Joshua vs Ruiz: Anatomy of an Upset (Video)

Bogotazo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Watching these moments from the first fight all over again, I think these habits might be too engrained into Joshua's style to fix so soon in a rematch against a fighter with a style that exploited them so well the first time around. What do y'all think?

Great video. I've said before that Joshua struggles with shorter more fluid counter punchers. He struggled in amateur boxing with this type of fighters. Hell even against Takam he looked frustrated in the later rounds. Povetkin kind of gave the blueprint on how to beat him. I had him winning in the first 6 rounds before getting caught in the 7th. Unlike Joshuas previous opponents Ruiz is not 40 years old. Plus Ruiz has a granite chin and is willing to take one to give one back.

I just think Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman and expect the 2nd fight to end up the same way as theirs did.
I'm fine with being proved wrong but I don't expect it to happen.

I just think Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman and expect the 2nd fight to end up the same way as theirs did.
I'm fine with being proved wrong but I don't expect it to happen.

What is it you think Joshua will correct? Most people would say that he should stick to the outside, but looking at these clips from the first two rounds, it looks like even boxing at range Ruiz was always dangerous on the counter and controlling the distance well.

I see much the same as the first fight. Ruiz is going to come out there confident, testing Josh right away, and we know that AJ will be terrified from the first bell.
I just don't see him having that killer instinct to get revenge that Lennox Lewis had after his loss to Rahman.
AJ to me looks like hes a rabbit in the headlights with this type of opponent, and I see him being punished badly till hes stopped.

I say this as a Brit, hoping im wrong, but I don't see any other outcome.

I forgot, TS, do you make these? Either way very well done video.

Hey BT, good to see u again.
Great video. Ruiz is really fluid And covers distance deceptively quick.

I still think AJ Won’t be as tin man like in the first performs better early at maintaining distance. That said Ruiz gets him late after fatigue sets in.

Last edited:
I forgot, TS, do you make these? Either way very well done video.

Yep I do, thank you.

I see much the same as the first fight. Ruiz is going to come out there confident, testing Josh right away, and we know that AJ will be terrified from the first bell.
I just don't see him having that killer instinct to get revenge that Lennox Lewis had after his loss to Rahman.
AJ to me looks like hes a rabbit in the headlights with this type of opponent, and I see him being punished badly till hes stopped.

I say this as a Brit, hoping im wrong, but I don't see any other outcome.

Right, Joshua is definitely going to be very reactionary to what Ruiz does in there. The psychology will be interesting to see manifest itself in the ring.

Yep I do, thank you.

Right, Joshua is definitely going to be very reactionary to what Ruiz does in there. The psychology will be interesting to see manifest itself in the ring.

Yeh. Honestly I feel Ruiz is a very confident fighter. He took that KD like a champ and still came forward.
I don't think he fears AJ, whereas, I think AJ will definitely be hesitant etc.
I just cant see a different result.

Yeh. Honestly I feel Ruiz is a very confident fighter. He took that KD like a champ and still came forward.
I don't think he fears AJ, whereas, I think AJ will definitely be hesitant etc.
I just cant see a different result.

Anything in training videos or interviews that make you think differently? I'm very interested in Joshua's psychology and it's always shifting

I’m disappointed Ruiz weighed in at 283. That isn’t going to so him any favors.
That weight tells you he wasn’t working as hard as he should or he was injured and couldn’t train.

Good video. Some very good points and I agree with nearly everything BUT, and it's a big BUT, Joshua was concussed possibly going into the fight and he was definitely concussed after the shot to the temple. That is going to make him really static and he was a sitting duck for Ruiz from that point onwards. However I do agree that he has a lot of defensive flaws that Ruiz exploited, I just think it looked a hell of a lot worse because he was fighting with a concussion either before or during the fight depending on whether you believe the rumours. Either way that's going to have a big effect on how he looked in that fight. To give a more balanced tone to your video I think you should have mentioned that as it's a pretty big factor.

Anything in training videos or interviews that make you think differently? I'm very interested in Joshua's psychology and it's always shifting

Well now you mention it, he does seem to change a little in different interviews.
I feel a fire burning in him the closer it gets to fight night.
Will motivation be enough to beat the confident Ruiz though?

I’m disappointed Ruiz weighed in at 283. That isn’t going to so him any favors.
That weight tells you he wasn’t working as hard as he should or he was injured and couldn’t train.

I think that's definitely possible, but I also feel like Joshua may have given up TOO much mass and will get bullied at close quarters. His style will have to completely compliment his new build.

I think that's definitely possible, but I also feel like Joshua may have given up TOO much mass and will get bullied at close quarters. His style will have to completely compliment his new build.
Good prediction. His style definitely complimented his new build. He made perfect use of his enhanced mobility and kept the fight in his wheelhouse which was long-range. He never gave Ruiz the chance to dominate up close. Joshua implemented a perfect strategy to beat Ruiz with minimal effort on his part.

Watching these moments from the first fight all over again, I think these habits might be too engrained into Joshua's style to fix so soon in a rematch against a fighter with a style that exploited them so well the first time around. What do y'all think?

Great video.

Back