Judo guy working the bag - still lame but better thanks to you guys

Lui Hailong said:
I think, as a complete beginner, you've made a lot of progress and are getting some good power into those punches. Good 1-2. Great job! *snip*

Have fun practicing!
Thanks, Lui!

You confirm very much what I feel also, and what others have suggested. I need to work more on my footwork, balance & movement and relax some more.

Thanks for making the point about having to improve my recovery by getting my punches to be snappier. Maybe I am concentrating too much on power because there is a lot of satisfaction on pounding the heck out of the bag.

Lui Hailong said:
Oh and one more thing. I don't know if you already do this, but skipping rope is absolutely essential. It's one of the best things for your footwork.
I do skip, but probably not enough.

I see a pattern for future workouts developing:

1) skipping
2) footwork/shadowboxing
3) bagwork

Bubble Boy said:
Dude, good improvement. The first video is about where I'm at right now. You look a hell of a lot more confident and crisp in the second video.

Is that your judo dojo? How come the tatami looks so thick? Is there a thick layer of padding underneath?
Thanks, BubbleBoy.

Yeah - thats my dojo. After the Sydney 2000 Olympics we purchased the tatamis from half the competitor warm-up area for our own hall.

We have a sprung floor consisting of sheets of marine ply fitted with a number of 1 1/2" rubber "stoppers". Therefore it looks very thick. It gives a little, but not a great deal

dom said:
Use your hips more with that left jab and work on that footwork. I'm quessing you are right handed, so your left hand isnt as strong and coodinated. It's seems that you are focusing on that strong jab before throwing that big right. Practice on that more. The jab is to lead, so don't worry to much about power for it.

For that last combo you did, focus more on that body shot. You aren't committed.

For now, just focus on your jabs and that footwork. Rotate that body. Don't stand restricted. Throw those punches, don't stiff yourself up.

As for the kicks, work on that later on.
Thanks, Dom.

I am focusing more on the boxing side of things to build a good base. I dont do TOO much kicking - only a little to add some variety.

A couple of people have made comments about using more hip when throwing the jab. I though the jab should be "hipless', shrugged from the shoulder with little body commitment?

Finally a BIG thank you to all of you who took the trouble to post advice and encouragement. Your advice is much appreciated and will most certainally be heeded, while the encouragement goes a long way for my motivation.

THANK YOU !!!

Back