Judo is a great compliment to any stand up especially muay thai

tonyazilla123

White Belt
Reaction score
I dont want any flaming but from my research it seems like judo will be a great compliment to Muay thai because of the work in the clinch. Even though bjj has been known to be a great compliment to muay thai judo looks like a pefect fit. When your muaythai clinch gets reversed into a regular wrestling and judo clinch (which happens a high percentage of time) judo will greatly come into play as judo emphasizes in throws from the clinch . What do you guys think?

huh.........pretty much every grappling style emphasises the clinch.

But judo's emphasis on sweeps and foot trips is particularly good in combination with thai clinch.

If someone enters the wrestling/judo clinch with you, more likely than not you would assume they know what they're doing in the clinch and are not clueless. With that said the judoka would have to be able to translate their judo game with gi into one without gi. Since you mentioned Muay Thai clinch, I'm guess you are thinking of judo on the MMA scale rather than straight grappling. Change of grips plus sweat plus striking make a world of difference. Its not the martial art that makes the person work, its the person that makes the martial art work. Concepts are one thing. Application is another.

huh.........pretty much every grappling style emphasises the clinch.

But judo's emphasis on sweeps and foot trips is particularly good in combination with thai clinch.
it does but bjj works mostly on ground not much on clinch from the training i have seen

Something tells me someones been playing too much Undisupted 2010. I say this because you said

When your muaythai clinch gets reversed into a regular wrestling and judo clinch (which happens a high percentage of time)

I don't really see that happening a lot in real mma other than in the video game.

lol im not talking about video game i see alot in fights when someone gets put into muay thai clinch they try to block up, push off , or get into clinch.

greco roman takedowns would be better suited imo

If someone enters the wrestling/judo clinch with you, more likely than not you would assume they know what they're doing in the clinch and are not clueless. With that said the judoka would have to be able to translate their judo game with gi into one without gi. Since you mentioned Muay Thai clinch, I'm guess you are thinking of judo on the MMA scale rather than straight grappling. Change of grips plus sweat plus striking make a world of difference. Its not the martial art that makes the person work, its the person that makes the martial art work. Concepts are one thing. Application is another.

Yeah but you can say that about any martial art in MMA, even wrestling.

Yeah but you can say that about any martial art in MMA, even wrestling.

Yes exactly! Its how it is applied. So rather than saying "Judo would compliment Muay Thai well" it would be better to explore how such as if you clinch this way you could go for x attack or if you grip that way you have an option to do y.

Let's get the no-gi judo for mma discussion going! :D

greco is great, but think of all the timing possibilities between knees from MT and sweeps from judo.

I'd rather have a base of greco roman and then learn judo foot sweeps. I think that it'd be easier to adapt then learning a shitload of judo and making the transistion to no gi with all the grips.

I think the serious judokas already have conditioned shins to, many a times have I tried to footsweep without proper kuzashi and it feel like kicking a metal pole

I'd rather have a base of greco roman and then learn judo foot sweeps. I think that it'd be easier to adapt then learning a shitload of judo and making the transistion to no gi with all the grips.

I'm gonna agree here. So many no gi judo throws are already in the greco playbook it actually interlaps quite a bit.

Back