Judo Era in MMA/UFC

> Starts Judo thread

> Fails to mention Yoshida, KazNak, or Ishii.

SMH...

nakamura450.jpg

Bums don't need to be mentioned.

Just like Bruce Lee doesn't need to be mentioned in the pantheon of great actors.

:rolleyes:

Karo Parysian still mixed up his Judo in mma better than anyone.

Lots of wasted talent there.

Lol and TS just made a thread about Anderson never being any good. Keep shooting for the stars pal.

Maia, son. I was surprised when he told Ariel that he only started BJJ at 19.

Karo and Yoshida already did that homie. Also fedor, while I'm sure is well versed in judo, was the first to put sambo on display and show its right up there with other MA. Unless you count oleg but I think fedor brought more attention to it.

It's a misunderstanding about Fedor, his base was judo not sambo. Fedor competed in judo from the age of 12 to 23 then switched to combat sambo a mixed fighting disipline that include striking, basically MMA with a gi top.

anyone know which male judoka achieved (i guess ranking-wise) the most in the ufc?
is it dhk?

Teddy Riner should make the switch and finish all these heavyweights.

1d124525d8eeed98c9c0e8c4a3df136a.gif

Every fighter trains Judo techniques.

It's a misunderstanding about Fedor, his base was judo not sambo. Fedor competed in judo from the age of 12 to 23 then switched to combat sambo a mixed fighting disipline that include striking, basically MMA with a gi top.

Good post, my main point though was he was one of the first to really bring attention to the sport of sambo, more so than judo, in MMA.

Good post, my main point though was he was one of the first to really bring attention to the sport of sambo, more so than judo, in MMA.

Fair enough! I don’t know why Fedor’s style is often labeled as “Sambo” though, because the difference between Sambo and combat Sambo is pretty much equal to Olympic wrestling versus MMA and I have never seen anything about that Fedor was into Sport Sambo while we know for sure that he represented Russia internationally on a high level and medalled in Judo world cup.

Fedor took up Combat Sambo and MMA after not qualifying for the 2000 Olympics’ in judo (he would have participated for sure if he lived in the US or Western Europe!) starting learning striking from scratch, pretty much at the same age as Ronda.

Fair enough! I don’t know why Fedor’s style is often labeled as “Sambo” though, because the difference between Sambo and combat Sambo is pretty much equal to Olympic wrestling versus MMA and I have never seen anything about that Fedor was into Sport Sambo while we know for sure that he represented Russia internationally on a high level and medalled in Judo world cup.

Fedor took up Combat Sambo and MMA after not qualifying for the 2000 Olympics’ in judo (he would have participated for sure if he lived in the US or Western Europe!) starting learning striking from scratch, pretty much at the same age as Ronda.
Eh I doubt the majority of people who follow MMA know the difference between combat and sport sambo. You seem pretty knowledgeable, do you train with bodycomb or koepfer?

Fedor was born in 1976, competed in Russian combat sambo tournament in 1998, at age 21 or 22 depending on the date of the tournament, and started competing in the MMA competition in 2000.

Fedor was born in 1976, competed in Russian combat sambo tournament in 1998, at age 21 or 22 depending on the date of the tournament, and started competing in the MMA competition in 2000.

Alright, he may have tried combat sambo a bit before I thought, but I hardly believe that he put much effort into it since he also did participate in much more important judo tournaments at that time.

Remember the high prestige of Olympic sports in Russia, if an athlete has the possibility to qualify, then its priority above everything else, also for young Fedor (!)

Combat Sambo tournaments was also a pretty new sport at that time so the competitive level could not have been that high anyway.

Alright, he may have tried combat sambo a bit before I thought, but I hardly believe that he put much effort into it since he also did participate in much more important judo tournaments at that time.

Remember the high prestige of Olympic sports in Russia, if an athlete has the possibility to qualify, then its priority above everything else, also for young Fedor (!)

Combat Sambo tournaments was also a pretty new sport at that time so the competitive level could not have been that high anyway.

I could be wrong, however, i was under the impression in Russia, sambo and judo are pretty interchangeable, and Voronov, his coach, I thought that he taught Fedor Judo and Sambo growing up, I would be surprised and don't think it's the case that he only taught Judo since he was a kid, it might not necessarily have been combat sambo though, I'm not sure, but who knows...

You have now made it very clear you aren't very educated in the sport of mma or follow it close enough.

Eh I doubt the majority of people who follow MMA know the difference between combat and sport sambo. You seem pretty knowledgeable, do you train with bodycomb or koepfer?

I believe that combat sambo tournaments maybe started as a Russian "home-made" answer to MMA unless somebody can show me some old videos from tournaments that proves me wrong.

No, I don't train bodycomb or koepfer.

Back