Judo guys celebrate! Yamashita breaks down his OSOTO GAR! CLASSIC VID! NEW!

This vid has skyrocketed my Osoto percentages. I feel like even the best technicians get their initial move maybe 10-15% of the time without having to use a combo or flow into another move. These three vids, have upped my randori OSOTO percentages by a huge margin already. Yamashita has one of the cleanest I've ever seen. I wish I could've been at this seminar.

LOL Drew you're very excited! Looks like a really good instructional, though. Thanks for sharing! Cool.

LOL Drew you're very excited! Looks like a really good instructional, though. Thanks for sharing! Cool.

Sorry man, I just got some from the lady and I'm just in a good mood right now and I'm starting to feel like a part of the community! Hope yyou guys enjoy!

Sorry man, I just got some from the lady and I'm just in a good mood right now and I'm starting to feel like a part of the community! Hope yyou guys enjoy!

Thanks, there's some good tips in there. I forget to concentrate enough on my support leg. The grip with toes and pull with hamstring is good advice.

A few tips he failed to mention (with absoloutely no disrespect intended to Yamashita Sensei) in the vids that I've learned through the years would be to put your hip passed your opponents (obvious, yet never fully realized by alot of players), and to use your shoulder (lapel grip arm) to check your opponent while entering the throw to further throw off his kuzishi.

Osoto Gari is a mean mistress.

A few tips he failed to mention (with absoloutely no disrespect intended to Yamashita Sensei) in the vids that I've learned through the years would be to put your hip passed your opponents (obvious, yet never fully realized by alot of players), and to use your shoulder (lapel grip arm) to check your opponent while entering the throw to further throw off his kuzishi.

Osoto Gari is a mean mistress.

Even tho he didn't mention it I'm pretty nsure he used the lapel side grip to check with his shoulder. Either way. You got solid pints too man.

Even tho he didn't mention it I'm pretty nsure he used the lapel side grip to check with his shoulder. Either way. You got solid pints too man.

Sensei Brad Farrow (3 time Olympian, 6th Dan... I believe anyways) showed me how to do an Osoto Gari with no hands and no reap... he basically got grips and just walked pass me... he said, build your throw around that...

It seems so simple, but I catch myself hooking with my leg long before my hips even come close to his...

You can throw someone straight to hell with this throw using only components of it, imagine if you build on it using them all. Kimura's students used to ask him no to do this throw in randori. ..something to think about.

Sensei Brad Farrow (3 time Olympian, 6th Dan... I believe anyways) showed me how to do an Osoto Gari with no hands and no reap... he basically got grips and just walked pass me... he said, build your throw around that...

It seems so simple, but I catch myself hooking with my leg long before my hips even come close to his... something to think about.

I used to do Ninjutsu under a sandan in Judo and he used to make me do throws with no hands in order to get my "core body movement" right. I've done drills like that. Then when you actually do add the hands. DAMN!

But actually I do one of my Osotos by just grabbing and stepping off to a rear 45 degree angle, no pushing or pulling. I just move and carry him with me and the bam, take the leg out. I think that's similar at least a little to your Sensei.

I usually do that one, this Yamashita one, Dan Camarillo's hook and hop in, and am working on Isao Okano's Ouchi entry. I have a LOOONG way to go. Grappling is a lifelong endeavor man. :icon_chee

I would go with the video rather than the previous posters.

Yeah I used to hate osoto and could never get it. Then randomly one tournament I just owned someone with it (he was a whitebelt), regardless he flew and it felt completely effortless. Been a fan of it ever since. I find I do the 45 degree step as well with the hands for a stronger kazushi. My biggest problem is telegraphing the throw, so lately I've always ended up reaching and hopping into it. I saw yamashita do it in a competition as well. I really don't wanna get stuck in that though, because of the easy counter, and technically isn't a correct osoto.

It seems so simple, but I catch myself hooking with my leg long before my hips even come close to his...

You can throw someone straight to hell with this throw using only components of it, imagine if you build on it using them all. Kimura's students used to ask him no to do this throw in randori. ..something to think about.

You go to Ishi Yama in Calgary? Or was this somewhere else?

I didn't realize Brad Farrow was still teaching ... I'd heard he just popped in every once in awhile to do a bit of randori and then leave. Brad was not just a multi-time olympian, he was in the top 5 in the world for a number of years.

Yamashita had arguably the best osoto gari in the world - and most judoka consider him the best judoka in modern times (ahead of kimura). The main problem I've heard is that the way he teaches osoto gari (traditional) is different than the way he actually did it in competition.

I didn't realize Brad Farrow was still teaching ... I'd heard he just popped in every once in awhile to do a bit of randori and then leave. Brad was not just a multi-time olympian, he was in the top 5 in the world for a number of years.

Yamashita had arguably the best osoto gari in the world - and most judoka consider him the best judoka in modern times (ahead of kimura). The main problem I've heard is that the way he teaches osoto gari (traditional) is different than the way he actually did it in competition.

I've been interested in doing Judo for a little while now, and have been investigating clubs in Calgary. He's listed as the technical advisor for Ishi Yama Judo Club. I have no idea what this entails but, for what it's worth, that's what it says on the website.

Yeah, he's easily one of the greatest players ever. As far as him teaching O Soto Gari, if you listen in the video (and just about any reasonable sensei will tell you the same) that this is only one way to do it, he has his own way and he encourages you to find yours based on your own personal strengths and weaknesses. What he's teaching is everything you need to know to master the throw, how you want to time it, come into it, break kuzushi, reap, etc. is entirley up to you.

Back