Judo gys in BJJ competitions

I don't mind ending against a judo black belt in a comp because they always end up doing the same mistake when you try to pass their guard, they go on their stomachs. Easy I take my 4 points and i submit

i dunno......ive only been training bjj for about a year and 2-3 months and i would never think of entering a judo comp as a whitebelt. they arent the same sport, but there is a lot of crossover.

What about the judo black belt that has been training bjj for a few months but hasn't been promoted by his coach?

Skilled wrestlers and judoka don't enter the lower skill divisions so they can win (they always try to win, but that's not the reason why they entered), they are usually competitive guys that feel that they will get tooled in the higher divisions. Especially since most bjj tourneys are single elimination.

Also, if they have been training bjj their instructor has the responsibility of having them at the correct rank for their ground skills.

Bubble Boy, You seem to have a pretty good grasp of newaza, and haven't you trained on the ground with BJJ guys before? I say it's up to you whether you compete blue or white, and it depends on your game plan for the matches. As yourself if you believe you will be challenged at the white belt level, if the answer is no compete blue. Honestly from what I've seen (I haven't been to many BJJ tounanments though) sandbagging is the worst at the white belt level, and levels out a lot more at blue. Sometimes, even, the winner of the white belt division could have won the blue.

Re: First BJJ tourney...

judogido said:
:icon_excl Awesome, mate. You planning on taking any video to post here? I'm not even gonna ask if you'll make a thread about how you went because I'm sure THATS a given....

Well, I'll probably post my results in my training log. Don't know about video or pics because I'm the only one from my judo club going, the rest are big chickens. I'll keep you posted.

Ybot said:
Bubble Boy, You seem to have a pretty good grasp of newaza, and haven't you trained on the ground with BJJ guys before? I say it's up to you whether you compete blue or white, and it depends on your game plan for the matches. As yourself if you believe you will be challenged at the white belt level, if the answer is no compete blue. Honestly from what I've seen (I haven't been to many BJJ tounanments though) sandbagging is the worst at the white belt level, and levels out a lot more at blue. Sometimes, even, the winner of the white belt division could have won the blue.

I really like this thread and don't want to hijack it, but I think what I'll say has a little to do with the topic.

I've been doing judo for about 5 years. I started with virtually no grappling training under my belt, except maybe aikido. The judo I've done has been pretty newaza oriented. I've rolled with BJJers who come to judo to crosstrian, but I've never been formally trained. I'm not young.

I want good competition, but I (of course) don't want to lose every match or embaress judo. However, I think it would be just as embaressing for judo if I wiped the mat with a bunch of white belts and won. As judogido said above, that just makes Judo guys look like assholes.

So I don't have any idea where I should compete. I'm kind of thinking that I will try white belt, and if I do well (get on the podium) then I'll move up a division the next year.

Basically I have a very healthy respect for BJJers, and that's why I'm taking it so cautiously.

I'm still green in the tournament arena but at the last tourney I competed at, I'm not sure if there were any Judoka's but there were 2 Sambo guys, both "green" belts...one competed in the white belt category and the other in the blue belt division....the green belt who competed in the white belt division won the gi portion in his weight class but came 2nd in no-gi...and the green belt who competed in the blue belt division got wrecked.

I thought it was kinda weird that one competed in white and the other in blue, but yet they were the same belt color....I wouldn't even begin to know how to correlate Sambo belt color to BJJ belts anyways.

Bubble Boy said:
I really like this thread and don't want to hijack it, but I think what I'll say has a little to do with the topic.

I've been doing judo for about 5 years. I started with virtually no grappling training under my belt, except maybe aikido. The judo I've done has been pretty newaza oriented. I've rolled with BJJers who come to judo to crosstrian, but I've never been formally trained. I'm not young.

I want good competition, but I (of course) don't want to lose every match or embaress judo. However, I think it would be just as embaressing for judo if I wiped the mat with a bunch of white belts and won. As judogido said above, that just makes Judo guys look like assholes.

So I don't have any idea where I should compete. I'm kind of thinking that I will try white belt, and if I do well (get on the podium) then I'll move up a division the next year.

Basically I have a very healthy respect for BJJers, and that's why I'm taking it so cautiously.

5 years. Advanced. Your older sure but how fun will it be muscling around with a young, strong guy. Worst case is losing a chess game rather than winning a checkers match.:)

judogido said:
What choice do they have? If they have not earned a blue/purple belt & have never competed in BJJ competition before then they ARE white belts.
Fuckin aye man. They have to start somewhere. It's like in a tourney I went in in may. There was a dude in the white belt division who was the 7th ranked freestyle wrestler in the world. Talgat something or other. He absolutely ran through the competition. Probably would have destroyed me too. I'm sure next time he won't compete in the white belt division, but he needs to see where he stands. And most importantly he IS a white belt in BJJ.

I haven't seen a Judo black belt winning a BJJ comp... Even hes fighting against with belts

well judo black belts belong in the bjj white belt division anyway. that's how bad judo is.
just kidding. but judo doesn't have that good of a ground game. they can control people on the ground but not submit that well and there is so much more in bjj that can be used against their knowledge. it's all good.

judogido said:
What choice do they have? If they have not earned a blue/purple belt & have never competed in BJJ competition before then they ARE white belts.

Do you think a Judo black belt would take ANY pride in beating a BJJ white belt? Dont you think that they have more to lose and less to gain?

If they win it's "Sure he won, but he's a Judo BB against white belts".

If they lose its "Hey look, that Judo BB just got beaten by a BJJ white belt!" - (and the white belt will be on Sherdog Grappling forum the next day with a thread about how he beat a Judo Black Belt...)

yep.... there's no pride in winning against someone who has been training for a few months, wherein you've been training in the grappling arts for years.. Ive tapped Judo browns and blacks, but its a completely different story when they do BJJ.. "The black belt in judo comes off" when they play in BJJ.... when i say that I mean... its not the level of their skill in this specific art, but they should have enough to handle a white..

ZeMino said:
yep.... there's no pride in winning against someone who has been training for a few months, wherein you've been training in the grappling arts for years.. Ive tapped Judo browns and blacks, but its a completely different story when they do BJJ.. "The black belt in judo comes off" when they play in BJJ.... when i say that I mean... its not the level of their skill in this specific art, but they should have enough to handle a white..

not really

there are plenty of judo blackbelts who suck at guard passing and submissions, so they can throw and pin and maybe that is enough to win. It's not really there fault that there are takedown points.

These judo blacks that you guys are talking about really suck. Must be a lot of judo mc dojos out there.

The 1st bjj tourny I saw was a biggie and J.P. Cantin, a Canadian judo champ, competed and placed 3rd. Lost a close dec to 1st place Rickson student. This was years ago and since then I've seen judo doing pretty well at bjj tournys. This months grappling mag shows the Euro bjj championships and 2 guys from the french judo team placed 1st and 2nd. Advanced.

Q mystic said:
These judo blacks that you guys are talking about really suck. Must be a lot of judo mc dojos out there.

The 1st bjj tourny I saw was a biggie and J.P. Cantin, a Canadian judo champ, competed and placed 3rd. Lost a close dec to 1st place Rickson student. This was years ago and since then I've seen judo doing pretty well at bjj tournys. This months grappling mag shows the Euro bjj championships and 2 guys from the french judo team placed 1st and 2nd. Advanced.

Which month of Grappling is that?

I don't really think it's a case of Judo McDojos, at least in Europe. Here black belts are generally given out by the National Assocations. The problem is that you have to fight for your belt. So you could concievabley get a black belt without your ground game ever being checked. Now they will ask you to demonstate various techniques including ground ones, but you'd have to be borderline retarded to fail the demonstrations. You can get a long way in judo without developing a decent ground game. Much like you can get a long way in bjj without developing decent takedowns.

Cojofl said:
Which month of Grappling is that?

I don't really think it's a case of Judo McDojos, at least in Europe. Here black belts are generally given out by the National Assocations. The problem is that you have to fight for your belt. So you could concievabley get a black belt without your ground game ever being checked. Now they will ask you to demonstate various techniques including ground ones, but you'd have to be borderline retarded to fail the demonstrations. You can get a long way in judo without developing a decent ground game. Much like you can get a long way in bjj without developing decent takedowns.

Checked it out last weekend so it's the most recent edition of Grappling. Yeah, I suppose I only would hear about the judoka that did well and not the ones that were beat out. Europe judo is higher than North American judo. I'm hoping more Euro judoka are going to go mma. Dave Baron of French judo is 7-0 in mma and I'd like to see him fight.

judogido said:

Do you think a Judo black belt would take ANY pride in beating a BJJ white belt? Dont you think that they have more to lose and less to gain?

If they win it's "Sure he won, but he's a Judo BB against white belts".

If they lose its "Hey look, that Judo BB just got beaten by a BJJ white belt!" - (and the white belt will be on Sherdog Grappling forum the next day with a thread about how he beat a Judo Black Belt...)
Thank you. You post is worth 10 in my book...
Its the whole, "Well he is less skilled but weights alot more..." and the "Well he is smaller but is belt(s) ahead of me..." They are just excuses. Fuck all that, fight your hardest and dont make excuses if you lose or brag if you win.

ClubberLange said:
Fuckin aye man. They have to start somewhere. It's like in a tourney I went in in may. There was a dude in the white belt division who was the 7th ranked freestyle wrestler in the world. Talgat something or other. He absolutely ran through the competition. Probably would have destroyed me too. I'm sure next time he won't compete in the white belt division, but he needs to see where he stands. And most importantly he IS a white belt in BJJ.

I heard about his performance, my friends were there as helpers/spectators.

Apparantly he only had a dozen or so actual BJJ lessons before going into the vic championships (it was the vic championships right ?)

Wouldn't a 'Grappling' tourny be different though? It's a full invite for anyone who wants to grapple.

Back