Judo and/or BJJ techiques in Fokestyle wrestling?

I don't like to use gake actually because my legs are short and my stance doesn't like to tend towards hooking anything with my legs.

To be fair though, my kosoto gari is less a sweep and more an ankle-kick.

I never intentionally hit the gake...it's usually from an out of position sweep that I ended up scooping the leg instead.

Huge fan of kosoto gari, though.

my favourites were ouchi gari from an overhook underhook position

Uchimata or a tsurikomi goshi with double overhooks.

And that seoinage variation where you use your right arm to block their outer hip/leg. (this one was money for me) If i could fit all the way, i'll do the traditional wrestling arm spin, else i'd do a forward drop seoinage or i could stop short and use my arm to block.

kinda like this
kimuraseoi.jpg

I love no set of techniques like the sweeps. Making a grown my fly through the air with the quick flick of a foot. Makes you feel like friggin superman.

Kosoto Gari is NOT an ankle kick. It's a sweep that hits the back of thier foot with the sole of yours while they are unbalanced to that foot's ankle.

I think that Kosoto Gake is a WONDERFUL technique for BJJ as it lands you very firmly in side control, hits hard to give you a couple of seconds to advance or submit right away, and at worst lands you in guard. I'm always fishing for it when I play with my BJJ friends.

A part of the great Kodokan series showing the difference between De Ashi Barai, Kosoto Gari, and Kosoto Gake.

A wonderful competition Kosoto Gake at the highest level.

An unbelievable Kosoto Gari by 2008 Olympic HW champ Suzuki Keiji.

A rare seminar instruction on Kosoto Gari.

Last edited:
Back