Judo guys...which association

Rip Van Winkle

Last Login 2009
Reaction score
USJA, USJI, or USJF.

Which one(s) do you belong to and if you could only join one, which one would it be?

After not competing in the tourney that was recently held around here due to my unfamiliarity as a whole to the sport, I think I'm gonna give the upcoming St. Louis Open a try if I can get a plain white gi in by then...but I think they require you to be a member of one of the said 3 associations in order to even sign up.

Why is there 3 associations?

Are they all affiliated to the IJF?

I am a member of USJA and their membership is accepted at most tournaments as are the other memberships. I think they split in to three different orgs so that they can get more money. USJA has a $40 a year charge for membership, which is not bad.

Cojofl said:
Why is there 3 associations?

Are they all affiliated to the IJF?

Fuck if I know, I'm not a Judoka...just a BJJ player who's gonna enter a few Judo tourneys eventually.

and Spoon...thanks for the information.

If you just want to do tournaments then just go with the cheapest, which I think is USJA. There's other considerations for different scenarios though. Example: you can become an official Judo club with 5 members under USJF. That gives you liability insurance for your club and a few other perks. Under USJA you'd need 10 members for the same benefits.

Also, under USJA you can't compete in "international" tournaments, like the Pan Am Games, or the Masters Tournaments.

There's a few other things and differences, but none of any major signifigance.

All fall under the rule of the IJF.

Bubble Boy said:
If you just want to do tournaments then just go with the cheapest, which I think is USJA. There's other considerations for different scenarios though. Example: you can become an official Judo club with 5 members under USJF. That gives you liability insurance for your club and a few other perks. Under USJA you'd need 10 members for the same benefits.

Also, under USJA you can't compete in "international" tournaments, like the Pan Am Games, or the Masters Tournaments.

There's a few other things and differences, but none of any major signifigance.

All fall under the rule of the IJF.

what examplifies a "Judo Club" other then just 5 guys who are members of USJF? Meaning since I'm a BJJ'er and if I round up 4 other BJJ'ers who want to occasionally do Judo tourneys....and got the to join USJF too...we would officially be recognized as a "Judo Club" even though none of us (assuming the 4 didn't have any Judo background either) had any formal Judo training?

Rip Van Winkle said:
what examplifies a "Judo Club" other then just 5 guys who are members of USJF? Meaning since I'm a BJJ'er and if I round up 4 other BJJ'ers who want to occasionally do Judo tourneys....and got the to join USJF too...we would officially be recognized as a "Judo Club" even though none of us (assuming the 4 didn't have any Judo background either) had any formal Judo training?

Uh, well...no.
I forgot to mention that at least one of those 5 would need to be a black belt instructor in Judo with all the proper certificates and records to prove it.
My bad.

BTW, if you go to a judo tournament just take enough $ with you to register for the tourney and join a judo org. They'll set you up dude.

i'm part of the USJA and USJI

had to sign up for usji for the tourney i was in.

and if you are competing in the novice division you do need a black belts signon on your skills so that you will not be killed :-D

Back