tautologically.

Yet you do not grant the same qualifier to the BJJ athlete, and assume they all have the same level of throwing ability.

So, your statement is pure baloney.

I'm not questioning anyones credentials.

This comparison is constantly talked about and it's ridiculous.

A black belt in any martial art is an accomplishment anyone should be proud of and does not need to be downgraded to satisfy anyones ego.

bleh.

Back