Judo ranks

Yes but once you get to Shodan the real work begins.

Here in Germany it seems to take forever....

Depends what you mean, how long after you start training or how long through the grading system?

Before they changed to theory only for kyu gradings, I saw a guy at the budokwai in london go from white to black in one grading. Beat 3 lower kyu by ippon, beat two 2nd kyu brown by ippon, then did a line up beating 3 1st kyu brown by ippon. He had already done all the theory previously.

its all relative depending on how often u train, compete, etc. I got my brown in 2 years. but then stopped training for a while. A good black belt will take some time to get, depends on how tough your instructor is at giving them out

I think the exception is Japan, isn't there a program at the Kodokan where you can get shodan in one year? I heard that in Japan a black belt just means you know the basics, so it essentially represents something different than probably black belt outside of Japan. I think in Japan, they don't care about ranks as much as outside Japan, which is why I think they only have white and black belts and sometimes brown from what I've heard but no other colors and basically everyone who knows the basics or higher is just all black belt.

It depends on the school, what country the school is in (Korea and Japan give black belts very fast) and how well you do in competition. If you go and tear it up at regional comps and qualify for nationals you will have your black belt in just a couple of years.

BJJ and Judo ranks are pretty different. While in BJJ the ranks up to black are hard to get, the dan grades (Degrees on black belt) come automatically. In Judo, a black belt is relatively easy to get (traditionally I believe it only signified you knew the syllabus of throws and could train safely): however, the degrees on your black belt in Judo are very hard to get and are a lot more important.

Depends on a lot of things, in America doing club judo regularly probably 3 years or so.

But a Judo BB is not the same as BJJ BB, don't expect to be at the same level of seasoned practitioners, or to be beating everyone under your rank.

Judo starts at BB in most countries, its probably the equivalent of a seasoned blue or a recently promoted purple in BJJ.

I live in the U.S. I train Judo twice a week and JJ three times a week. I am currently a green in Judo and Blue in JJ. It has taken about two years to get to green in Judo and atleast another 4-5 to reach black.

One thing about Japan is Judo is practiced at school every day during the week. You might be able to reach shodan in a year but you have put in the mat time.

I got mine in 5, I believe? That was 10 years ago, still not Nidan... though I probably could be.

Technically, you don't even achieve the rank of "Sensei" till you hit the Kohaku ranks, 5th dan and up. Very few ever get there and of those who do, it's very rare to get there before age 50, no matter how young you started.

Technically, you don't even achieve the rank of "Sensei" till you hit the Kohaku ranks, 5th dan and up. Very few ever get there and of those who do, it's very rare to get there before age 50, no matter how young you started.

I thought that was "shihan."

"Sensei" just means teacher, that's what you call instructors (who must be shodan or higher)

Let's not begin to compare Judo BB v. BJJ BB as they are two different things...

In Judo there are "fast tracks" that can help you obtain a belt quicker. Volunteering during tournaments and being a good ambassador to the sport can get you the dan ranking faster.

You have to/should be able to demonstrate all the waza of the Kodokan as well as know the Japanese terminology, Judo history, etc....

Much of the skill of Judoka is not just based on their being able to execute a technique, but to understanding the elements and how things work.

Some get this really quick, most don't.

There should definitely be a better criteria for what should make a BB, though.

No, I mean Sensei. I'm having a hard time finding it right now and I have to get going, but each dan rank carries with it a title, and it's not until you get to Godan that you are officially "Sensei".

Just because it's funny, my sensei (7th Dan, a BB in TaeKwonDo as well) says that the same rank in TKD is "Grandmaster".

A judo teacher is called sensei. The word sensei comes from sen or saki (before) and sei (life) – i.e. one who has preceded you. In Western dojos it is common to call any instructor of dan grade sensei. Traditionally, that title was reserved for instructors of 4th dan and above.

7th Dan is shihan

Back