Judo guy working the bag - be gentle it's my 1st time

- Jab mechanics are good.
- Cross is fair.
- Kicking is poor.

You are working the jab well and should continue that,
thinking about improving speed, feinting, moving in
and out.

The cross, as someone else said, has a bit of hook in
it. You need to throw it harder, straighter and faster.
After you throw it, move backwards or sideways.

The kicking now would get you murdered in sparring.
You need to treat the bag like an opponent, not a bag.
You should find the best kicker you can and ask him
to show you how to kick a bag.

Try and focus on putting more of your bodyweight behind your punches, conciously remember that. Pivot your rear foot when throwing a cross and use that leg to explode forward. Practice the right cross in slow motion, with perfect mechanics. For instance:

1. Pivot leg
2. Explode hips forward
3. Explode abs and core forward
4. Explode shoulder forward
5. Explode tricep forward
6. Pull back as fast as you can (to protect yourself from counters)

Throw a right cross in that order (and at the same time, in an integrated movement). All newbies have trouble putting their body behind their punches, but if you conciously think about it, it'll be totally natural. Keep your elbows low and on the inside while punching. Don't forget to keep your opposite hand up by your chin, because if your opponent slips your punch on the inside, your face is exposed for hooks or another right straight.

Also, don't bring your feet together when you move backwards. Good luck!

FiendishOne said:
Not bad at all considering your stand-up experience.. One minor thing is don't so straight up you want to be bent at the knee/squatted alittle down kinda when working on the bag. You'll get more power in your strikes that way and have better movement..

(I MMA spar all the time with 16 oz gloves when I don't have my MMA training gloves handy. I also love upper-body throws and judo throws. It's acually rather fun. lol.)
Thanks. I will try and bend a bit more. Grappling with boxing gloves would definitely make you think hard about your techniques...@!

ballie said:
the punching isn't that bad for a beginner
but do mind your feet stay on the ground
the bent thing is also very true

those kicks look like there's not much power in them..
you should start it with a turn in the hips and swing your leg into the bag like a bat, and try to do it as explosive as you can, if it's a low-kick you can maybe try to lean away a bit to protect yourself from being punched in the face
Bedankt, Ballie. You are correct that there is not much power in the kicking. My shins were sore, so the kicking was a bit half-hearted.

I was unsure about which way to lean with the kick - leaning in for more weight behind the leg or lean back as you suggested against the head punch. I opted for leaning more forward, but naturally I find myself leaning back.

toasty said:
You are too square to the bag in my opinion, try to have your lead shoulder point more to the bag and not the middle of your chest pointing to it, try to bend a little...throw some hooks to the body and head, bounce a little less so you can work on getting your hands right before worrying about the feet so much...I like the fact that it hurt your shins cause that shows you are trying hard, turn your hip over a little more so your shin is striking into and almost down when you hit the bag....and tell me where I canget a MR. T shirt like that..

keep at it...
Okay - I will try and be a little bit more "side on", and bend a bit more as well. As for the Mr T shirt, my brother picked it up for me when on holidays in the USA. :D

The text reads : I PITY THE FOOL !!

deadlyshaolin said:
What a fantastic idea -- posting up videos for others to critique. I mean that sincerely.

As others have already said, not bad for a near first-timer. I have a few pointers:

- Your jab is pretty good, you have the right idea. Your right cross could be improved by rotating more with your hips and upper body; right now you're a bit too square at impact. Always remember to keep your non-punching hand up when you're punching.

- in GENERAL, your hips could move a lot more. Right now your hips are a bit static... remember that all of your power is generated from them (both punches and kicks). Be like water, my friend... fluid.

- No offense, but your kicking form needs a lot of work that is beyond the scope of this thread. Again, the hips, but also there needs to be more complementary movement of the arms and upper body.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I figured there is a lot of knowledge on this forum so I will try and learn something. I must admit I was a bit reluctant to post it initially because I knew my technique was "newbie'ish" and I would look a bit stupid. I am used to GIVING advise to newbies (I coach some judo) so I had to put my ego aside in the interests of learning something.

LOL @ "kicking beyond the scope of this thread" ... Am I THAT bad?.... :redface: I know what you mean though. Basics first, then details.

I-Shoji said:
If you like the advice you're getting ofcourse :p

@ all 3 posts: THANK YOU. I love all the advice and will spend some time on it all then post another video in a little bit so you can pick on me some more.

I-Shoji in all honesty I have NO idea where I'm going with this striking. MMA? Maybe. It is picking up here in Oz. There's a good kickboxing club nearby (Bulldogs in Castle Hill, Australia) with Stuart & Steve McKinnon - so some sparring here is on the cards.

At the moment I simply have 1) some gloves 2) access to a bag 3) some spare time. My goal is undefined other than simply enjoying the satisfaction of a good workout and the thud of the gloves & kicks on the bag.

I will work on your suggestions, especially the jab.

DiamondSoul said:
When you throw combos you may want to alternate sides as you strike, it gives you a really good flow. For example, if you striked with your left hand, follow with a right kick. In the video I saw you throw a jab-cross followed by a right kick. Avoid doing this. Instead, when you finish with your right cross, do a left kick. Left, right, left. Don't go left, right, right, there's no momentum there. Ask an instructor to show you a "Shift-kick", that's what you will need to throw after your jab-cross.

Your looking great for a beginner, well done.
Thanks for the advice on a good time to kick. I will work on kicking the alternate side to the kick, rather than the same side.

Metafour said:
Your not bad for having hardly any training keep working on your standup you will only get better. The biggest problem I am seeing is your footwork. You look kind of uneasy on your feet when your striking and moving.
I AM a bit uneasy because my footwork I think is terrible. I dont feel like I am balanced and able to move well or put power behind the strikes from the hips.

I think I will need to spend extra time on this.

chlorox said:
Rather than trying to learn the basics before going to MT class, I would recommend
going to NT classes for the basics....some people have trouble unlearning stuff...just my two cents

In my perspective, nice jab, you throw more of a right hook than a cross and you are really not kicking at this point. You seem to be athletic and well coordinated, so, you will be real good with some goof instruction (not the online variety :)
If someone posted a similar grappling video in the grappling forum, I would offer the same advice. Take some classes first, get the basics and THEN practice them. There is no substitute for live instruction.

It is very likely that I will do this, however your and everyone elses feedback are really making me think about what I am doing and giving me the motivation to learn more.

esdoornblad said:
- Jab mechanics are good.
- Cross is fair.
- Kicking is poor.

You are working the jab well and should continue that,
thinking about improving speed, feinting, moving in
and out.

The cross, as someone else said, has a bit of hook in
it. You need to throw it harder, straighter and faster.
After you throw it, move backwards or sideways.

The kicking now would get you murdered in sparring.
You need to treat the bag like an opponent, not a bag.
You should find the best kicker you can and ask him
to show you how to kick a bag.
Thanks for the feedback. No doubt I would get murdered in sparring - I'll find out one day - maybe even post a video....

My "excuse" for the kicking is that my shins were already pretty sore so the motivation for a decent kick was lacking. However, I am sure even at full power by kick would not be technically correct. Any tips?

I need to practice the proper cross & hook technique. Sometimes I was "undecided" on which one I was using. I will be more mindful of making sure the cross is straighter and faster.

ThaiJJJ said:
Try and focus on putting more of your bodyweight behind your punches, conciously remember that. Pivot your rear foot when throwing a cross and use that leg to explode forward. Practice the right cross in slow motion, with perfect mechanics. For instance:

1. Pivot leg
2. Explode hips forward
3. Explode abs and core forward
4. Explode shoulder forward
5. Explode tricep forward
6. Pull back as fast as you can (to protect yourself from counters)

Throw a right cross in that order (and at the same time, in an integrated movement). All newbies have trouble putting their body behind their punches, but if you conciously think about it, it'll be totally natural. Keep your elbows low and on the inside while punching. Don't forget to keep your opposite hand up by your chin, because if your opponent slips your punch on the inside, your face is exposed for hooks or another right straight.

Also, don't bring your feet together when you move backwards. Good luck!
Good basic advice. Thank you. One of the things i was conscious of (but lacked the knowledge of how to execute properly) was involving more of my body in the power punches. I have numerous times read the punches flow from the legs & hips, rather than being thrown from the shoulder like a jab. I will do as you suggest and try your steps slowly and build up.

you shins will hurt if you kick a bag low. after taking so many beat downs over the years, the heavy crap in the bags sink down (whatever your bag has inside, mine contains my long lost little brother..onoez!) so the bottom can be rock hard and the top be fairly soft as bags can go. but even on a soft bag i'd wear some gloves and your shins arent really wearing gloves so they can hurt.

Fight_Song said:
you shins will hurt if you kick a bag low. after taking so many beat downs over the years, the heavy crap in the bags sink down (whatever your bag has inside, mine contains my long lost little brother..onoez!) so the bottom can be rock hard and the top be fairly soft as bags can go. but even on a soft bag i'd wear some gloves and your shins arent really wearing gloves so they can hurt.
I think they're just virgin shins, mate. :wink:

Wild Dan Hibiki said:
one word if you wanna learn basic striking: bas rutten MMA workout
Thats 4 words..... :wink:

Guts to put that on here, good video more of us should do that and get opinions. Fist, if you are a beginner as most people are, dont neccessarily go straight into combos. Work that jab. Just practice throwing it out there and build up soem speed. My advice to do sets of isolated punches to start off. A set of jabs, crosses, some hooks. Then after much practice build up 2,3 punch combos get those down solid. Then focus on your footwork, also while u train wear ankle wieghts and try some feints (meaing no bag) with like 5lb dumbells, this will build up total arm, shoulder, and back steangth and punch speed. It really works, ive been doing it for about 10 months now and i still get great results. Secondly, don't worry so much about kicks now, and if u really wanna practice, do them seperately. Then after time throw them into the mix. Would be kinda cool to show another vid say in 3 months or so see how good u got. I think ima tape myself now too, good idea.

Your jab technique is good, though a bit stiff, try and flick out more. Crosses and hooks need torque from the body, so pivot the ball of your rear foot, hip and shoulder.

You're only kicking with your leg, twist your hips and pivot your base foot. Don

"Do you come from a land down under? Where woman glow and men plunder!"

I'm not gonna turn you into a pro boxer. But just some small tips, that are extremely important. Especially in the beginning so you get it right. Though you should really take some stand up classes right away. It will benefit you big time!

I can't really see what you are doing with your right, so I won't comment on what you should do or shouldn't do with it. But you drop your left abit when you throw a right cross. After throwing a jab or a cross, return the hand right back to protecting your chin.
Also when you punch, learn to pivot. Keep your chin down and when you throw a punch (jab or cross) your shoulder should be protecing your jaw. Try throwing a jab and then stop and see if you could get hit on the jaw to your left.

Hope that helps.
But like I said, you're better off taking standup classes so you can get live feedback.

Cheers.

Your footwork needs work. It's very grappler-style obviously. You need to be on the balls of your feet most of the time, and plant your foot firmly as you punch so that there is weight transfer to your fist. Also, extend your punch fully. I noticed you were contacting the bag with a bent arm on your jabs and right straight. The way you bring your hands back to your face is a good habit.

I think working with your footwork to adapt a striker style should be a main priority.

The other tips are really good too. But I didn't read them all. But good luck mang. You have good potential.

Back