Judo: one of the ultimate grappling arts?

spiderguardman said:
ive seen 14year old girls getting bb in judo so stfu

I can see that you are from sweden and then I would like 2 know who got their bb at the age of 14 as there is a minimum age of 16 until you can try 2 get your bb. Btw if u train at wasa you could ask your coach, dont you sometimes train with Polisen judo club?

SmashiusClay said:
So speaks a man who's never been heelhooked. Sambo and Judo share many similarities but they are not the same thing.

in ju jutsu (mixture of judo, karate, wingchun etc.) we do heelhooks and toeholds too.

I practice both Judo & BJJ.

Judo is without a doubt easier to get a black belt. It generally takes 3-4 years for a black while a BJJ blue belt can take just as long. Black belts mean different things in both arts. A Judo BB means you mastered the basics. A BJJ BB has mastered the entire art & spent generally at least 10 years training at a high level.

I know many judo BB's who are very good, but I tapped one particular judo BB w/ an armbar after training for about 6 weeks. No, he wasnt just toying with me. Just shows there are some BBs from more recreational clubs who probably shouldnt have that belt.

In my BJJ school, there are some long-time white belts that are better on the ground as judo higher belts I train with. It has a lot to do with the focus on mat work vs the focus on throws.

We do both. I like sport BJJ more, but I think Judo is more useful as a self defense, mainly because it teaches balance and throws on your feet. I don't think I would want to go to the ground in a fight, but if I did, I am sure my BJJ will help.

SmashiusClay said:
So speaks a man who's never been heelhooked. Sambo and Judo share many similarities but they are not the same thing.

out of interest where did you train sambo? I didn't realise there was any/many clubs in the uk.

Lets look it from this aspect.Isn't it easier for a judo guy to improve his ground game and be equal with a bjj practicioner than for a bjj guy to be equal with a judoka in throws?I say it is cuz we speak about a system that has ground work and a system that has'nt almost any throw.So in my opinion judo is the ulimate grrapling art.

blandy said:
out of interest where did you train sambo? I didn't realise there was any/many clubs in the uk.
Cambridge academy of martial arts. There are a fair few clubs now in the UK but most of them seem to be down south.

Resident A-hole said:
I practice both Judo & BJJ.

Judo is without a doubt easier to get a black belt. It generally takes 3-4 years for a black while a BJJ blue belt can take just as long. Black belts mean different things in both arts. A Judo BB means you mastered the basics. A BJJ BB has mastered the entire art & spent generally at least 10 years training at a high level.

I know many judo BB's who are very good, but I tapped one particular judo BB w/ an armbar after training for about 6 weeks. No, he wasnt just toying with me. Just shows there are some BBs from more recreational clubs who probably shouldnt have that belt.

In my BJJ school, there are some long-time white belts that are better on the ground as judo higher belts I train with. It has a lot to do with the focus on mat work vs the focus on throws.

Amen to that.

CUCA said:
Lets look it from this aspect.Isn't it easier for a judo guy to improve his ground game and be equal with a bjj practicioner than for a bjj guy to be equal with a judoka in throws?I say it is cuz we speak about a system that has ground work and a system that has'nt almost any throw.So in my opinion judo is the ulimate grrapling art.

I'm sorry but this is wrong. BJJ has many throws and takedowns based off of judo and wrestling. The reason why judoka are so much better than BJJ players at throws and takedowns is because judoka spend the majority of their time during randori practicing this aspect of their game. BJJ players, on the other hand, spend most of our time practicing the ground game. It has more to deal with the focus of the particular arts rather than a perceived deficiency in the system.

Additionally, I'm shocked at how many people are ignorant as to how difficult it is to develop a decent ground game. It isn't "easier" for a judo guy to develop a ground game than a BJJ guy to develop his takedowns. Both aspects of the game take a lot of time and effort to develop.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
I'm sorry but this is wrong. BJJ has many throws and takedowns based off of judo and wrestling. The reason why judoka are so much better than BJJ players at throws and takedowns is because judoka spend the majority of their time during randori practicing this aspect of their game. BJJ players, on the other hand, spend most of our time practicing the ground game. It has more to deal with the focus of the particular arts rather than a perceived deficiency in the system.

Additionally, I'm shocked at how many people are ignorant as to how difficult it is to develop a decent ground game. It isn't "easier" for a judo guy to develop a ground game than a BJJ guy to develop his takedowns. Both aspects of the game take a lot of time and effort to develop.

Amen to that as well. A high percentage of intelligent responses. I

I guess the consensus is both have their merit and it is good to be well-rounded.

IMP said:
in ju jutsu (mixture of judo, karate, wingchun etc.) we do heelhooks and toeholds too.

I hope this post is why you have the dubs. Seriously.

How is Ju Jutsu, the art which Judo (and Sambo and BJJ) grew out of, a mixture of Judo, Karate, and wing chun, a Kung Fu (read: Chinese) style with questionable origins?

Jujutsu/Ju Jutsu/Japanese Jiu-Jitsu is the catch all name for the various martial arts of the samurai ryus of pre-1900's Japan. It fell out of vogue when their society changed, and it came to be associated with street thugs and prize fighters until Kano picked it up and repackaged a couple styles as Judo to make it public-friendly. Kodokan Ryu Jujitsu (what it was called for a while, or Kano Ryu) got it's ass whupped by Fusen Ryu, so pulled away all their best students and absorbed the school. Judo was born, reigned supreme until after the war, at which time sanctions placed on the Japanese government concerning disarmament and a ban on martial training (they weren't allowed to have an army) necesitated Judo's transformation into a sport. The sport was most easily won by throwing, so schools focused on that the way any sport school will focus on the best way to win at their sport.

Maeda, a KRJ BB (and as a result, Judo BB) went to Brazil and trained Gastao Gracie's kids, and that's where BJJ came from. It was developed for fighting, and stayed that way for a long time, but now is being turned more and more into a sport style, and getting away from the minimal striking they trained, unless you find an MMA-focused school.

All that said, BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling, and Judo are the big names in wrestling, so they ARE all the ultimate grappling arts. I can't even name any others that aren't off shoots of those that aren't as distinct.

On average, in the US, Judo and Sambo schools train a couple nights a week, and spend 80% of the time on their feet. BJJ guys train four or more nights a week, and spend 90% of the time on the ground. In a given year, that breaks up to the BJJ guys spending roughly the same ammount of time standing the Judo guys do on the ground (since they train twice as often), and over twice the ammount of time on the ground Judo guys spend standing. Given that current model, a Judo guy will NEVER match a BJJ guy of equivalent rank on the mat, and it's easier for a BJJ guy to develop a takedown game to get it there (I've competed in both, and I've seen plenty of guys that have only done some wrestling come in and sweep Judo divisions with nothing but a double leg and a pin to their arsenal. I've also heard of, but haven't seen, guys winning on points in BJJ with the same game plan, but your average white belt that competes in BJJ will have more answers to that gameplan than the first three or so ranks in Judo. If a BJJer trains his shot for his 10% of his training time...).

All things being equal, training time et al, a Judo BB takes 3-6 years at 2 classes a week to get. A BJJ purple belt takes 6-8 years of four nights a week. The deck is stacked.

I've been doing Judo since 2001 at a school that also had BJJ, had a long break for an injury, and then did another year of Judo before getting ot my current BJJ school. I'm a blue in BJJ, with a great top game and some throws that get a lot of compliments, but aren't all that special. I'm like a white belt off my back, so luckily I have some good sweeps. My original Judo/BJJ school spent about 50% or more of the time on ne waza, because we didn't have time for randori, so would just do the throws as drills with rare one-on-one.

After a year + off rehabbing my knee, I took a Judo my division in a judo tournament and stifled a black belt in the open division, all with ground work (and defending the throws). I wound up losing off an ouchi gari because I was standing too straight after stupidly letting the black belt up (I literally stood up and called him to his feet when I was up on points, because he was doing a good job of turtling, and I didn't want to waste energy. The ref told me he was gonna let me run the clock, since I was staying so active.).

I ran that tourney on what I remembered on the mat. I got a Kimura, a Jujigatame, and a Wakigatame, and rolled the black belt with an Anaconda, but didn't feel like I was gonna finish it.

Yet all it took was a basic inside reap to end my tear.

Judo's stand up grappling is superb.

BJJ's ground grappling is superior.

Sambo has grip work and positioning innovations that could bring up anyone's game in either.

Studying all three would make you the ultimate grappler.

definitely! -- thats why judo guys dominate the adcc, pride and the ufc...
traditional judo throws are certainly much more effective than the wrestling take downs
practiced in mma oriented bjj -- I mean, look how many finishes happen by hip throw.
every judo guy that has come by our school has dominated us.
if there were a judo academy around i would definitely stop wasting my time with this bjj bs.

b0b said:
I guess the consensus is both have their merit and it is good to be well-rounded.

Just wanted to highlight that amidst all the nitpicking

Never get tired of this. Its like a fight.:)

All 3 have to adapt. All 3 have their deviations...white beating a black, etc.. Any top 'athlete' in each would make a good fight. But, to the nitty gritty...

Judo has standing that compares to wrestlers.
Judo has ground that compares to bjjers.
The rest cannot.
This is a huge advantage, if you go the way of mma.

In a straight up grappling contest, the bjjer will usually sub the rest within the 6 minutes.

The addition of striking helps judo vs wrestlers more in stand-up.

Striking helps judo vs bjj more on the ground.

In this day and age, if you are going mma, don't send a fighter to learn olympic judo, olympic wrestling or sport bjj. He will end up picking up the useless stuff people argue about.

Not to mention, to greatest mma'er to date, imo, seeeems to be judo oriented with grappling and, boxing oriented to striking. I may have considered sambo, but he has shown a natural tendancy to chokes over leg subs.

Back