JRE MMA Show #11 with John Danaher *live now!

Came here to talk about this. I wasn't expecting Danaher to just diss 10th planet like that.

Maybe he is a little salty that Geo beat Eddie Cummins at EBI.
Does anyone actually pay attention to social context.. Jesus

There are few things more cringe worthy than listening to Rogan and Shaub bromance. It's basically just 2 hours of dude, bro, dick, fuck, stupid laughing and each one trying to one up the other... Rinse and repeat...

Though, on the other hand, in regards to making Joe look stupid in this clip, the way that Danaher approached the whole interview and the way he asked and answered alot of questions would have been hard to make anyone look good. They were phrased weird and often Joe and certainly the audience were confused as to what he was actually asking. Im not sure if it's just Johns style but, he does seen abit condescending sometimes. Though he's obviously a very intelligent person.
No.. it’s how you try to get someone to actually learn and try to become involved instead of just talking at them.. honestly given all the “stories” people tell about him.. he came across as a good teacher with high expectations who wants the students involved in the learning process and not afraid of failure/being wrong. If people find that to be too much.. it’s literally a summary of why US education is failing

That was a diss?

No. Danaher's next line was: *laughing* "I'm sorry Joe. I'm sorry. I just had to slip it in somewhere. I'm an asshole." He was just ribbing Joe. It was completely friendly.

The way it was said. What both said right after and the general vibe came across as two adult males giving each other grief. You also have to remember that they’ve known each other for years and reference past times hanging out and talking. It’s not two strangers meeting for the first time

No. Danaher's next line was: *laughing* "I'm sorry Joe. I'm sorry. I just had to slip it in somewhere. I'm an asshole." He was just ribbing Joe. It was completely friendly.
^^

That was a diss?

10th Planet seems to be unapologetic about having no problems with submission before position so I didn’t think it was much of an insult. Also a little odd considering JD talks about how his guys attack submissions from bad positions a lot.

I think it was friendly but it was still a little diss as well. If he held their BJJ to as a high a regard as his own school's then he wouldn't have said it.

Joe did great, you need little ego to do an interview like that, being asked tricked question all the time, it was a game of : ''I know the obvious answer but I also know he's got an angle about it or he wouldn't ask''

John wasn't really asking, he was more trying to highlight that it's more complex than it seems and that he's got it all figured out.

10th Planet seems to be unapologetic about having no problems with submission before position so I didn’t think it was much of an insult. Also a little odd considering JD talks about how his guys attack submissions from bad positions a lot.
I think you did not understand what John said. They never attack submissions from bad position, they try to get good position from "bad" ones, these good positions being "leglock controls". So yeah, it was a diss about the tendencies 10th planet guys trying to jump on legs without control first (which is kind of ironic because the rubber guard system is all about a kind of hierarchical system of control leading to submission but I've always thought that Eddie himself was the only one in the 10th planet circle to really understand it...)

I think you did not understand what John said. They never attack submissions from bad position, they try to get good position from "bad" ones, these good positions being "leglock controls". So yeah, it was a diss about the tendencies 10th planet guys trying to jump on legs without control first (which is kind of ironic because the rubber guard system is all about a kind of hierarchical system of control leading to submission but I've always thought that Eddie himself was the only one in the 10th planet circle to really understand it...)

Oh got it. I recall Gordon doing stuff like giving up mount and side control on purpose and then spinning into leg lock positions but I guess that was more of him hot dogging and not part of the DDS system.

Came here to talk about this. I wasn't expecting Danaher to just diss 10th planet like that.

Maybe he is a little salty that Geo beat Eddie Cummins at EBI.

He wasn't Dissing 10th planet. He was busting Joe's balls.

Oh got it. I recall Gordon doing stuff like giving up mount and side control on purpose and then spinning into leg lock positions but I guess that was more of him hot dogging and not part of the DDS system.
I think there always has to be room for personal style right? So I believe the mount escape to the single leg x/ashi garami is a part of their system. But voluntarily letting someone mount you just to do it is probably a personal game/bair sort of thing.

Oh yeah, he did it and Tonon uses it also but I don't think that's what John said.
The main principle Danaher always talk about is about considering the position/control before the submission.

If you want, going from bottom side to ashi garami is not the same than going bottom side to heelhook, in some ways it's more "correct" to go from bottom side to ashi garami to heelhook than going from butterfly guard or shin-to-shin to heelhook. The thing Danaher stresses the most is that you need to separate the control, the dig and the breaking mechanics. Most low level leglockers go straight to the sub, the "DDS" goes to the control, then the dig, then the break. The position hierarchy can be wronged (going from bottom knee on belly to 411 for example) but when they enter the leg they go to control, dig and break. And this lack of C/D/B principle is exactly what made leglockers vulnerable in the past, they were a bit "hail mary" with the subs. John just talks about another positional hierarchy through the control of a limb (it's the same with the kimura, the front headlock etc...)

And yeah it was "friendly" but not innocent as it's the reputation of 10th planet to ignore the "details" (well, and the DDS doesn't give those away too...)

I think it was friendly but it was still a little diss as well. If he held their BJJ to as a high a regard as his own school's then he wouldn't have said it.
Once again, social context. I’m sure you’re super fun at parties

Time line for breakdown? Not going to wade through the whole thing, but would listen to that. Thanks.

Did anyone just actually listen or come in looking to have pre conceived notions “confirmed”

Time line for breakdown? Not going to wade through the whole thing, but would listen to that. Thanks.

It’s actually pretty close to the beginning. I want to say somewhere in the first 15-20 minutes or so.

Back