1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Joshua moving forward: what is your take/prediction?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by panem-et-circenses, Sep 26, 2021.

1. panem-et-circenses In the garden

We all know heavyweights can take L’s and still be revered, have placement on all-time lists. AJ — one of the biggest draws in all of professional fighting — lost again. He didn’t embarrass himself, but looked genuinely hurt/out of it by the 12th round. Squirming in the corner, I felt bad for his future prospects as a prizefighter.

1.) How badly does this loss hurt his legacy?

2.) Do you believe he should take the rematch?

3.) Will AJ make it to the top of the division again?

As always, thanks for your insight.

2. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

1) I think it will depend on how good an account of himself Usyk gives in his next few fights as a HW. If he cleans house, then he’s basically an ATG and there’s no shame in losing to this breed. If he gets blasted by Fury or Wilder, well, it may look different for AJ.

2) He should take it IMO. The bigger fights the better as long as he can get them. He can do things differently. AJ adjusted well for Ruiz II. Can he adjust differently for Usyk II ? I would like to know.

3) Once again he has the tools and he already showed he could bounce back. He didn’t turn into a joke overnight. It’s all about how bad he wants to be a factor again.

JSN, Jonny Ninja, randomg1t and 2 others like this.
  3. Kevster Green Belt

1. Not much, taking L’s while facing quality is better than crushing cans.

2. Yes

3. He takes an L pretty well tbh, it was supposed to be impossible to adjust to beat Ruiz.

Unrelated note, didn’t think Usyk’s style would translate up to HW, might have been slightly off.

4. Zarathustra611 Orange Belt

1) It takes the air out of him a little. He cannot seriously now claim he's better than Fury, for one thing. I'm not sure he had much of a legacy, he hasn't done all that much to be talking a legacy (beating Vlad 2 years after Fury, I guess is his crowning glory but kinda moot at that point).

2) If he takes the rematch & loses he's near finished as a fighter. If he takes it and wins he can start fighting to unify the belts again & really create a legacy.

He probably should take it, because if he can't beat Usyk at heavyweight then he has no business being in title fights any more. If he comes in stronger & actually puts it on Usyk to batter him & use that size he has a shot to win. I thought his strategy was poor not quite aggressive & mauly enough when he had his chances.

Only he'll really know if his heart is still in it though.

3) I don't think he'll get to the top, I think he loses to Fury & possibly/probably Wilder as well.

panem-et-circenses likes this.
  5. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality Double Yellow Card

Funny people writing him out already of a rematch with a bulked up cruiserweight.

He should take the rematch and if he comes in more aggressive and pushes the pace he can win definitely. There are risks he gets put down also but we know that trying to box his way to a points win won't do it.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  6. Barge Brown Belt

The division is so shallow a couple of Ls won't keep him from the biggest fights.

Yes, take the rematch. Usyk said himself camp was long and brutal, tell yourself he doesn't have it in himself to replicate that effort.

Legacy took a big knock.

7. aries Gold Belt

Yeah this. It's obvious that Joshua only has one option which is to come in and pressure Usyk with his size and maul him. He tried boxing him and he can't compete so he only has one option left. Shame Emmanuel Steward isn't around anymore.

8. Rob-G Purple Belt

AJ vs. Wilder would still be a MASSIVE fight. Even if AJ loses the Usyk rematch and Wilder loses Fury 3. They’d both be coming off 2 Losses, but STILL! I could easily see AJ/Wilder filling up an arena in the UK. If anything, this current stage of their careers makes AJ/Wilder just as interesting as ever

Randlewand and RDL81 like this.
  9. p4pfighters Orange Belt

I don't think its a good idea to take the rematch, he should gain his confidence back beating lesser fighters and then fight a high caliber fighter, if he takes the rematch he is going to lose it the same way, Usyk is just a bad matchup for him, he will never have the gas tank or the skills to beat Usyk.

10. Kevster Green Belt

He’s never going to close the skill gap, he has to try and bulldoze Usyk, next fight is as good as any to try.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  11. Seano Hands of bone

I think we'll see an immediate rematch. He'll probably do better in a rematch. If Joshua had found that jab, right hand pressure things he was doing a couple of rounds earlier, the fight was winnable for him. I kept looking for the uppercut too but he never really let it go. He had some success landing to the body in one round, then seemed to forget that too. He can do bettter, there's things he can do differently. I think we saw Usyk's game, there wasn't much new there. Joshua has shown he can adjust but his gas tank is always going to be an issue.

12. Seano Hands of bone

He won a bunch of the mid rounds just working behind his jab. The skill gap wasn't really there, conditioning was the difference.

13. aries Gold Belt

Yeah I agree. I think Dillian Whyte would actually be a harder fight for Usyk because Whyte would be trying to squash him. Hopefully Joshua can get that mentality before the rematch.

Kevster likes this.
  14. Boxiana Brown Belt

1.) How badly does this loss hurt his legacy?

I don’t think his legacy is particularly strong, even without this loss. If he avenges it, that improves matters of course.

2.) Do you believe he should take the rematch?

Yes - what else is he going to do? That said, I think he would likely lose again.

3.) Will AJ make it to the top of the division again?

I don’t think we’ll ever know, as I don’t think he’ll fight Fury and Wilder, and that’s what he’d need to do after avenging this loss. Lots of ways that doesn’t happen.

15. Dr. Stoppage White Belt

1) Clearly Joshua has some flaws so I'm not sure the Uysk loss knocks him down a peg like the Andy Ruiz fight.
    2) He should take the rematch, Feb 2022.
    3) Joshua for as long as he's boxing will be a big draw, big deal. Let's say both he and Wilder lose their rematches and AJ then goes on to lose to Wilder. He is still a big enough draw to get another title fight even at 4 losses.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  16. Khaiser Purple Belt

Going against the grain here and saying he shouldn’t take an immediate rematch.

He should fight Whyte, Joyce or ideally both. They’re very winnable fights for him.

Let Usyk fight the winner of Fury/Wilder (so Fury) and then take care of Usyk. Joshua could face Wilder in the meantime.

All going well, he fights Fury at Wembley in one of the biggest fights in British boxing history. Allows him to make bank and avoid Usyk.

It’s cynical, but I just don’t see how he bears Usyk and losing to him again would be tremendously damaging to Joshua being seen as an elite level fighter.

17. Khaiser Purple Belt

Nah, there was a definite skill gap. Very clear imo.

Even when Joshua did attempt to put it on him, Usyk was there firing back with crisper, more accurate shots. Outboxed him from the outside for most of the fight too.

If Usyk had legit elite heavyweight power then I don’t think it wouldn’t gone beyond the halfway stage tbh, at least not without a couple knockdowns.

18. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

But it’s never gonna happen though. 100m on the table for 2 fights and all the belts wasn’t enough to get it done. 1 guy wants to fight the best and challenge himself, the other doesn’t!

19. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

that’s pretty much my thoughts as well. He isn’t winning the rematch, usyk probably always beats him because of the large skill gap, but he’s still a problem for everyone else in the division. if fury wins then hopefully he fights usyk next but that never seems to happen in HW boxing

20. Popsaregood230 Green Belt

With this kind of attitude and his physical gifts, the sky is the limit. He just needs a trainer who can implement what he needs to learn. If he already has that, he will be much better in the next fight.