Judo Era in MMA/UFC

Outside of Judo Gene Lebell's match, there has been no "Judo Era" in MMA.

I say this as a Judoka.

I will give the old school (Gracie) BJJ types props for acknowlaging that old school Judo is very much integrated into their system.

It has been integrated since day one, but there haven't been hordes of high level Judoka laying waste to the masses.

Both Severn and Don Frye had judo backgrounds prior to competing in the UFC.

Khabib has outstanding judo. Ask RDA.

Remco Pardoel Should be mentioned in this thread. He was the first to represent pure Judo in MMA.

Outside of Judo Gene Lebell's match, there has been no "Judo Era" in MMA.

I say this as a Judoka.

I will give the old school (Gracie) BJJ types props for acknowlaging that old school Judo is very much integrated into their system.

It has been integrated since day one, but there haven't been hordes of high level Judoka laying waste to the masses.

Khabib has some nice judo chops. I'm not sure if he's a hot shot Judoka, but apparently Khabibs father is a respected instructor of judo. But I agree with you outside of a few exceptions. I'm a big fan of throws, Judo has some of the best.

Karo and Yoshida already did that homie. Also fedor, while I'm sure is well versed in judo, was the first to put sambo on display and show its right up there with other MA. Unless you count oleg but I think fedor brought more attention to it.
To each their own but I still classify Sambo as judo. Its the Russian version and honestly much closer to pure kodokan which implemented leg locks than what is taught today.

That was a sick fucking throw. Even though he wasn't that good of a fighter he actually was the original man that got me interested in Judo. I knew it could be great in the right hands. I took it up a month later.

To each their own but I still classify Sambo as judo. Its the Russian version and honestly much closer to pure kodokan which implemented leg locks than what is taught today.

I have to give the nod to GJJ for being closest to Kano JJ.

> Starts Judo thread

> Fails to mention Yoshida, KazNak, or Ishii.

SMH...

nakamura450.jpg

Or Yamada, Hawn, Lombard..

Last edited:
Couldn't you say the same with bjj since it originally came from judo?

there were others who used judo before ronda, but as much as i hate her, she actually was super effective with judo; alot of it has to do with the level of womens mma and that she was a world class judoka. Still the impact she did on MMA was using judo So i'd say the real judo era started with ronda and was ended by holly holm.
sure some guys used judo tricks but I'll give credit were it's due.

Give TS a break.. he only started watching MMa because of RRR.

Karo Parysian still mixed up his Judo in mma better than anyone.

Lots of wasted talent there.
It's a shame really, if he just had the right people to help him through his addiction I have no doubt he could have been champion. Especially in the era when he was fighting.

It's a shame really, if he just had the right people to help him through his addiction I have no doubt he could have been champion. Especially in the era when he was fighting.
Beat me to it. His throws were dynamic and forceful whereas RRR its just a soft way to get them to the floor.

It was one of the coolest thing in MMA to watch UFC 1 and see some skinny guy come out a tourney winner which sort of opened the BJJ era in MMA, unless I am mistaken and it started much earlier in Shooto or something.

Of course, wrestling era is pretty evident not long after earlier UFCS, and there has been countless wrestlers who has been succesful in MMA, as well as some not as succesful relative to their wrestling career or did not have a long career in this sports.

Then, it was also pretty cool to see Machida become a champion and see him proclaim that Karate is back and for a while it seemed like it will be Machida Karate era for a bit until Shogun came back from the grave in his prime form.

For Judo, Rousey was more than likely the most hyped individual in the history of human mankind, but I do think the rematch is still a toss up if Rousey gets his shit together, if Holm doesn't lose against Tate, which very well could happen. It's pretty disgusting how people jump ship at the snap of the fingers though and the hype train just starts anew at the speed of light at the expense of another one.

But maybe, Fedor did and do represent Judo as well as Royce does for BJJ or Machida for Karate. After all, when you are in Olympic team for sports and come pretty close to making the team for that olympic sports, you must be pretty good in it.
No mention of Karo?

Couldn't you say the same with bjj since it originally came from judo?
Yeah and I have in the past but good Lord it opened up a huge can of worms. I think that was the biggest troll job I've ever done on here. It went on for almost 30 pages of judo vs bjj in an angry rant. I didn't even participate in it that much. I lit a big fire on the whole Kosen Judo is really gracie jujitsu deal and pissed a lot of people off! Now modern bjj is its own style but originally? no.

Yeah and I have in the past but good Lord it opened up a huge can of worms. I think that was the biggest troll job I've ever done on here. It went on for almost 30 pages of judo vs bjj in an angry rant. I didn't even participate in it that much. I lit a big fire on the whole Kosen Judo is really gracie jujitsu deal and pissed a lot of people off! Now modern bjj is its own style but originally? no.

Was going to hit you for having a double standard but you apparently have to much common sense. Tbf sambo has developed into its own style away from judo expecially when comparing them as sports but you're right it does have a strong judo base.

Karo and Yoshida had some great throws and subs.

Hidehiko Yoshida is as high level as it gets. When will we ever see another Olympic judo gold medalist in MMA again? He was able to hang with the very best LHWs and HWs with nothing but Judo.
Yoshida won silver, not gold.

Back