Judo: one of the ultimate grappling arts?

Foul Breath

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When the Japanese police force pitted judo against jujitsu at the turn of the century to determine which style would be mandatory for the police to learn, Judo decimated the Jujitsu rivals in fight after fight.

Those who study judo know that it has 3 aspects and is a complete system at the higher levels:
1) Randori (free fighting)
2) Kata
3) Weapons (after Second Dan)

All BJJ is fundamentally based on this, and Judo black belts are harder to get. From which art, BJJ or Judo would you like to learn grappling techniques, as both have some fundamentally different ones. Bjj or Judo and why?

Judo black belts are harder to get? No way.

1st degree Black belt in Judo marks the end of the "learning the basics" stage. From there on out you refine and develop the techs that work for you. A BJJ 1st degree means something much diffrent from that.

1) Randori is good. The emphasis on randori is what has kept Judo fresh.

2) In my experience, most Judokas are embarassed by their katas unlike Karate guys for instance that cherish them and spend a lot of time polishing and refining them. Judo guys do them to pass their gradings test and otherwise they more or less ignore them. It

I will agree that judo is one of the`ultimate grappling arts.

As to the rest, umm, if I was younger and could handle being thrown by myself during warmups or by someone else training a technique then I would try to do both judo / sambo AND bjj. But since I am older, I will stick with bjj for now.

Actually your right Kanos Judo defeated many jujitsu ryu but was subsequently defeated by the Fusen-ryu jujitsu practitioners who unlike other jujitsu schools practiced almost exclusively ne waza. Then Kano had some of the senior students from Fusen-ryu teach his black belts ground tecnhiques.

obviously the guy is just getting interested in judo, but yeah, judo is the ultimate martial art.

judo is good but when you talk about stand up+ a little grappling i would perfer sambo

I know nothing of the History of Judo other than reading articles in Black Belt about it, but I will say it is easier to get a Black Belt in Judo than BJJ and that BJJ Blue Belts often pawn Judo Black Belts.
I believe this is because Judo guys put alot of time into throws and other aspects of the game while BJJ people tend to focus on ground fighting for the most part.

So the Judo guy scores a takedown/throw and the BJJ guy scrambles for posistion and taps the Judo Black Belt.

Judo BB gradings aren't as heavy in newaza, that's true, but I've met at least as many BBs that would own me on the ground as not, and I don't have any problems with BJJ blues, as far as ownage is concerned.

A real Judo black belt would beat a BJJ black belt. The stand up grappling in Judo is WAY stronger than BJJ, like there is no competition, and for Ground(Newaza), I think both arts are equal except in Judo we are taught to rush and be very fast on the ground, but in BJJ they teach u to take ur time and hold them in ur guard for like the longest time. And just admit it Judo is clearly more effective than BJJ, its been proven a couple of times over time, First Kimura beats Helio, then Yoshida beats Royce in the grappling match, even if the decision was wrong, Yoshida controlled and dominated that fight.

I think Judo is one of the best martial arts you can take, but it isn't THE ultimate martial art.

Judo_Warrior said:
A real Judo black belt would beat a BJJ black belt. The stand up grappling in Judo is WAY stronger than BJJ, like there is no competition, and for Ground(Newaza), I think both arts are equal except in Judo we are taught to rush and be very fast on the ground, but in BJJ they teach u to take ur time and hold them in ur guard for like the longest time. And just admit it Judo is clearly more effective than BJJ, its been proven a couple of times over time, First Kimura beats Helio, then Yoshida beats Royce in the grappling match, even if the decision was wrong, Yoshida controlled and dominated that fight.
What, as opposed to a fictional judo bb?

Have trained extensively with both arts and I have to say that the throwing in judo is vastly superior, but bjj has groundwork that is so far in advance of judo it isn't even funny. I'm not saying that there are'nt judoka who are excellent on the ground but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule. At least bjj acknowledges the existence of leglocks even if they are ignored to some extent in favour of chokes and armlocks, whereas even the best judo people ive trained with could have been taken to pieces by the use of a decent set of leglocks.

Judo black belts are easy to get. I'd say a shodan in Judo is pretty close to a blue belt in BJJ. You go to japan and everyone is either wearing a black or a white belt.

judo is good but when you talk about stand up+ a little grappling i would perfer sambo

Judo and sambo are pretty much the same goddamn thing, except that sambo has more rules. And don't start babbling anything about combat sambo.

I train with a judo brown belt and he admitted that a black belt is really easy to get....about 1-2 years he said. He also said that a BJJ blue belt for the most part would beat a judo black belt on the ground. Thats just my experience with this situation

how can you compare graduations from different systems?
takes you longer to get a bjj blackbelt than to get a judo one... compare how long people have been training and you just might be able to compare em.

Yozigi said:

Judo and sambo are pretty much the same goddamn thing, except that sambo has more rules. And don't start babbling anything about combat sambo.
So speaks a man who's never been heelhooked. Sambo and Judo share many similarities but they are not the same thing.

Back