1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Juan Roldan passed away

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Seano, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Seano Hands of bone

zapataxiv likes this.
  2. ironfist05 Silver Belt

RIP, great fighter

3. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

The virus packs a mean punch, I guess.

I’ve rewatched the Hearns fight recently. Round 4 is great. Roldan was close to pulling the upset. Some guys get themselves a belt beating halfway decent fighters. Roldan had to fight Hagler, Hearns and Nunn.

ironfist05 and Absolut like this.
  4. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

He was a really warrior. As Hagler said, he had a tough road to a title. He's one of those guys that helped make that era truly great.

Absolut likes this.
  5. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Oba Carr may be the last fighter of this caliber who couldn’t get himself a belt. He had to fight Trinidad, Quartey and Oscar.

Speedy1, realdealgeale and Kforcer like this.
  6. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

really, really good fighter, had some good fights with the likes of Frank "The Animal" Fletcher, looking at his record, he beat James Kinchen too. Holds the only "official" knockdown of Marvelous Marvin which everyone knows should have been called a slip but was one tough hombre. Thomas Hearns said there was no comparison between Hagler and Roldan's punch. I saw an interview that was somewhat recent, I couldn't even recognize the man, he'd gained what looked to be about a hundred pounds. Sad that he couldn't beat it like Duran did. This thing is gonna take a lot of lives before we have any kind of respite.

7. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

I recall seeing a lot of very good fighters who just couldn't get the right breaks in that era, it's one of the reasons i'm so hard to impress with todays fighters. Just look at the middleweights, James Kinchen, James Schuler, both very skilled guys, Frank Fletcher, James Green, tough, short guys with stamina, Roldan who just had the misfortune of running into Hagler. Barkley, all good fighters, most didn't have very good fortune in the sport and either took each other out of the picture or had to fight Hagler or Hearns, (Barkley managed to grab the brass ring but he was probably the one of the lesser skilled of the bunch).

Hagler and Kforcer like this.
  8. ccm22 Purple Belt

Talk about coming around at the worst possible time. Always liked watching him.

Speedy1 likes this.
  9. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

Emmanuel Stewart was quoted as saying that Carr was, in terms of raw talent, the best he'd trained (though I know he has said that about others as well). Always one of my favorite fighters. I think he might have been better suited to 140, where he seemed to have a little more pop. Although, welterweight worked out pretty well for him apart from those three instances. Loved watching that guy; not only was he fast and slick, he had guts and desire. His grudge match against Anthony Jones jr. was an underrated classic in my book. To be able to follow the stories of guys like or Roldan is part of what makes boxing compelling.

Hagler likes this.
  10. zapataxiv Silver Belt

Rip vaquero
    Ill drink some fernet and coke in memorium

Cariñito likes this.
  11. Cariñito Broner Brodie/Canelo Cartel/Errol Express/ Double Yellow Card

He was always known to have an appetite apparently. Bought the farm his father worked on and treated everyone he knew to lavish meals, from what I've read.

12. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

well, they do say obesity is a factor with covid, amazing how trump got through it, he's probably close to being obese.

13. TheGreatA Gold Belt

Seems to be fewer and fewer fighters of Roldan's ilk as the years go by. Guy was relentless and tried to end the fight with every punch.

The stocky South American puncher/pressure fighter seemed to be a staple in the welterweight/middleweight divisions, until recent times.