Judo or Wrestling for self defence

8y5ABu4.gif

People always harp on the gi aspect of Judo, but literally everyone wears some sort of clothing and having that grip strength is key in controlling and pounding the other guy.

Even in the beach, having grip strength is going to translate into grappling situations regardless.

Wrestling is also great for self defense. In a street fight, being a wrestler doesn't mean you won't punch. You'll take the guy down, or even slam the guy and proceed to pound his face in.

Any grappling martial arts is great for self defense because you body is used to moving around weight. Even if you don't clinch or grapple at all, you have the base to tee of on the other guy.

Wrestling "but it won't work against knives, on the street" etc.

duerer2.jpg
Even in medieval times when everyone had at least a dagger the fighting style was wrestling oriented. In terms of controlling another human body it just works.

Wrestling "but it won't work against knives, on the street" etc.

duerer2.jpg
Even in medieval times when everyone had at least a dagger the fighting style was wrestling oriented. In terms of controlling another human body it just works.

That's called "Bullshido" and it is stupid as fuck.

That's called "Bullshido" and it is stupid as fuck.
So no training is better than any training?

I just don't get that theory?

Take those 2 knife attacks homicides in Portland a month ago.

Those guys were better off not having trained any blade disarm than having even a few hrs, let alone weeks or months training with blades?

RIP Sgt Richard John Best 53, who is survived by three sons and his wife and daughter.

Look him up.

You gotta ask yourself are you made of that kind of metal? Or are you content to day dream about how tough you are on the mat and cower away from actual real world confrontation?

If you ever have a knife pulled on you, are you just going to lay down on the ground in compete surrender and submission?

Maybe in your safe space world you never have to face the possibility of answering those questions.

So no training is better than any training?

I just don't get that theory?

Take those 2 knife attacks homicides in Portland a month ago.

Those guys were better off not having trained any blade disarm than having even a few hrs, let alone weeks or months training with blades?

RIP Sgt Richard John Best 53, who is survived by three sons and his wife and daughter.

Look him up.

You gotta ask yourself are you made of that kind of metal? Or are you content to day dream about how tough you are on the mat and cower away from actual real world confrontation?

If you ever have a knife pulled on you, are you just going to lay down on the ground in compete surrender and submission?

Maybe in your safe space world you never have to face the possibility of answering those questions.

What passes for "knife defense training" is so off the mark as to be useless. When the blade comes out, you will be lucky if your primitive reptile brain was smart enough to know you were playing around with bullshit and ignores all of it. The only worthwhile part of that grabbing the wrist knife fighting material is if you happen to do some pushups at the start of the class.

You pretty much have to rely on Greco ties (,Karo Parisyan's videos and books) if you want to use Judo w/o a gi. I would hate to try to grab something when someone can punch. Most of the Judo used in the street from what I have heard is when the attacker puts himself in the grappling range

As a long time MMA fighter I'd have to go with wrestling. If you can only train 1 martial art then for sure wrestling.

That being said, given the unpredictable nature of street altercations, I would say it's of vital importance to be proficient at jiu-jitsu if you can train both, or even better if you can train at a gym that offers both and/or starts a majority of their sparring sessions/rolls from the feet.

Uneven or unstable ground/surroundings could make it difficult or impossible to move and advance positions in a street fight. Having the skills to finish your opponent from multiple positions is ideal.

The style vs style bit is academic.

In reality the best choice is dependant on the quality of the club's in the local area and which one gels.

Plus for any kind of self defence doing some boxing on the side is pretty a requirement.

Nother thing I notice is everyone saying how bad Joe blow is at Ne Waza so why focus on ground based arts and not standing based arts in the first place.

Everyone goes on and on about how all fights go to the ground-which is a exaggeration of a LAPD cuffing procedure of resisting perps study-and in the next breath says how easy it is to dominate in street fight with basically WB training.

If it's that easy why not focus on whatever you like, throw in a basic understanding and proficiency of ground dominant tactics and be done with it?

By the way that LAPD study also says that the person who lands on top is 54% more likely to win. That's without being tossed on your cookies against a concrete object first...Cough, cough Judo...cough cough....

LOL!

What passes for "knife defense training" is so off the mark as to be useless. When the blade comes out, you will be lucky if your primitive reptile brain was smart enough to know you were playing around with bullshit and ignores all of it. The only worthwhile part of that grabbing the wrist knife fighting material is if you happen to do some pushups at the start of the class.
So you've tested this theory?

You're saying you are experienced in adrenal dump reaction time and response?

You have but from your opinions you have no idea that you have or how it was done.

So you have these big strong wrists, do you know how the physiology of the wrists and arms work?

How to lock up range of motion?

How is big strong wrists going to help you when a knife is being swung in your face?

I'm sure you've tested this right?

The whole point of training is to sharpen your reaction time and short circuit the flight response.

It's as if non of you have ever really thought or practiced the psychology of combat training whether it be sport or more operational based.

I'm not thinking about not getting my balanced broken or center compromised when I'm grip fighting in Randori, I've trained to make it unconscious.

It's as if you guys have never realized that process for combat sports came from actual combat training.

How many ex combat vets can subconsciously count expended rounds? It's not like their like "Ok...1...2...3..." on their fingers in a firefight.

There's a million other things like that, that are magically impossible to the sport combat crowd as soon as it becomes a not combat sport theater.

I know how to check for weapons before I pat down. It's so automatic out in public now any time I see anyone of a certain age group, physical capability and cloths choice, subconsciously I'm checking for concealed. It's "trained" into my skill set.

Not to say you don't need competent quality training, you do and theirs good weapons training available if you actually look for it.

So stupid!

Trying to grapple someone with a knife is dumb.

CFGroup genuinely seems like he is that poser guy with the giant truck and fancy army gear to over compensate

Oh no, here come his gifs

Wrestling of course

For once, in Judo alot of techniques rely on gi grips which are not totally applicable in a street fight. For eg what if they are just wearing a normal top, that doesnt have the gi sleeve nor ctollar grip. Wrestling is no gi and is applicable in a street fight

Its more effective, thats why wrestling techniques happen more in the ufc, its easier to get a takedown on the legs rather than upper clinch and more effective as their legs are what support their base

Judo alot of techniques rely on gi grips which are not totally applicable in a street fight.

Yeah, gosh, i totally can't judo without a gi

Wrestling is no gi and is applicable in a street fight

oil checks are always applicable

Its more effective, thats why wrestling techniques happen more in the ufc

yeah, it has nothing to do with the prevalence of scholastic wrestling over judo within the us. nope.

its easier to get a takedown on the legs rather than upper clinch and more effective as their legs are what support their base

yes, putting your head down and committing your weight forward is much smarter on concrete/aids needles than staying upright and sweeping their legs out from underneath of them...

8KNUC5j.gif

Yeah, gosh, i totally can't judo without a gi

oil checks are always applicable

yeah, it has nothing to do with the prevalence of scholastic wrestling over judo within the us. nope.

yes, putting your head down and committing your weight forward is much smarter on concrete/aids needles than staying upright and sweeping their legs out from underneath of them...

g
8KNUC5j.gif
There are judo techniques that dont work because they rely on the gi and because wrestling is no gi its applicable
Your not putting your head to the ground thats not how u shoot, you change your levels and shoot up, and it easier to take somedown by their legs rather then via the clinch where u have to be careful about getting punchdd

Back