Judo in MMA - Analysis by Jimmy Pedro

Def no pissing contest. I hate those in grappling arts as I feel we are all related, like cousins.

Nice throws. Last one lateral drop is shown at all levels of grappling, incl folkstyle. :) still more risky than a timed leg attack IMO.

yeah well not for me:redface::icon_twis, I am sprawled on and have to play turtle (not been punished for it in comp yet but still)

The only time I really hit a single in SW I stood there and figured hey an ankle lock would be nice (a month into BJJ) went down for it, only to have the guy take my foot home:redface:

I have been working some on another throw from over under grip

I step to the side of the overhook, one foot in between his legs, the other outside(on the side of the overhook) then just kinda sit down

my wrestling body swears by it but he has no name for it (wrestled over 10 years ago)

And again re GSP/Kos

some guys can adapt as thier attributes change, some can not

I mean we have seen guys like Kerr and Coleman and Randleman struggle as hell when age hits them

Well those old guys simply started at the beginning of "MMA" and never adapted their game/cross-trained much. Unlike Randy...

yeah well not for me:redface::icon_twis, I am sprawled on and have to play turtle (not been punished for it in comp yet but still)

The only time I really hit a single in SW I stood there and figured hey an ankle lock would be nice (a month into BJJ) went down for it, only to have the guy take my foot home:redface:

I have been working some on another throw from over under grip

I step to the side of the overhook, one foot in between his legs, the other outside(on the side of the overhook) then just kinda sit down

my wrestling body swears by it but he has no name for it (wrestled over 10 years ago)

I guess we're both biased (or favor familiarity) in our respect arts. Last technique sounds interesting, do you have a video showing it?

Sounds like Sumi Gaeshi without the Gi grips

sumi-gaeshi.gif

Oh I learned something similar to that sweep the other day w/diff grips in BJJ.

^^yeah but wastly different stance and you go more sideways

no name for that was what I was hoping a wrestler could provide :p

I tell the guys in my Judo class constantly; their throws don't have to be these huge, gigantic, spinning efforts. Minimizing your effort, not just using minimal strenght, but shrinking your throw allows you to have a lot more control and avoid a lot of the risks.

Now, I didn't say ahve ZERO risk, but to minimize your risk.

The sumi gaeshi and tomoe nage work decently well with your hand with strong mantis grip behind their neck. It can be dangerous, but is similar to pulling guard.....

I prefer the kimura lock sacrifice throw that Karo did. Couldn't find a gif, but here's a clip from his Judo for MMA series

Back