1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Juan Manuel Marquez has fight date

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by 11b83, Sep 4, 2010.

1. 11b83

11b83 Purple Belt

LOS ANGELES -- Lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez has agreed to fight Michael Katsidis at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on Nov. 27.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said Marquez has accepted the terms of a deal to defend his WBO belt against Katsidis, the all-action Australian slugger.

Schaefer outlined a busy fall for his company's fighters during a workout in Hollywood on Wednesday by Sugar Shane Mosley, who will meet Sergio Mora at Staples Center on Sept. 18.

Marquez (51-5-1, 37 KOs) generally is considered Mexico's top boxer. He decisively won a rematch with Juan Diaz on July 31 in his first fight since losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year.

After failing to interest Manny Pacquiao in a third fight, Marquez agreed to a mandatory title defense against Katsidis (27-2, 22 KOs), who has revitalized his career with four straight victories following back-to-back losses to Joel Casamayor and Diaz.

"It's just a matter of getting it papered up," Schaefer said, promising another significant fight on the Thanksgiving weekend card. "It's a great challenge for Juan, and a very interesting fight for fans."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

2. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

Yeah, so... why the hell are they running this fight on Thanksgiving weekend? I guess they like blowing money without getting good ratings...

3. Lazy Man

Lazy Man Heavyweight Champion of the World

Wouldn't that be a good time to have people watching? Ticket sales might be another matter, though

4. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

Most people I know (including myself) usually are out of town and with the family somewhere during Thanksgiving weekend - it's essentially as good an idea as running a card on Christmas weekend or New Years Eve.

5. TexasDrugAddict**

TexasDrugAddict** Silver Belt

Yeah the date is strange but I will not miss this fight. I think JMM will win but that Kat is going to make him work crazy hard for it. I see this fight looking just like the first Diaz/Marquez fight. I think Kat will press Juan hard in the first half of the fight and then Marquez will start timing him in the sec half.

6. Mr2urbo

Mr2urbo Brown Belt

I see it the same way, but the only problem I have with this fight is that JMM has 1 or 2 big fights left in him will obtain some wear and tear after this fight, I really want to see him fight one of the young guns @ 140

7. McMurder

McMurder Blue Belt

can't wait, this will be a great fight.