Judo and/or BJJ techiques in Fokestyle wrestling?

Nearly any Judo technique you can do without the Gi (which is nearly all of them) are legal as long as you follow the "Slam" rules and go to the ground with them. Notable good ones are:

O/Ko Uchi Gari
O Soto Gari
Uchi Mata
Harai Goshi
Sumi Gaeshi
Kuchiki Taoshi
Ko Soto Gake

Nearly any Judo technique you can do without the Gi (which is nearly all of them) are legal as long as you follow the "Slam" rules and go to the ground with them. Notable good ones are:

O/Ko Uchi Gari
O Soto Gari
Uchi Mata
Harai Goshi
Sumi Gaeshi
Kuchiki Taoshi
Ko Soto Gake

Thanks. Here's a pretty good looking No Gi Harai Goshi ( YouTube - Harai Goshi knock out from throw )

The fact that someone called this kid a "***" in the comments proves just how awesome this/he is.

O/Ko Uchi Gari
O Soto Gari
Uchi Mata
Harai Goshi
Sumi Gaeshi
Kuchiki Taoshi
Ko Soto Gake

No Ko soto gari? It's fairly good.

Basically, any nogi throw. Drop seoi is particularly nice.

The video is almost 2 years old. You should see this kid now - a lil' Beast! :icon_chee

You're out in Cali, how is he doing. I googled his school, his name and can find little to nothing on him. The best I can find is 8th place at some tourney(not states)

Looks like a little Buvaisar Saitiev.

You're out in Cali, how is he doing. I googled his school, his name and can find little to nothing on him. The best I can find is 8th place at some tourney(not states)

I think his bio is up on USA Judo, but doesnt say much . I presume this kid may be focusing more on Judo competitions if his wrestling activities has been quiet.

No Ko soto gari? It's fairly good.

Basically, any nogi throw. Drop seoi is particularly nice.

I LOVE Ko Soto Gari, but it's a fiendishly difficult throw to get off as an actual sweep (Gari) and not a hook (Gake). I've almost never seen anyone get it off in competition besides Keiji Suzuki... and that's because he's friggin Keiiji Suzuki.

20040820_B1064-Suzuki-JPN-Papaioannou-GRE-o100kgs_thm.jpg

I have some strange desire to become very, very strong with this sweep but it's exceptionally difficult to find even videoinstruction on it, much less a real-life Sensei who can teach it.

Ko Soto Gake is my best throw, with and without Gi. And for some reason it's also my hardest-hitting throw!

PS - Cyberfreeq, I know you know gari vs. gake... but for the benefit of others...

Judo has plenty of applications in wrestling, pretty much any of the throws can be modified. Or at least a lot of them. Plus the principles of balance are useful, and the sensitivity that goes with it on the feet.

Having done both BJJ and folkstyle, I don't think there's much from BJJ that you can take over there. Most of the stuff in BJJ that you can use in wrestling are techniques that BJJ adopted from wrestling, like the leg takedowns, so you'll learn those in wrestling anyway. The groundwork is entirely different. Maybe you can use getting the hooks in as your primary attack from top, but the objective is much different. And in wrestling you never want to expose your back to the mat for more than a split second. So anything from BJJ that can be used in wrestling, will probably be taught in wrestling.

I think his bio is up on USA Judo, but doesnt say much . I presume this kid may be focusing more on Judo competitions if his wrestling activities has been quiet.

Anthony wrestled varsity 103's last year as a freshman. He had an alright season, winning more matches then he lost. He will most likely wrestle 112's this year.
Keep in mind that he really only wrestles for fun, as judo is his real passion.
He had another incredible year in judo though, taking gold at almost every tournament he competed in. Anthony is currently the number one ranked junior player in the nation (USA Judo - Juvenile B 50Kg), and recently took gold at the Junior Pan American Championships.

Nice Seoi Nage. Saulo Ribeiro and Karo Parysian both use Ippon Seio Nage in no go all the time, though I for one hate turning my back on guys (despite my Judo black belt).

I
PS - Cyberfreeq, I know you know gari vs. gake... but for the benefit of others...

I'm interested to hear the difference from others.

I've been spending a lot of tiime lately with the Ko Soto family...

It's funny how it's difficult for me to put it in words. :) The gake I always catch right behind the knee. At this level it's pretty hard to sweep the leg but easier to kind of scoop, or pickup the leg, which is the gake.

The gari, I like to catch right near the achilles, and, instead of "picking up" the foot with your instep, your sweeping parallel against the floor.

I don't like to use gake actually because my legs are short and my stance doesn't like to tend towards hooking anything with my legs.

To be fair though, my kosoto gari is less a sweep and more an ankle-kick.

Back